Is this Another Nail in the Coffin for visitors.

General Udon Thani topics only!
vlad
udonmap.com

Is this Another Nail in the Coffin for visitors.

Post by vlad » January 30, 2018, 5:14 am

An Israeli Couple was recently fined 1,200 dollars for bringing an E Ciggerette into the kingdom, the reason being there banned in Thailand and seen as encouraging younger people to take up smoking. So we cannot lie on the beach on a lilo we have to sit in the sand without a Sun Umbrella to keep the sun off us, we cannot smoke or eat on the beach unless we take our own food as they have banned all food outlets on the beach and now smokers trying to give up will be forced to go back on the fags for there stay. Who decided that smoking Ciggerettes was more healthy then a vape ??. Is it just me or are the 1s in charge slowly turning visitors away? or are they just plain ignorant as to what a tourist brings into there country?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Is this Another Nail in the Coffin for visitors.

Post by Stantheman » January 30, 2018, 5:35 am

Personally I dought the ban on E Cigs will affect tourism at all, but hope the word will get out not to bring them when visiting Thailand so no one else gets this stupid fine. As a side note E Cigs are just as bad as the real thing, If you want to stop smoking, just do it cold turkey, I did while smoking 1 1/2 packs a day.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 30, 2018, 5:13 pm

I was always told it was 20 coffin nails in each pack vlad :lol:

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » January 30, 2018, 5:25 pm

yes but if you're off the fags and relying on a vapor to wean you off them what you gonna do if you come to Thailand some can give it up fairly easy but others cannot and rely on their vapor.

random thought
udonmap.com

Post by random thought » January 30, 2018, 6:29 pm

its a positive for Thailand. Good for Thailand. Now if they will just ban all cigs.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » January 30, 2018, 6:39 pm

$1,200 is aimed at tourists,pity they didn't give fines out like that amount for reckless,dangerous and homicidal driving.then there's the 100,000b for smoking on the beach,same again aimed at tourists.youll never hear of somchai getting these fines.as for Stantheman saying ecigs are as dangerous as cigs.dont know where he gets his info but after what I've read they are the gateway to giving up the habit and I've had a few mate give up with the help of these little gadgets.we know what Thais are like,if they don't understand it just ban it.the government want people to smoke,its a tidy regular income and you'll die early so they won't have to help you when your old and can't work anymore.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 30, 2018, 6:55 pm

I doubt that you could convince an arresting officer in Singapore that the sugarless gum you're chewing is good for cleaning your teeth.
FWIW.......last I checked prostitution, is illegal in Thailand.......yet, it hasn't stemmed the flood of tourists to the country.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Yeah, and Saudi Arabia seems to get the hump every time I read the Bible quietly to myself at Starbucks.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 30, 2018, 7:55 pm

It's all a bit of a fag really, but there's no point in puffin' n'blowin about it. ;)

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » January 30, 2018, 8:13 pm

It has ZERO effect on visitors, might even be a benefit.

Asians don't generally feel that their vices are critical to the success of Thailand's tourism sector like certain clueless Westerners do. \:D/

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2017/09/t ... ng-august/
All the top 10 supply markets are in Asia.

China, 982,212 +10.30%; Malaysia, 277,606 +9.52%; Korea, 164,001 +16.52%; Japan, 162,703 +5.03%; Laos,158,377 +4.18%; India, 116,376 +14.77%; Hong Kong, 93,136 +8.88%; Vietnam, 90,502 +9.17%; Cambodia, 82,776 +20.84%; Singapore,81,366 + 21.2%. They represented a market share of 70% of all August arrivals.
https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/thai ... tinue-soar
China continues to dominate Thailand’s inbound tourist arrivals with August ending up with 3,133,411 visits, up 8.6% year-on-year. August was the fourth month, this year, that saw arrivals exceed 3 million, the second highest after January when visits reached 3,197,053.

Other peak travel months when visits exceeded 3 million were March and July.

So where did tourists come from in August?

• China, 982,212 +10.30%
• Malaysia, 277,606 +9.52%
• South Korea, 164,001 +16.52%
• Japan, 162,703 +5.03%
• Laos,158,377 +4.18%
• India, 116,376 +14.77%
• Hong Kong, 93,136 +8.88%
• Vietnam, 90,502 +9.17%
• Cambodia, 82,776 +20.84%
• Singapore, 81,366 + 21.2%.

Most Asian nations have seen their currencies strengthen against the US dollar and they are the main source for Thailand’s tourist arrivals. January to August revenue reached an estimated 1.19 trillion THB, an increase of 7.47% over the same period last year. Tourism earnings represent 12% of Thailand’s total GDP.

August figures, and those for the eight months so far, show China dominates Thailand’s travel supply chain. If there was ever a blip in that pattern it would drive the tourism industry to hit the panic button, as it did during last year’s crackdown on zero-dollar tours.

