Criminal record check

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Saminthailand
udonmap.com

Criminal record check

Post by Saminthailand » May 16, 2018, 3:02 pm

Is a CRB check or equivalent good enough to use when applying for Retirement or Non O visa

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Criminal record check

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

As far as I am aware (as there are differences between Thai Embassies & Consulates in different countries) a criminal check is only required for the OA 1 year (multiple entry) Retirement visa. A criminal check is not required for any 'o' visa.

In the case of the OA visa I believe that it needs to be a full criminal check rather than anything else.
In the case of London it is described as..
Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
The here takes you to this web site...
https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

The check you need is a full criminal check, if you have a record be completely honest, there is no time decay on past offences and they will know every crime you have committed. Alternatively just wait until you are here, come on a visitor visa then apply for a retirement visa here where you don’t have to present the certificate or meet the health requirements.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Saminthailand
udonmap.com

Post by Saminthailand » May 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

I already live here but when I go to Laos for visa they say need health and police check plus 800k in Thai account

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2018, 3:31 pm

Sorry Sam, I read that the full criminal check (as outlined above) is also required for the new 5 year O-X visa as well as the O-A, but not for the various 'o' visas.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

You need to meet financial requirements, there’s no getting out of that one but my advice is just to apply in Udon Thani, I didn’t have to show either criminal or health checks, costs 2000 baht, I took a bank certified statement showing the money in my account and I was in and out in under 10 minutes, really simple.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2018, 3:37 pm

Saminthailand wrote:
May 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
I already live here but when I go to Laos for visa they say need health and police check plus 800k in Thai account
If you are not applying for a visa in your country of residence then you can expect all sorts of extra bells & whistles above the usual rules. As far as I am aware Laos is the only Thai neighbouring country that will even consider offering an 'o' visa to a non resident..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

vincemunday wrote:
May 16, 2018, 3:33 pm
You need to meet financial requirements, there’s no getting out of that one but my advice is just to apply in Udon Thani, I didn’t have to show either criminal or health checks, costs 2000 baht, I took a bank certified statement showing the money in my account and I was in and out in under 10 minutes, really simple.
That was not for a visa was it Vince, but an 'extension of stay'??

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

It was for my annual retirement visa Bob

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

And that was just last week so I’m sure there’s no rule changes.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

Oh and by the way Sam, from memory, the criminal check comes from Wales, it takes ages to get and that’s if you’re in the U.K., heavens knows how long it would take if you’re applying from here, trust me, apply in Udon.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2018, 3:55 pm

I'm not trying to be pedantic Vince, but with visa information you need to be accurate.

What you received was not a visa, but a 'permission to stay' based on your original, out of country, non 'o' visa.
You need the (out of country) 'o' visa before you can get the permission to stay.

I am not sure exactly what visa Sam is on (because he has not said), but I assume it is a Tourist Visa (or worse, a visa exemption) as he was in Vientiane & they, apparently, refused him an 'o' .

I was reading yesterday, on Thai Visa, that it is now a fairly simple operation to ask Immigration to change a Tourist Visa to a non 'o' based on retirement as long as you can produce a Thai bank book showing 800,000 balance.
He could then, after 2 months, apply for a 'permission to stay' for a year based on that 800K, as you did.
As you say no criminal record check is required for any of this process..

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 16, 2018, 6:03 pm

Still on topic ,just for the experience i had , 2006 i applied for a Non o multiple entry visa ( in England ) ,they required all the paperwork plus CRC ,it cost me about 60 quid to get this ,there were a couple of offences on it but were 25 years old ,i was going to send it all to london , but just to check i had everything correct , i rang the Thai Consulate in Hull, a very helpful man informed me not to send it to London as there would refuse the Non O due to offences still being on the CRC , but advised to send him all the paperwork without the crim record ,I did this and got the visa /passport back within 3 days ,

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » May 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

Not sure how relevant this is to the OP but I just got a Non O from London Embassy. Posted on Monday had it back Thursday. No CRC required. The only difference to the last one I applied for was I had to show proof of funds so I just downloaded the latest bank statement from t'internet & popped that in the envelope too. Didn't get it stamped or notarised at all.
It cost £50 but they insist on a £10 postal order is also included for recorded delivery return.
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 16, 2018, 10:53 pm

Giggle wrote:
May 16, 2018, 10:02 pm
Hmppf. The number of Brits without criminal records is negligible. Why not own up to your reputation? This is the reason so many Brits are apoplectic about America being the world leader. They just don't measure up. Worse than Mexicans. They flock to Thailand because there's no place else to flee. It's telling.
As usual another of your full of crap posts boarding on racial overtones with your comment about Mexicans.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » May 17, 2018, 12:51 am

Brilliant :D
Who’d have thought this channel & in particular a thread as innocuous as this could take such a turn

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » May 17, 2018, 6:23 am

What used to be known as the CRB is now called BDC (Basic Disclosure Certificate) and if you have a UK residential address you can apply online - takes about 7-10 days. :D

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 17, 2018, 6:41 am

The requirement to apply for a Criminal Record Check doesn't mean everyone has a committed a crime, I'm sure in many cases it comes back clear, what a mindless assumption.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 17, 2018, 11:15 am

vincemunday wrote:
May 17, 2018, 6:41 am
The requirement to apply for a Criminal Record Check doesn't mean everyone has a committed a crime, I'm sure in many cases it comes back clear, what a mindless assumption.
Exactly, I Was going to go back to the U.K this year ( One Last time ) to work on a Cab something I'd done for the past 43 Years ( Without Any blemish on my record ) when I Applied Online to have my Taxi Licence re-instated I Was informed NOT Only did I Need a Medical( Due to my age ) & a CRB ( Which I Knew I'd need ) BUT I'd need a POLICE Check from the RTP & Then I'd have to have it Translated into English to say I'd been a GOOD Boy whilst living Here & Out of the U.K. !!! What a Load of BullSH*T !!

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Stantheman wrote:
May 16, 2018, 10:53 pm
boarding on racial overtones
Surely you mean bordering.

Mexicans aren't a race, buttercup. ;)
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”