Goodbye Thailand.... I am GONE !!

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Udon farang
udonmap.com

Goodbye Thailand.... I am GONE !!

Post by Udon farang » April 16, 2007, 3:16 pm

Inconsistancies in governmental policies and practices, (ie. Immigration), tired of the locals trying to weasel money out of me every time I turn around and just plain tired of the dirty living conditions here. Oh.... and it is not as cheap as it was 4 years ago either. The minuses have now outweighed the positives...... so rather than sit around and complain..... I'll just go !!

Once I sell my car, Honda Air Blade and 800cc Suzuki.... I will book a flight out of here. Sure I'll come back...... for a visit....... but I just do not want to sink my roots here anymore.

valentine

Re: Goodbye Thailand.... I am GONE !!

Post by valentine » April 16, 2007, 3:18 pm

Udon farang wrote:Inconsistancies in governmental policies and practices, (ie. Immigration), tired of the locals trying to weasel money out of me every time I turn around and just plain tired of the dirty living conditions here. Oh.... and it is not as cheap as it was 4 years ago either. The minuses have now outweighed the positives...... so rather than sit around and complain..... I'll just go !!

Once I sell my car, Honda Air Blade and 800cc Suzuki.... I will book a flight out of here. Sure I'll come back...... for a visit....... but I just do not want to sink my roots here anymore.
Sorry to hear that. Presumably you are going to some where better, may I ask where that is?

Udon farang
udonmap.com

Post by Udon farang » April 16, 2007, 3:39 pm

Not sure where I will settle yet. Will visit the family back home and then search for new places to set up camp. Maybe the Philippines...... maybe Vietnam.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 16, 2007, 3:39 pm

Mexico :?: As the song goes, they all went to Mexico.

Been meaning to call you, wanted to see if any of your furniture would fit my needs. Have an interest in the Suzuki, but funds all tied up at present trying to finish house, and would have no time to ride it anyways.

I still have that CD I made for your Mac, but route to your house is such a maze, not sure I could find it. Will call in a couple of days. Doing more concrete tomorrow. :D

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 16, 2007, 5:56 pm

Udon farang wrote:Inconsistancies in governmental policies and practices, (ie. Immigration), tired of the locals trying to weasel money out of me every time I turn around and just plain tired of the dirty living conditions here. Oh.... and it is not as cheap as it was 4 years ago either. The minuses have now outweighed the positives...... so rather than sit around and complain..... I'll just go !!

I can relate. AS stated before if I felt I could afford better then I should do it.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » April 16, 2007, 11:57 pm

how long did you last ? according to mangosauce the average is 2.5 years before the expats go home .although your list is short on complaints .

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » April 17, 2007, 12:50 am

izzix wrote:how long did you last ? according to mangosauce the average is 2.5 years before the expats go home .although your list is short on complaints .
I have seen many friends, neighbors; retirees starting to lose the plot within or after only 12 months, normally if the symptoms of unsettlement are not setting in by then you have a good chance of surviving happy land for a long time after :lol: ;) :lol:

SanBorn
udonmap.com

Post by SanBorn » April 17, 2007, 2:32 am

After 14 years visiting Thailand and living 4 years there, I still love Thailand. However, over the years Thailand lost the glitter that she had but there are no better place in the world I rather be.
We are not going to find that perfect place especially in Vietnam, PI or Cambodia.
Go back home for awhile and travel to those countries and find out for yourself.

202marcellus
udonmap.com

Post by 202marcellus » April 17, 2007, 3:44 am

Not sure where I will settle yet. Will visit the family back home and then search for new places to set up camp. Maybe the Philippines...... maybe Vietnam.
Not sure you are going to find these countries to have more consistent government policies, less people trying to weasel money from you or to be cleaner.
In any event I wish you you the best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

valentine

Post by valentine » April 17, 2007, 9:39 am

202marcellus wrote:
and hope you find what you are looking for.[/quote]

Isn't that just it? What are you looking for? Utopia? That only exists in your head, and with the right mindset, can be found anywhere.I,ve found mine right here in Thailand. :lol: Your reply to where are you going? Seems you don't really know, which suggests you are unsure of what you want. Unless you get that sorted you won,t find total happiness anywhere.
Maybe a spell in the monkhood may be in order.Don't think your alone though, many of us have travelled this road. Good luck and a clear head.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2007, 10:00 am

I was just reading this on Stickman,thought it my be of interest on this thread!I have not been back to farangland for 6 years!Sounds like things are changing for the worse!

