Engine Oil Change

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Engine Oil Change

Post by Brian Davis » July 5, 2018, 7:07 pm

I've had five services on my about 2 1/2 year old Honda car. I think I can grasp the Thai language on the service sheet, compare one service to the next, check the maintenance book and avoid any rip-offs or something unnecessary. But, actually in my favour financially, can someone explain why the number of engine oil units to refill the engine has dropped from 40, now down to 34? I would have thought if the car required x units when brand new, then it would always be x, or am I missing something in my limited understanding of cars/engines? Thanks.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Engine Oil Change

Post by Stantheman » July 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

Brian, Don't know what unit of measurements quoted, but the difference might be due to not changing the oil filter, which does take up some of the oil. I personally check the oil level after all changes when I get home and engine cools. Also I make sure the cap has been replaced tightly and dip stick has not been left out.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

Thanks. I'll have a closer check tomorrow. I've always been billed for a changed oil filter (although I understand some say only necessary to change every other occasion) but, unlike plugs, can't recall the old one being left for me to look at (messy!). Think today the filter looked new, but then a wipe over with a cloth could do that. Yes, I suppose there would be some difference in an absolutely full top up and say a 90% adequate one.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » July 5, 2018, 9:40 pm

What sort of price you paying Brian?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 5, 2018, 10:18 pm

Brian, you might see if owners manual says filter type(number) then look up on internet and compare size to one installed, they might have put a slightly smaller one on that would fit

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » July 6, 2018, 7:36 am

Always fit new filter when changing oil , false economy not to.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 6, 2018, 9:12 am

Before I have an oil change I always put an identifying mark, usually just a scratch, on the oil filter. Then I check it before leaving the shop. Mechanics are notorious for wiping the old filter clean and telling you that they changed it.

I do the same thing when I take my car in for tire rotation. I caught Honda red-handed lying to me about having rotated my tires, then I showed the mechanic and the supervisor my marks on the rims and they lost their lying faces big time. They drove the car back into the shop and rotated the tires without another word being spoken.
Last edited by semperfiguy on July 6, 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 6, 2018, 9:46 am

Thanks for your feedback on what is, after all, a minor matter.
I did check the oil first thing this am and it's fully topped up. According to the manual, there's a 0.2 litre difference in changing/not changing the filter.(3.6/3.4 total capacity). That doesn't seem to match up exactly with the latest maintenance sheet either, or mr first service sheet when, I think, it's 4 litres showing. I notice the maintenance manual indicates to change the filter every SECOND service, yet my experience at Honda with this car and my previous CRV was that it was changed EVERY occasion (or, at least, I paid for a change!).I suspect the filter wasn't changed this occasion. Perhaps it's a minor con, a small profit for Honda rather than an individual, even a mis-match between what the computer bills for oil change and the maintenance manual, which the technician follows? Perhaps it's time I marked items(as many do), so I could subsequently check whether a change happened or not?
Stan - I couldn't see the filter detail sufficiently, although it looks the same size it always has been. Mini - yes, I understand your argument. Of course, I like to think Honda know what they're doing :lol:, want the cars to show up well and that maintenance manuals are to be relied upon. A little bit the same as spark plugs change. I've held off changing because the book says at 60,000 kms (ie next service), which seems a long time to me and I'm aware there's online advice saying do earlier! :?
All this said, I'm made a few contacts at Honda and we get on well. As you're aware, it's a courtesy that your car is normally cleaned for you. As mine was good (cleaned previous day) I asked if they'd actually clean the engine for me in lieu. They did - and it came back sparkling.
Oh, I see Semperfiguy has posted in the interim. Hmmmmm 8-[

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

years ago when Honda said that they didn't have synthetic oil, I had my all oil changes done at local big shop, Love them. Even when they look real busy, they take me right away, and I can watch the whole operation.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 8, 2018, 5:48 am

Oil comes in packages of 4 and 5 litres ( larger also but these seem to be the "economical package size" so perhaps that explains the difference.
Previous mob either forgot to give you the leftovers or thought maybe not worth the effort.😊

Return to “Travel & Transport”