Aspirin.....Controlled Substance?

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Aspirin.....Controlled Substance?

Post by parrot » January 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

Sometimes it's the little things that get under your skin here........things that hit you upside the head, like asking for an o-ring in Global House or depositing cash into a Thai account and having the bank put a hard sell on you to buy insurance or investments through the bank.
I've been to Forte Drug Dealer (ring road) a few times for a cholesterol statin, high potency steroid creams, antibiotic eye drops, and a variety of other things that would not be sold in the US without a prescription. Here? No problem.
But don't ask for 81mg aspirin. The siren bells go off with the pharmacist who say they need a doctor's prescription. One pharmacist there reluctantly agreed to sell me some........but her eyebrows almost left her face when I asked for 90 (my wife and I take them). Yet, she sold them. Two other pharmacists wouldn't.....not even 10 pills.
I'll have to research to find out what behind the ?law?. A real case of t.i.t. for me.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Aspirin.....Controlled Substance?

Post by FrazeeDK » January 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

no problems at the pharmacies I've used. Asking for Aspirin Lo-dote 81mg usually gets me strip packs of 20 each or so.. Just check the expiration dates.. But, I've never seen them in the 300 tablet bottles sold in the States...
Dave

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » January 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

The pharmacy on the corner by Udon Dutsadi and Phon Phisai road is probably the best pharnacy in town Very helpful and all staff speak very good English. I recently purchased the 81 mg coated aspirins for 3 people, a total of 300 . 10 to a strip at 8bt a strip.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 19, 2018, 2:51 pm

Yes, I've bought aspirin at other pharmacies as well........so my first encounter with the DEA pharmacist at Forte made me think it was a one-off. But two other pharmacists there had the same expression of meeting El Chapo in person when I asked for aspirin.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 19, 2018, 4:57 pm

The P& F Pharmacy sells 81 mg Aspirin, over the counter, has done for years

However the cheaper Thai unit was challenged sometime ago over its rights to produce and its licencing was withdrawn.

The one you can buy is Called Cardiprin - Aspirin -100 mg and Glycine 45 mg slide of 30

Pharmacist studied in BKK ( Rangsit ) and speaks excellent English ,

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

I Take 75mg Coated of which I get sent from The U.K. But went to a Local pharmacy here in Nong-Khai & Asked for Same.
Answer..............No Have & Cannot Get...??? So may have to start taking a Slightly higher dose....Safe or NOT ??

Also I Take Co-Codamol for Pain,But That is Banned Here,Because they have 30mg of Codiene in a 100mg Pill...Why Because I've been told VERY Addictive !!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 19, 2018, 7:10 pm

747man wrote:
January 19, 2018, 6:29 pm
I Take 75mg Coated of which I get sent from The U.K. But went to a Local pharmacy here in Nong-Khai & Asked for Same.
Answer..............No Have & Cannot Get...??? So may have to start taking a Slightly higher dose....Safe or NOT ??

Also I Take Co-Codamol for Pain,But That is Banned Here,Because they have 30mg of Codiene in a 100mg Pill...Why Because I've been told VERY Addictive !!!
Been taking the Cardiprin 100mg for several years (90 in box for B100 or B80 if right sales person) and it's not had any effect on me whatsoever :yikes: :freak: :fart: :wave: .......... NO ...... REALLY 747 ......

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 19, 2018, 7:16 pm

747man wrote:
January 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Safe - unless you have contra indications / warfarin , Haemophilia blah blah , acute liver disease ! OH lol

Codeine is probably the most abused prescription drug in Oz now, even panadeine with 8 mg Codeine is now prescription only. Massive epidemic

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 19, 2018, 7:33 pm

Have to test the Aussie fast bowlers for it ....... at least a 4 year ban (or after the NEXT away ashes series) :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Wow you are really paying a lot for your aspirin. AFIR the ones in the picture were about 400 Baht
IMG_3019.JPG
Aspirin
I didn't ask for a higher dose as, according to my research, the benefit comes from having a regular small dose and the actual amount required is not clear. The 81mg weight is 1.25grains so probably a standard US weight. All the studies I can find start at 80 mg
What's the best dose of aspirin to take?

Your doctor will discuss what dose is right for you. Very low doses of aspirin —75 milligrams (mg), which is less than an adult low-dose aspirin — can be effective. Your doctor will usually prescribe a daily dose anywhere from 81 mg — the amount in an adult low-dose aspirin — to 325 mg (a regular strength tablet). If you have had a heart attack or have had a heart stent placed, it's very important to take aspirin and any other blood-thinning medications exactly as recommended.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » January 20, 2018, 2:24 pm

Hi joudon exactly where is the pharmacy you buy your aspirin from I am paying 15 b for 10 and have to take one every day to regulate my blood.