Thailand Farangland Same Same

All around me people are leaving Thailand. They're returning to the USA, Australia, continental Europe and even the UK. Fed up with recent changes in Thailand, feeling that the attitude towards farangs has worsened or perhaps finding themselves running out of visa options, there's a steady stream of long-term Western residents leaving the Kingdom.

I decided to get away the Kingdom for a few days this week. Not only did I want to escape the heat and water battles, I wanted to re-familiarise myself with Farangland. If I felt the need, could I move back?

Back in the so-called civilised world, the first thing you notice is the cold. The heat of Thailand can be a bit much but the cold, oh the cold that bites to the bone, I had forgotten just how uncomfortable it can be. It's not just the cold. Short days and consistently wet weather aren't just depressing, they can make you sick.

The next thing you notice are the prices. Were things always this expensive? It does seem that prices over the past few years have shot up and it doesn

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 17, 2007, 10:18 am

Stan that is so dead on. Sure Thailand is not for everyone. Some have other reasons for leaving be it family or whatever. Some choose to stay. I might not like everything here but sure do not like everything back where I am going. However Things weigh in on us leaving. This does not say things are bad here.

The over riding factor in my case is grandkids and hobbies. The grandkids and family I can not do to much about. Hobbies is my fault and not Thailands.

We still go through the debate of why we are returning every day. However at the end of the day it still goes that we are moving back. We did go back to see how we would like it. It is as the article says. Some thing you can not deal with by money alone.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 17, 2007, 10:23 am

banpaeng,IMO,you and your wife have stronger connections in the states than here!If that was me,I would be living in the states and visiting Thailand and other countries as you seem to be doing!
My strongest connections are here,so this is where I live and the others are for visiting! :D

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 17, 2007, 10:35 am

Thanks for posting that article Stan, I can certainly relate to it. Some of us living here need a reality check from time to time. A brief visit back to farangland usually does it for me. While I do really miss my family and friends back home, I have no desire to return, Thailand feels like home to me.

valentine

Post by valentine » April 17, 2007, 10:35 am

I have just come back from a trip to England, my first for 3 years. What that guy wrote reflects exactly my sentiments, so closely I could have written them.When I got home to Thailand, many people asked "How did the trip go?" My reply, although said in a joking manner, was actually factual. Everyone should go home once in a while to bang their head on the wall. It sure makes you appreciate Thailand more. :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » April 17, 2007, 1:16 pm

I don't have to visit farrang land the first two year I went through so much adapting that I really wondered if it was worth it. S I t wrote all the reason out why I left a 100K a year plus income to live on a retirment in a third world country. All I have top do is pull up that on the computer, have me myself a read and I don't need to buy tickets, cause nothing has changed that brought me here in the first place.

The toughest thing for me to go though in the end was the lack of friends I can trust. Still amazes me today is what expats say about one another and what they do to eachother. Oh well great incentive to learn Thai :lol:

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » April 17, 2007, 4:07 pm

It would be interesting to read from those who have chose to return to there homeland and stay. But I suppose they are no longer interesting in reading or posting on this forum. I may be among them soon.

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 17, 2007, 8:03 pm

Why are you leaving Mainer ?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 5, 2007, 5:21 pm

I lived in Thailand for 18 months,of which 12 months were spent in Udon Thani.
Though Thailand has its faults its still a pretty chilled place to live where a westerner can have a good lifestyle at a very affordable price.
I've been back in the UK now for 18 months (2 holidays in Thailand in that time) and to be honest its absolute nonsense in England.
Unfriendly people,expensive,rip off,dodgy climate.....the only thing its got going for it is the football !
My Thai missus feels the same so we are selling up and coming to live in Thailand permanently.
For sure being back in England makes you appreciate Thailand MUCH more !!!
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » May 5, 2007, 10:43 pm

There was a Canadian guy on here last year who took his Thai wife to live in Canada. I can't remember his name, maybe some of the other members do.

I seem to remember he had a heap of problems with his wife even before he left, and then in the first few months. I would be very surprised if things worked out for them. I hope it did, but It would be interesting to hear from him anyway.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”