best way for short extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
gprit
udonmap.com

best way for short extension

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 11:35 am

I arrived back in Thailand on a 29 day visa exempt arrival. This expires 11 August.

I will stay in Thailand until 18 September. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way of extending my stay?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: best way for short extension

Post by dunroaming » July 31, 2018, 12:13 pm

Ask at Udon immigration have found them to be helpful on many occasions but expect quick trip to Nong Khai cheapest and easiest option, not sure if it's only 2 weeks Udon can extend so over the bridge 35 dollars gives another 30 days then extend at Udon for 1- 2 weeks just under 2000 baht

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 2:27 pm

I will ask at UT Immigration when I get back there.
Unfortunately going over the Friendship Bridge is only valid for 15 days (overland) and cannot keep going over there and back as I have found out in the past. SO one trip over the bridge and 1900 baht for1- 2 week extension still leaves me short .....

Natas

Post by Natas » July 31, 2018, 3:47 pm

Depending what country you are from you get a month coming back over the bridge.
There is a big sign on the Thai side coming back saying you can do this 2 times. Basically after that they will or can deny you entry.
I know one incident of this happening to an Aussi guy. But he did well over 4 Visa runs (month to month). So now he is in Laos for a bit.
You can also get one month Visa extensions here in Udon. Another friend comes over in 2 month stints to see his kid. He does one Visa Run and then an Immigration visit. He did this cycle for 3 months once.
Another guy I know was getting 2 month Visas in Vientiene.
Another friend got a 90 day Visa for his american wife as he is a Thai National (still cannot believe that one but it is true).
Maybe ask them at the Immigration office here. Have your plane ticket. You never really know.
http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

Laos Thai Embassy http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/consular/visa.php

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 5:57 pm

Thanks - it's a pain!! I actually had a one year visa that expires in November but had to go back to UK for an emergency situation. When I left BKK I was told at the airport that I needed to have a re-entry permit (1200 baht) but I had only taken enough cash for immediate airport drinks etc. and they didn't take card, and no ATM's....
I had actually checked before I left with Immigration in UT and was told nothing about re-entry payment. I was just told report in 90 days when you come back.
Anyway it sounds as if there's a reasonable way forward.....iver the bridge and then one month extension at immigration.
thanks all.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 31, 2018, 7:55 pm

You are allowed to extend your visa exemption for up to 30 days at Udon Immigration.

You can then do a border run to the Friendship bridge & get another 15 days to get you past the 18th. September...

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » July 31, 2018, 8:12 pm

gprit wrote:
July 31, 2018, 5:57 pm
Thanks - it's a pain!! I actually had a one year visa that expires in November but had to go back to UK for an emergency situation. When I left BKK I was told at the airport that I needed to have a re-entry permit (1200 baht) but I had only taken enough cash for immediate airport drinks etc. and they didn't take card, and no ATM's....
I had actually checked before I left with Immigration in UT and was told nothing about re-entry payment. I was just told report in 90 days when you come back.
Anyway it sounds as if there's a reasonable way forward.....iver the bridge and then one month extension at immigration.
thanks all.
For you (I checked you background) extension based on your Thai wife is the best and easiest and cheapest. You get 60 days extension, when visiting her. Can be applied at Udon Immigration, 1900 thb. You can get only one extension per visit.

With application form and you passport, these documents are needed:
3. Copy of household registration certificate (tabian baan) 4. Copy of national ID card of the person having Thai nationality 5. Copy of a marriage certificate or copy of a birth certificate

Based on ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 138/2557 section 2.24. I have it front of me and no link.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai

Ps. When asking an advice, please give as much as possible information, because it is really case by case. If we, who answer, do not know enough, you can not get correct answers.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 8:32 pm

Ah, right - thanks for that.....seems easier!

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 8:34 pm

just another thought - we have been renting in Udon - is a copy of the rent agreement sufficient?

