Is electricity gouging going to end?

General Udon Thani topics only!
thighlander
udonmap.com

Is electricity gouging going to end?

Post by thighlander » April 26, 2018, 3:37 am

any local reports? The new laws are clear. Will they comply?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Is electricity gouging going to end?

Post by Stantheman » April 26, 2018, 4:36 am

Wonder if they can skirt the new law by installing electric meters for each rental unit, thus saying it's the electric company that is charging you.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 26, 2018, 5:50 am

Any link for reference?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 26, 2018, 6:28 am

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 26, 2018, 6:34 am

We’ve always had separate meters on each apartment for water and gas and in the past we’ve charged a little bit more to cover the cost of lighting, cctv, fire alarms, wifi and cleaning etc. Now with the new laws, and I believe everyone will comply, we will just charge each unit at the unit cost set by the utility companies according to the readings on the meters. However, this comes with a downside, it means that the lights will be put on sensors instead of being on all night, the WiFi will be downgraded and we will charge each room a monthly service charge. I think rents will also need to go up, some owners have already put them up and we are currently mulling this one over ourselves, lots of people have borrowed from banks to build rentals, no one will operate at a loss and the loans have to be paid off somehow. Fortunately I don’t have loans but the vast majority do.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » April 26, 2018, 9:39 am

bad WI-FI will certainly clear out the masses. I believe there is some type of meter that uses prepaid cards...that would be a solution to avoid deadbeats and the costs of billing it. Personally, I would rather pay more for rent, and not get extorted. I went from Government rate with an inverter to 8 per unit with a 10 year old ac...so it is about like paying quadruple for ac.....amazing how they do rarely clean the filters in an otherwise clean building. I did get a 10% discount on rent, just to make the deal..so the renters are still in control. What's next? paying for the guy sleeping at the entrance every night?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2019, 5:40 pm

Just looking at last month’s Electricity Bills for the House and the Rate that they Charge pre Consumption Unit.
Have two meters feeding into the Property (one from the front Soi and one from the rear Soi)

I am on the south side of the Ring Road, on the outer edge of the Ban Chan District
Meter 1: The Rate per Consumption Unit was 4.274 Baht (before a FT Discount of -0.116...& before adding back 7% VAT)
Meter 2: The Rate per Consumption Unit was 4.129 Baht (before a FT Discount of -0.116...& before adding back 7% VAT)

Just wondered whether anyone in the Ban Chan area or close by, has had a recent look at their Cost Rate per Consumption Unit. Would be interested in know if my Rate per Consumption Unit is higher that the norm for the Area or higher than the norm throughout the general Udon Thani city wide area.

Between the two meters, I am running at a combined 1,750 Units per Month, at present, with AC's etc. going :-& 8-[

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 8, 2019, 5:40 pm
Just looking at last month’s Electricity Bills for the House and the Rate that they Charge pre Consumption Unit.
Have two meters feeding into the Property (one from the front Soi and one from the rear Soi)

I am on the south side of the Ring Road, on the outer edge of the Ban Chan District
Meter 1: The Rate per Consumption Unit was 4.274 Baht (before a FT Discount of -0.116...& before adding back 7% VAT)
Meter 2: The Rate per Consumption Unit was 4.129 Baht (before a FT Discount of -0.116...& before adding back 7% VAT)

Just wondered whether anyone in the Ban Chan area or close by, has had a recent look at their Cost Rate per Consumption Unit. Would be interested in know if my Rate per Consumption Unit is higher that the norm for the Area or higher than the norm throughout the general Udon Thani city wide area.

Between the two meters, I am running at a combined 1,750 Units per Month, at present, with AC's etc. going :-& 8-[

pipoz444
On the old rate you bill should have been 7,781 Baht so probably 3~4 hundred more on the new rate. You are probably paying less than that as your lower rate power is double what it should be.

There is no single rate per KWh so you can't say that one rate was different to the other unless you used exactly the same Amount of power on both meters the older rates (before the recent increase) are under
IMG_7514-2.jpeg
This is one of the reasons that the PEA is extremely reluctant to allow 2 meters for a single house.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on June 9, 2019, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2019, 6:25 pm

Re On the old rate you bill should have been 7,781 Baht so probably 3~4 hundred. You are probably paying less than that as your lower rate power is double what it should be.

Not sure what you mean "You are probably paying less than that as your lower rate power is double what it should be". I am paying about TB 7,350 combined, for both Meters 1 and 2.

When you say my "your lower rate power is double what it should be", are you saying the Rate would be higher again, (more than 4.274 per Consumption Unit) if all the Supply was running through a Single Meter.

I should explain both meters dont go to the one House
Meter 1, serves the Main House & Garage, built over Chanote Titles 1 & 2 - These are on one Regsitered Blue Book.
Meter 2, serves the Studio, Workshop & Kitchen, built over Chanote Titles 3, 4 & 5 . These buildings fall under another separate Regsitered Blue Book.

