Brexit and Leadership.

General Udon Thani topics only!
Sport
udonmap.com

Re: Brexit and Leadership.

Post by Sport » July 20, 2018, 12:11 pm

vincemunday wrote:
July 20, 2018, 11:57 am
Both Macron and Merkel.................................. certainly won't have any say in what jobs remain or leave the UK, that decision will be made by the companies themselves.
Correct.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 20, 2018, 3:15 pm

The leadership will come from the big companies in the autumn when they start downsizing UK operations. The planning is now underway in earnest. Some banks have already done this, Nomura started this last year, making my daughter redundant as a result. Lots more to come.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 20, 2018, 4:26 pm

Rick, lots of financial institutions are scaling down anyway, they are becoming risk averse and shying away from what is essentially gambling with their customers money, I very much doubt a bank would move much of its operation away from London which is still the number one financial centre of the world because of Brexit. Scandals like my old boss misreporting to the US Fed by a billion dollars doesn’t help the industry either, it puts financials in a bad light. By the by, the operational move by NMU to Frankfurt to service the DTB was tiny, it hardly made any difference to the London office at all but I’m sorry it affected your daughter, it’s not nice being made redundant.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 22, 2018, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. So far any downsizing has been cautious, with them hoping for a good deal. With the prospects of any real deal rapidly diminishing, I think in the Autumn the banks will bite the bullet and start building up their European subsidiaries, as a precaution.

AS you know I was a remainer but i think a no deal is about 50/50. There does still seem to be a blind spot among the hard brexiteers as to what could go wrong - especially as no preparations for it seem to have been done. All i know is it will not be good for me in my remaining lifetime, or probably my children. Maybe my grandchildren (if any) will benefit.

I'm sure this government's handling of Brexit will go down in history as the most incompetent in the last 100 years - it will also wreck the conservative party.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 23, 2018, 7:48 am

Neville Chamberlain will be relieved.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamarlane
udonmap.com

Post by tamarlane » July 24, 2018, 12:17 am

there was quite some turmoil about brexit in the last few weeks. Carl Bildt,a former PM of Sweden and a highly regarded diplomat , tweeted this : ' a country who showed the world so much leadership for so many decades, cant even manage its own country anymore. ' ... How sad it is to see a country disappearing like that from the world stage!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 24, 2018, 9:19 am

Latest YouGov poll shows that only 16% support May's Brexit plan. Almost 1/3 of those polled are prepared to back a new conservative-leaning party that would be committed to what was voted upon in the Brexit referendum.

It is believed that May's "soft" Brexit would keep the UK tied to the EU's goods rules, severely limit the nation’s ability to control trade policy, and continue to allow migration.

34% support Boris Johnson for prime minister. 24% would support and anti-immigrant, anti-Islam party.

Other recent polls show the Tory party falling behind Labour in voter support since Mrs May announced her “soft” Brexit plans, with UKIP picking up support.

Meanwhile, a survey from last week showed more of the British public view Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson as a “leader” of people who back Brexit than they do Theresa May.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Manufacturers will benefit from Brexit because a “more competitive pound” can boost exports, Jeremy Corbyn has said as he pledges to bring jobs back to the UK after leaving the European Union.

Unveiling a protectionist scheme to bring jobs back from abroad and stimulate the manufacturing industry, Mr Corbyn said Labour would ensure that exporters were able to “take proper advantage” of Brexit.

Launching the plan in Birmingham on Tuesday morning, the Labour leader promised to abolish the public sector outsourcing “racket” and provide protections for British exporters to prevent them losing out to foreign firms who are able to exploit “cheap labour” to drive down prices.