There are three pharmacists two on Dutsadi road one opposite the market the other next to market the other one is on Phon Phisai just past the market at the entrance to Cabana Hotel is this the one he is the only one who speaks English to my knowledge,thanks for you help.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » January 20, 2018, 5:28 pm

Anyone tried Somboon Pharmacy, they usually have most things?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 20, 2018, 6:35 pm

Ok here is the legal situation for Thailand

http://www.mims.com/thailand/drug/info/b-aspirin%2081

Aspirin 81 mg is a Thai FDA classification of S

" S = Special Controlled Drug - A first grade pharmacist shall be on duty at the premises selling modern drugs. Sale to public is on prescription only. Daily purchase and sale record required " I think prescription only might be hospital based ??

It appears the Majors are complying with the law, for the 81 Mg Aspirin made in Thailand .

Also latest studies for Aspirin for the over 75s are showing complications and there is a move in Thailand to restrict it etc due to the complications for other diseases and conditions.

A friend of mine is a General Physician in Thailand ( Public and Private consultations) and she recommends in Thailand to use Cardiprin, as she doubts the local stuff produced is up to scratch.

See the label, Store below 25 Celsius.( above pict posted ) So has the pharmacy stored it correctly ?? have you stored it correctly ??

A good way to challenge your store where you buy your medications, ask them to see their MIMS copy ( the Pharmacists Reference world wide ) if they dont have one ! why ?? probably the shop is a Drug Store and able to only sell basic stuff , Amoxy ! and Oral Contraceptives , plus junk and whitening creams LOL

If the MIMs is out of date by more than 1 year, how do they keep up with updates ????

Some might use the Web , if they are members of MIMS Thailand.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 20, 2018, 9:19 pm

wazza wrote:
January 20, 2018, 6:35 pm

See the label, Store below 25 Celsius.( above pict posted ) So has the pharmacy stored it correctly ?? have you stored it correctly ??
Yes, and yes. Not purchased from a small pharmacy but one serving several Bangkok teaching hospitals so turnoverof of medication is high and all stock storage is chilled, as it has been since purchased

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
wazza wrote:
January 20, 2018, 6:35 pm

Yes, and yes. Not purchased from a small pharmacy but one serving several Bangkok teaching hospitals so turnoverof of medication is high and all stock storage is chilled, as it has been since purchased
=D> =D> =D>

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » January 20, 2018, 9:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uweokPBaKwY
"They" don't want you to take a baby asprin dailey, because it might save your life.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 20, 2018, 11:20 pm

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 21, 2018, 12:18 am

Screenshot_20180120-111412.png
Just thought someone might get a laugh out of this. Got it when going to wazza posted web page. Looks like they were ready to go when govt shutdown started.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » January 21, 2018, 2:15 am

This has probably been mentioned and I imagine most of you know, but if not be sure to get enteric coated to avoid stomach irritation. Athough I always like to buy drugs before the expiration date Also, most drugs are good for 15 to 25 years past the exp. date as long as theyve been stored out of intense heat , light, moisture. Theyre are studies online by Harvard or Johns-Hopkins and the US military. Ive taken many drugs up to 10 years old without problems. With very very rare exception they dont become poisonous. Seems I recall one antibiotic, but not certain.Some may slightly lose potency. Look into if interested and be your own judge.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 21, 2018, 5:44 am

BigRick808 wrote:
January 21, 2018, 2:15 am
This has probably been mentioned and I imagine most of you know, but if not be sure to get enteric coated to avoid stomach irritation. Athough I always like to buy drugs before the expiration date Also, most drugs are good for 15 to 25 years past the exp. date as long as theyve been stored out of intense heat , light, moisture. Theyre are studies online by Harvard or Johns-Hopkins and the US military. Ive taken many drugs up to 10 years old without problems. With very very rare exception they dont become poisonous. Seems I recall one antibiotic, but not certain.Some may slightly lose potency. Look into if interested and be your own judge.
With you on that. As for aspirin and codeine tablets I've got some that were purchased 30 years ago, they are still effective on the few occasions that I need them.

Though I would not be relying on outdated antibiotics (or most prescription drugs) as the dosages are much more specific and calculated to be as low as possible and still be effective, so a reduction in potency would be more problematic.

Return to “Society and culture”