Power fluctuations

General Udon Thani topics only!
lee
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by lee » June 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

The power to my home fluctuates constantly through the day and is very noticeable when I have my UPS plugged in because it's constantly switching between AC and battery when the power drops. The fans slow down and speed up and you can hear the air-con unit's fan changing speed constantly.

I'm guessing these fluctuations are due to other homes/businesses on the grid using more power than the lines can handle or there needs to be a transformer closer to the area.

I've recorded a short video to show the UPS clicking in and out and you can hear the air-con in the background. It's like this all day and eventually gets better after 6pm.

I've tried calling the electricity company but I've no idea when they will have a look. Do any of you guys know what I can do on my side to stabilize the electricity source? It's driving me crazy.

parrot
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by parrot » June 12, 2012, 8:11 pm

You mentioned 'calling' the electric company. Many years ago when we had similar situation (power drops down to 165 volts) I made an excel spreadsheet with minute by minute power readings for an entire day. I took it to the electric company stood in front of the offices hoping someone would come along and ask me what I needed (my Thai was especially bad back then). Someone did.....he took me to an engineer who exclaimed "that's below spec". It was another 6 months before the electric company installed a small transformer along the road. Problem solved.
You might want to take a video of your UPS readings to the electric office and try to find a sympathetic engineer.

I'm guessing that someone is operating a welding machine in your neighborhood. If the problem is a recent one, maybe it's construction of a new house (welding of roof).
Another thing you might try is to switch off other circuit breakers in your home to see if that has any effect.....probably not, but at least you can identify that the problem is coming from outside your home.

Good luck.

Allen A Hale
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by Allen A Hale » June 12, 2012, 10:56 pm

Checking the circuit breakers might be a very good idea - starting with the circuit breaker for the A/C and UPS. Years ago in Louisiana I had a similar problem, electric company monitored the feed to the house and everything was fine. I was afarid that it was the aluminum wiring. One night it happened when my Electrical Engineer buddy was over at the house - he figured it out - a circuit breaker was chattering (heating up and almost tripping but not tripping, cooling off, and repeating. Replaced the circuit breaker - problem was solved.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by mortiboy » June 13, 2012, 4:31 am

I also have this problem. I dont think it is of appliances being used at peak times as it goes on through the night too!
I think its a faulty transformer maybe.I live just off Nong sam rong.
When the power goes down. the fan turns to a trickle .All downnthe street, neon lights flash start and stop
Then the computer shuts down.
When restart computer, it goes into all sorts of modes. Takes ages to reset. I lose desktop and have to set it again. also, if use youtube, sound breaks up.
Wife says it will be fixed in" one or two months" .... That was 3 months ago

bluejets
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by bluejets » June 13, 2012, 7:57 am

You already have your answer really when you said ...........
"I'm guessing these fluctuations are due to other homes/businesses on the grid using more power than the lines can handle or there needs to be a transformer closer to the area."

Many countries have a voltage level guarantee that swing will be less than 5% (12 volts at 240 volt)and they also enforce this at the other end so to speak when contractors install equipment. I doubt there is any such arrangement here though.
Sub-stations have automatic tap changers to adjust voltage as demand varies but the local transformer is nearly always a manual tap setting. Cannot set it too high or you start blowing things up under no load conditions.

All you can do is keep complaining to the authority really. That or install your own genset which becomes expensive.

Computer on certain types of UPS and lighting varying is ok but I would be careful if you notice fluctuations when a/c or friges are on. Motors in these do not like voltages under 180 as the "start" windings tend to come back in due to increased run current and they can cook themselves. You will not know it until they stop working as they are sealed units.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by bluejets » June 13, 2012, 8:27 am

Just had another thought, maybe check mains cabling from the pole to your installation. Many seem to use aluminium cable here because it is firstly cheaper, and secondly because copper tends to get knocked off. Aluminium cabling connections here are not prepared with anti-oxidant paste nor are bi-metal connectors used for any copper to aluminium joints so "cooked joints" or "bad connections" start to appear. Actually, no terminator seem to be used, flavour seems to be "twist and tape". Voltage drop effect with a bad joint is greater the bigger the load becomes at your end.

lee
udonmap.com

Power fluctuations

Post by lee » June 13, 2012, 9:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try the suggestions above and let you know how I get on.

Rono
udonmap.com

Re: Power fluctuations

Post by Rono » June 17, 2018, 6:35 am

Anybody else noticing heavy power fluctuations these days, may/June 2018? I mean lights flickering on and off, fans slowing down and accelerating again. The tv, yesterday, switched off all on its own? I am in The Sampraow area, the neighborhood leading up to the new Rajabhat University. I got a "may pen rai' reaction from the neighbors, who also are noticing the same these days. I reported it to the company, but no noticeable changes. I am afraid they did not anticipated the effect on the grid of all the heavy constructions going on in the neighborhood these days, or a bad or loose connection somewhere. I think because of these fluctuations I lost my data partition of the main hard drive and now worse, my back up disk turned up unallocated!!! Anybody notice these fluctuations and if so what area are you in?

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » June 17, 2018, 12:45 pm

Yup, we live off nsr, & get the same problems Lee.

PEA have been out, & fiddled with the electric cables, which appeared to make a slight difference for a day.

They also said a bigger transformer is needed.

And nope, they didn't install one.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 17, 2018, 1:07 pm

Faraday wrote:
June 17, 2018, 12:45 pm
Yup, we live off nsr, & get the same problems Lee.

PEA have been out, & fiddled with the electric cables, which appeared to make a slight difference for a day.

They also said a bigger transformer is needed.

And nope, they didn't install one.

But I bet you didn't offer to pay for it did you :lol:

Street light outside house started "pulsing" years ago (annoying when trying to get to sleep). Contacted elec co and they offered to come and replace the bulb/starter whatever, but my neighbours and I had to pay for it :evil: TIT

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 17, 2018, 4:04 pm

we live in Tambon Nong Bua east of the ring road.. The Tessaban (Tambon office) gives pretty quick service with their bucket truck for burned out street lights...
Dave

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 17, 2018, 6:14 pm

We are on the back road from Udon - Sakon Nakon road to new university and yes many problems lost power around 29 times lately longest 14 hours. We complained hard and they admitted many problems on this line to fix. They have been busy all last week fixing around here and last 2 heavy rains/storms we haven't lost power. Won't last but happy at the moment.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 18, 2018, 8:49 am

Live here, just get used to it and buy a generator for the long power cuts

Rono
udonmap.com

Post by Rono » June 18, 2018, 11:53 am

Okay, PEA came this morning! "Yes there is some fluctuations on the grid in this area, but it should not be as bad as with our place". They checked the connections under and above the meter on the street . And yes above the meter 'man luaam" They fixed it. and till now (from around 8.30 - 1130) no flickering lights and stuttering fans happened. So I think/hope that was the culprit. But, I saw them make the new connection. No so-called "acid free Vaseline or such" was used. Just wrap one line around the other and taped it!
But thanks anyway, now I can try to recover my lost files and partitions!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”