In 2016 Thailand registered 32.6 million visits. Based on the current performance tourism officials are confident visits will exceed 35 million by the end of the 2017.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 30, 2018, 10:07 pm

OK, China is number one in tourist arrivals. Last I looked them's some cigarette puffin' mobs. Bet they don't hit up Mr. Huang for a 100,000 baht for smokin' on the beach or if they try there will be a total failure to communicate as the tour guide waves the group's flag and they all storm off the beach..
Dave

Piph

Post by Piph » February 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

Stantheman wrote:
January 30, 2018, 5:35 am
Personally I dought the ban on E Cigs will affect tourism at all, but hope the word will get out not to bring them when visiting Thailand so no one else gets this stupid fine. As a side note E Cigs are just as bad as the real thing, If you want to stop smoking, just do it cold turkey, I did while smoking 1 1/2 packs a day.
You may wish to see this before saying they are as bad as ciggerets,
https://www.facebook.com/ThisMorning/vi ... 499117122/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 3, 2018, 1:33 am

This is a TV station discussion, as a possible Pay for Advertising feature perhaps ?? sponsored by Big Tobacco ???

https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cance ... waterpipes

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/

" Besides nicotine, e-cigarettes can contain harmful and potentially harmful ingredients, including:

ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
flavorants such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease
volatile organic compounds
heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead "

Wikipedia on its own isnt brilliant but they quote the links and research which are reputable....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of ... cigarettes

androidThai

Post by androidThai » February 22, 2018, 5:46 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-ci ... ark-review

Press release

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review
Expert independent review concludes that e-cigarettes have potential to help smokers quit.

Public Health England

e-cigarettes
An expert independent evidence review published today by Public Health England (PHE) concludes that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful to health than tobacco and have the potential to help smokers quit smoking.

Key findings of the review include:

the current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking
nearly half the population (44.8%) don’t realise e-cigarettes are much less harmful than smoking
there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers
The review, commissioned by PHE and led by Professor Ann McNeill (individual’s College London) and Professor Peter Hajek (Queen Mary University of London), suggests that e-cigarettes may be contributing to falling smoking rates among adults and young people. Following the review PHE has published a paper on the implications of the evidence for policy and practice.

The comprehensive review of the evidence finds that almost all of the 2.6 million adults using e-cigarettes in Great Britain are current or ex-smokers, most of whom are using the devices to help them quit smoking or to prevent them going back to cigarettes. It also provides reassurance that very few adults and young people who have never smoked are becoming regular e-cigarette users (less than 1% in each group).

However, the review raises concerns that increasing numbers of people think e-cigarettes are equally or more harmful than smoking (22.1% in 2015, up from 8.1% in 2013: ASH Smokefree GB survey) or don’t know (22.7% in 2015, ASH Smokefree GB survey).

Despite this trend all current evidence finds that e-cigarettes carry a fraction of the risk of smoking.

Emerging evidence suggests some of the highest successful quit rates are now seen among smokers who use an e-cigarette and also receive additional support from their local stop smoking services.

Professor Kevin Fenton, Director of Health and Wellbeing at Public Health England said:

Smoking remains England’s number one killer and the best thing a smoker can do is to quit completely, now and forever.

E-cigarettes are not completely risk free but when compared to smoking, evidence shows they carry just a fraction of the harm. The problem is people increasingly think they are at least as harmful and this may be keeping millions of smokers from quitting. Local stop smoking services should look to support e-cigarette users in their journey to quitting completely.

Professor Ann McNeill, individual’s College London and independent author of the review, said:

There is no evidence that e-cigarettes are undermining England’s falling smoking rates. Instead the evidence consistently finds that e-cigarettes are another tool for stopping smoking and in my view smokers should try vaping and vapers should stop smoking entirely.

E-cigarettes could be a game changer in public health in particular by reducing the enormous health inequalities caused by smoking.

Professor Peter Hajek, Queen Mary University London and independent author of the review said:

My reading of the evidence is that smokers who switch to vaping remove almost all the risks smoking poses to their health. Smokers differ in their needs and I would advise them not to give up on e-cigarettes if they do not like the first one they try. It may take some experimentation with different products and e-liquids to find the right one.

Professor Linda Bauld, Cancer Research UK’s expert in cancer prevention, said:

Fears that e-cigarettes have made smoking seem normal again or even led to people taking up tobacco smoking are not so far being realised based on the evidence assessed by this important independent review. In fact, the overall evidence points to e-cigarettes actually helping people to give up smoking tobacco.

Free Stop Smoking Services remain the most effective way for people to quit but we recognise the potential benefits for e-cigarettes in helping large numbers of people move away from tobacco.

Cancer Research UK is funding more research to deal with the unanswered questions around these products including the longer-term impact.

Lisa Surtees, acting director at Fresh Smoke Free North East, the first region where all local stop smoking services are actively promoted as e-cigarette friendly, said:

Despite making great strides to reduce smoking, tobacco is still our biggest killer. Our region has always kept an open mind towards using electronic cigarettes as we can see the massive potential health benefits from switching.

All of our local NHS Stop Smoking Services now proactively welcome anyone who wants to use these devices as part of their quit attempt and increase their chance of success.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » February 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

arjay wrote:
January 30, 2018, 7:55 pm
It's all a bit of a fag really, but there's no point in puffin- n- blowin about it. ;)
As my Dad used to say, as he sucked contentedly on his pipe: "Remember Son, it isn't the cough that carries you off; its' the coffin they carry you off in!" :-k :D

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » February 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

I gave up smoking nearly twelve years ago I now have chronic emphysema it was officially diagnosed after a CT scan at the Military Hospital eighteen months ago, to late now but I wish I had never taken up the filthy habit.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”