I once had a fence between Chanote Titles 1 & 2 and Chanote Titles 3, 4 & 5, but I removed it.

Hence two Blue Books are for the property as a whole, combined and a meter goes with each Blue Book.

pipoz4444

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 8, 2019, 7:09 pm

Pea rates are based on the type of service they provide Type 1.1, type 1.2, type 1.3 etc and the number of units ( kwh) used, therefore to evaluate your billing you need to know these 2 factors.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

the-monk wrote:
June 8, 2019, 7:09 pm
Pea rates are based on the type of service they provide Type 1.1, type 1.2, type 1.3 etc and the number of units ( kwh) used, therefore to evaluate your billing you need to know these 2 factors.
Ok thanks

I will ask someone to translate the Bills for me tomorrow

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 9:21 am

the-monk wrote:
There is also the point that the charge per unit is also different depending on the number of units used as shown in the chart above.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 9:45 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 8, 2019, 6:25 pm
Re On the old rate you bill should have been 7,781 Baht so probably 3~4 hundred. You are probably paying less than that as your lower rate power is double what it should be.

Not sure what you mean "You are probably paying less than that as your lower rate power is double what it should be". I am paying about TB 7,350 combined, for both Meters 1 and 2.
Under the old rate (that is a little less than the new one ) with a single meter you would have paid 7,781 Baht but because you are paying for two independent properties even with the price increases you are paying less than that.
pipoz4444 wrote:

When you say my "your lower rate power is double what it should be", are you saying the Rate would be higher again, (more than 4.274 per Consumption Unit) if all the Supply was running through a Single Meter.
Your cost of 4.274 per unit is only an average assuming that you are just dividing the amount due by the number of units, it is not the actual cost per unit, as you haven't split out tha monthly service charge nor the separate costs for the lower cost units
pipoz4444 wrote:
I should explain both meters dont go to the one House
Meter 1, serves the Main House & Garage, built over Chanote Titles 1 & 2 - These are on one Regsitered Blue Book.
Meter 2, serves the Studio, Workshop & Kitchen, built over Chanote Titles 3, 4 & 5 . These buildings fall under another separate Regsitered Blue Book.

I once had a fence between Chanote Titles 1 & 2 and Chanote Titles 3, 4 & 5, but I removed it.

Hence two Blue Books are for the property as a whole, combined and a meter goes with each Blue Book.

pipoz4444
That is then a different case as your original post suggests that the meters feed the same property, rather than 2 adjoining properties. So there is nothing wrong with having separate meters , but the average cost per unit is very unlikely to ever be the same. The chart I posted explains why.

The PEA Smart+ app was giving an estimated cost that was accurate to the single Baht. Though AFIK it is now a bit under due to the price change
IMG_7519-2.jpeg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 9:56 am

the-monk wrote:
Virtually every house paying more than around 550 Baht a month with a 5/15 meter, also every house with a 15/45, & 30/100 is on the 1.1.2 tariff.

The old charges are here in the left hand column, the service charge was 38.22 Baht
IMG_7521-2.jpeg
boi.go.th wrote:1. Customer with installed meter less than 5 Amp, 200 V., 1 phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.1. However, if monthly consumption is over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, the customer will be reclassified under 1.1.2 for the following month; and if monthly consumption is not over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, the customer will be reclassified under 1.1.1 for the following month.
2. Customer with installed meter over 5 Amp, 220 V., 1 Phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.2.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 9, 2019, 10:20 am

Thanks for that (the Calculator) STWW

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 9, 2019, 10:20 am
Thanks for that (the Calculator) STWW
It's available in the Apple Thai App Store and is called PEA Smart+ It lets you pay your bills singly or together and keeps a history, you can have more than 1 meter (we have 3)
IMG_7529-2.jpeg
IMG_7528-2.jpeg
If you do the math you will see that the average cost per unit is variable between 3.9 and 4.3 because of the standing charge and variable rate per unit

Thanks to @parrot for the link showing a 2 stang difference
IMG_7536-2.jpeg
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on June 9, 2019, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 9, 2019, 12:48 pm

The calculator at https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11 gets it almost down to the 'penny'.
I might be missing something, but I detect minuscule changes between electricity bills from 2 years ago, 6 months ago, and the past month......for the same amount of usage (based on the bills from those periods).
Where's the alleged gouging?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

I was under the impression that Electricity prices rose by approx 12% last month .Or was it just my bill ?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 1:36 pm

saint wrote:
June 9, 2019, 1:16 pm
I was under the impression that Electricity prices rose by approx 12% last month .Or was it just my bill ?
They certainly went up in January this year, the effective rise in my bill is 1.7%

Old cost 3,178.87 actual bill 3,212.99

So your 12% is you using more power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

parrot wrote:
June 9, 2019, 12:48 pm
The calculator at https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11 gets it almost down to the 'penny'.
Thanks for that. (2 stang lower than my real bill :shock: )

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”