Interesting comments from jezzer just as TM announces she’s taking charge of negotiations,to be honest he sounds a bit like Donald Trump,only difference being one wants to drain a swamp whilst the other would like to create a bigger one.Wonder how this will play out with the British Public?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 25, 2018, 4:36 pm

Outsourcing is a swamp - a lot of it has been disastrous, only benefits those companies involved - although half of them have managed to bankrupt themselves as well. The public pays for it all as usual.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 26, 2018, 7:42 pm

On something related - if we do hardish Brexit we need to tout for trade - unfortunately the government has become so obsessed with 'the deal' that they are neglecting the potential markets. This week, both Xi Jinping and Modi turned up in Rwanda on the SAME day - touting for business. Modi went on to Uganda, and also announced 14 new Ambassador's for African countries. They know where the best prospects for increased trade are. Also. Macron has been to Africa 6 times since elected. He has his eye on the ball too .....

And the UK? Have ANY senior ministers, let alone the Prime minister, visited this year? Africa has been neglected for years, and continues to be so. My son on a 3 month trip to Ghana, only saw one product he remembers as British - digestive biscuits. But a number of foods from Italy, Holland, and both drinks and biscuits from Thailand. 50 years ago it would have been very different.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 26, 2018, 8:20 pm

It's only the Brits who pine longingly for the bland British fare the rest of the world considers hardtack gruel.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » July 27, 2018, 8:32 am

Giggle wrote:
July 26, 2018, 8:20 pm
It's only the Brits who pine longingly for the bland British fare the rest of the world considers hardtack gruel.
Whats so wonderful about your food ?
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.3 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

Giggle wrote:
July 26, 2018, 8:20 pm
Amazing coincidence,just thinking the other day whatever happened to Mel Gibson,hows life in Udon treating you? Also just like to say big fan of some of your early work :D

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 28, 2018, 8:00 am

With the clock ticking and no further forward, I have a feeling the Canada model is looking the most likely outcome with or without inclusion of financial services otherwise I’m fearful its Hotel California and we won’t be going anywhere.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 31, 2018, 8:43 pm

https://youtu.be/ok8u4HchveU

Jim Winship, Director of the British sandwich association, argued that a no deal Brexit would place serious restrictions on the type of fresh sandwiches on offer in the UK.

That’s it I want a second referendum, I can’t do without my favorite British sandwiches especially the Famous ALT ,the Advocado Lettuce and Tomato :-"

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2018, 6:55 am

It would seem the dire predictions of job losses of hundreds of thousands that were mooted in project fear #1 were grossly exaggerated (shock!) and the estimated number has been lowered to 5000, perhaps, maybe, might be, could be......

The City will continue to be the centre of world finance for many decades to come, those 5000 job losses (if they happen at all) will most likely be absorbed by new companies or new trading floors, just one successful product can result in thousands of jobs created, it happens all the time.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2018, 7:18 am

Another climb down, in project fear #1 we were warned that each household would be £4,300 worse off after Brexit, after a rethink that was calculated to maybe, could be, might be £1000 and now after a reworking of the numbers it will only be £500 (perhaps)... and they wonder why no one takes them or their dire predictions seriously.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Don't live there so don't much care really . but the UK leadership is rather poor at best. Donald trump might be a complete blimp but at least he just makes decisions and goes for it ..right or wrong. best I see the uk gov ...dithering ...just get on with it woman (may)
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 2, 2018, 8:04 am

The Telegraph is reporting that May will be meeting with Macron in the hopes that he will back her soft Brexit plan.

Rumors are that the French will try to take advantage of UK's exit and make a quick buck.

According to The Telegraph, the meeting will be on Friday. May is expected to ask Macron to drop opposition to extensive security cooperation between the UK and European Union (EU) after Brexit and a comprehensive trade deal on financial services for the City of London.

France has already stated that they want the UK removed from the space satellite program. The French are hoping that those jobs leave the UK and relocate in France.

Rumors are also swirling that the UK could walk away from the union without a trade deal at all, which may result in a No Deal Brexit (whatever that means).
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

A no deal Brexit is what the vast majority of us voted for, a clean break from the EU, the taking up of WTO rules, an end to free movement and taking back our fishing rights that we have granted to the EU thereby killing our own fisheries, as Dean says, Mrs May is dithering, capitulating and generally kow towing to all and sundry in an effort to strike "the best deal", it will almost definitely cost the conservatives the next election and worse still it's even allowing the no.1 buffoon Boris back in the fray.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”