Transferring money back to the UK

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Post Reply
Tony888sp5
udonmap.com
Posts: 40
Joined: January 30, 2016, 10:26 am

Transferring money back to the UK

Post by Tony888sp5 » April 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Hi
Looking to transfer money back to the UK, already cleared it with my bank here and UK
No problem with the transfer, but is there a better way than through the banks?
Was also going to leave it until after Songcram...thinking the exchange rate will be lower because of all the holiday makers, but will that work in my favour?
Cheers

Fatone
udonmap.com
Posts: 98
Joined: March 1, 2017, 6:37 pm
Location: Bundaberg Australia

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by Fatone » April 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Transferwise

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 2470
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by tamada » April 13, 2018, 7:41 pm

Fatone wrote:
April 11, 2018, 5:30 pm
Transferwise
I've heard good things about transferwise and sending money from UK to Thailand but don't know if they can be used to send it back the other way. AFAIK, Thai banks want to know where the money came from before it can be sent overseas, ie. locally paid salary repatriation, funds from the sale of condo, etc., all with the proper paperwork. If they can do it all online without headaches, that would be really good.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 716
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by Marcosteffano » April 14, 2018, 4:48 pm

Tony888sp5 wrote:
April 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Hi
Looking to transfer money back to the UK, already cleared it with my bank here and UK
No problem with the transfer, but is there a better way than through the banks?
Was also going to leave it until after Songcram...thinking the exchange rate will be lower because of all the holiday makers, but will that work in my favour?
Cheers
Wouldn't use any banks.try ukforex,best rate and done in a couple of days.same company under new name.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 718
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
April 14, 2018, 4:48 pm
Tony888sp5 wrote:
April 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Hi
Looking to transfer money back to the UK, already cleared it with my bank here and UK
No problem with the transfer, but is there a better way than through the banks?
Was also going to leave it until after Songcram...thinking the exchange rate will be lower because of all the holiday makers, but will that work in my favour?
Cheers
Wouldn't use any banks.try ukforex,best rate and done in a couple of days.same company under new name.
I was looking at exchange rates just before coming back from my trip this month, if I had used ukforex (I have an account with them) I would have lost about ฿5,000
YMMV
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 716
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by Marcosteffano » April 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 15, 2018, 12:36 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
April 14, 2018, 4:48 pm
Tony888sp5 wrote:
April 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Hi
Looking to transfer money back to the UK, already cleared it with my bank here and UK
No problem with the transfer, but is there a better way than through the banks?
Was also going to leave it until after Songcram...thinking the exchange rate will be lower because of all the holiday makers, but will that work in my favour?
Cheers
Wouldn't use any banks.try ukforex,best rate and done in a couple of days.same company under new name.
I was looking at exchange rates just before coming back from my trip this month, if I had used ukforex (I have an account with them) I would have lost about ฿5,000
YMMV
Im suprised at that.just compared transferwise and ukforex and they are nearly the same to withing 0.25b.dont know what charges transferwise was but when I moved money here it was free and I couldn't find a better way.maybe changing hands and now being ofx has a little to do with it.anyway they don't seem to move money out of Thailand so that's the end of that.deffo wouldn't look at a bank.when I was in the uk my bank offered to send it to bkk bank...would of lost 500,000b yes 500,000b for an electronic transfer.

thighlander
udonmap.com
Posts: 181
Joined: June 6, 2012, 1:26 pm

Re: Transferring money back to the UK

Post by thighlander » April 16, 2018, 11:37 pm

I have been sending chunks of 300k back..no paperwork required, but bank employees like to make up rules. Took five hours to show up in brokerage account..400 THB...

Post Reply

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest