I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 7, 2018, 6:13 pm

As a few of you know I have lived in the Udon province since 2001. In days gone by it was a real pleasure to go into Udon to stay overnight, have a beer (whilst the missus is out shopping) and decent meal. NOT so now! Steve's gone - Mojo's gone - Aussie & Koala Bar (Justin) gone - Richmond Steak house gone (was near the railway station 15 years ago) etc. etc.
IMHO - Places like Fuzzy Kens are so so, last time in there I had to near on beg for another beer = staff??

I usually stay at the Pannari Hotel and at one time the Irish Clock was my favored eating place but after a number of new owners/managers it's gone down hill BADLY!!

QUESTION:-
Going for a couple of nights this week.

Can anyone suggest places to eat within the CBD who cater for both Farang and Thai? (all I want is a thick 'rare' tender rump steak (NOT effin Thai French!)

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Post by vincemunday » July 7, 2018, 6:53 pm

To be honest we nearly always go to Steve’s T Bar, he used to own the Irish Clock and I’d say in our experience it’s the best place to get both Western and Thai, problem is it’s a short taxi ride out of town but IMO it’s worth it. What I would say is stay well away from Santa Fe and Sizzler in the Plaza, I’ve never had a good steak in either but perhaps you’ll strike lucky?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Steve's T-Bar is definitely a good place for western and Thai food. I can't speak for his steaks, but I'd guess they're like most all his food......good tasting and reasonably priced.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » July 7, 2018, 7:59 pm

We had a cracking steak dinner at Papafarangs. It’s a bit out of town but we’d certainly eat them again.
The drawback is I don’t think he caters for Thai food although I believe he’s happy for it to be brought in. Mrs N loved the steak so it doesn’t matter to us
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Hunter58
udonmap.com

Post by Hunter58 » July 7, 2018, 8:39 pm

By far the best place for western food near the Pannerai is the Brick House , just across the road from the hotel.
I was not impressed with my steak there but nice burgers and other Western options. I see others have recommended the steaks (Oz beef I seem to recall).

Otherwise Chefs Table do an excellent Thai steak. Not the usual chew fest. Easy walk from hotel and excellent restaurant.

The Tap Cape Grimm steak is excellent , just long way from hotel.

Today Tops charging THB 2,450 for 1kg Oz ribeye.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 12, 2018, 7:52 am

On recommendation from a local bar manager we tried the Brick House. Very happy with it - I'd say 7/10 - An excellent rare Rib Eye Steak and Mixed Salad, included a very healthy portion of black olives :). Lost a few points over the "mashed potato" = how do you like it? one lump or two!
Although they had, what looked to be, a reasonable Thai menu TW settled on steak as well. Liked it so much she insisted we go back there on night two! This time I tried the German Sausage selection. 3 out of the 4 were very good, don't know what it was but the 4th didn't do anything for my taste buds.

Bin for night #1 was near 1400 Baht. That included a large class of Draft beer for TW = 240 Baht.
Bin for night #2 about 1150 Baht.

BTW:
The Irish Clock was deserted both nights. In fact we walked past it at about 09:00 PM Tues night and it appeared to be closed?

Thank you all for your input.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”