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » July 31, 2018, 8:45 pm

gprit wrote:
July 31, 2018, 8:34 pm
just another thought - we have been renting in Udon - is a copy of the rent agreement sufficient?
Never mind rent agreement. Your wife is included in tabian baan somewhere. They need a copy of that. Rent agreement can be an extra, but not required. You get same extension when staying at hotel.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » July 31, 2018, 9:15 pm

ah thanks - yes she has copy of her family Blue book!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 1, 2018, 1:45 pm

HY guys ,marriage Extension today , 3rd desk in , from start to finish on paperwork 1hour 20 minutes ,full on scrutiny , some 3rd degree questions , loads more paperwork , they uploaded onto the computer all the marriage cert details,then took my picture ( as usual) but then printed off a new TM7 form x2, with my photo printed onto it,then attached my 2 photo's that i supplied next to their printed on the form photo's . The usual forms advice of overstay & reporting of any criminal proceedings held against you .
2 more forms of which i signed one and the Wife signed the other , i didn't catch what for , lost in translation ,
2000,00 bht was requested ,(not 1900,00) When i got the passport back ,new 90 days report paper , under consideration stamp with date to collect ,ALSO 2 further pieces relating to notification of change of address ( from the UK, i've been here permanently 12 years )was told never to take these out of my passport , ( DON'T PANIC ) the desk number 2 dealt with 3 marriage extensions & 2 Retirement Extensions ,in the same time it took to do mine ,, so it would seem they are just getting upto date on all the info AND now loading everything onto the computer ,ULTERIOR MOTIVES ,?? who knows ,
Attachments
report change of address immigration.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 1, 2018, 2:11 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
August 1, 2018, 1:45 pm
HY guys ,marriage Extension today , 3rd desk in , from start to finish on paperwork 1hour 20 minutes ,full on scrutiny , some 3rd degree questions , loads more paperwork , they uploaded onto the computer all the marriage cert details,then took my picture ( as usual) but then printed off a new TM7 form x2, with my photo printed onto it,then attached my 2 photo's that i supplied next to their printed on the form photo's . The usual forms advice of overstay & reporting of any criminal proceedings held against you .
2 more forms of which i signed one and the Wife signed the other , i didn't catch what for , lost in translation ,
2000,00 bht was requested ,(not 1900,00) When i got the passport back ,new 90 days report paper , under consideration stamp with date to collect ,ALSO 2 further pieces relating to notification of change of address ( from the UK, i've been here permanently 12 years )was told never to take these out of my passport , ( DON'T PANIC ) the desk number 2 dealt with 3 marriage extensions & 2 Retirement Extensions ,in the same time it took to do mine ,, so it would seem they are just getting upto date on all the info AND now loading everything onto the computer ,ULTERIOR MOTIVES ,?? who knows ,
Similar to my experience, though I unstapled them from my passport and put them in the back cover, so when I went in to do the 1st 90 day report they were having kittens about no reports until I showed them where they were and did not let them staple the 90 day receipt in either.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 7, 2018, 12:17 pm

okay...back to original question - went to Immigration today with documents for 60 day extension. When I explained they said 'just need re-entry permit'. They stamped this in passport, no problem. 1,000 baht!!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 12:53 pm

gprit wrote:
August 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
okay...back to original question - went to Immigration today with documents for 60 day extension. When I explained they said 'just need re-entry permit'. They stamped this in passport, no problem. 1,000 baht!!!
That sounds rather strange to say the least and it seem as if there is some information missing. This could possibly mean that Udon immigration has made a mistake.

If they have made a mistake it is your responsibility (not theirs) to correct it.

1) do you currently have a Non-O multi entry visa or a Non-OA visa which expires in November?
2) or before you left had your visa expired or been used so last November you got an extension of stay valid until November?
3) when you came back after your visit to the UK what admitted until date was on your permission to stay stamp that you got on arrival? And what is the visa class on that stamp

My guess is that the stamp you got on arrive was on the 13th of July 2018 that the class of visa was n 30 that the admitted until date is 11th Aug 2018

If all of that is correct then from Sunday you will be overstaying and in the present conditions you could be facing a 1 year ban from Thailand if you are unlucky enough to have your passport checked after Sunday. If your passport is not checked then you will have a 38 day overstay so have to pay 19,000 Baht at the airport on September the 18. Some local countries will not let you fly if you are on a visa overstay.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 7, 2018, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

1) do you currently have a Non-O multi entry visa or a Non-OA visa which expires in November?
>>>> Think Non-OA
2) or before you left had your visa expired or been used so last November you got an extension of stay valid until November?
>>>> NOT expired or used.
3) when you came back after your visit to the UK what admitted until date was on your permission to stay stamp that you got on arrival? And what is the visa class on that stamp
My guess is that the stamp you got on arrive was on the 13th of July 2018 that the class of visa was 30 days arrival that the admitted until date is 11th Aug 2018
>>>>> Correct

All seems above board. 90-day man, Head Man and assistant all agreed what was required today. IF they are wrong they are not going to admit it without some proof(!)

Scan of Original Visa and Re-entry permit today attached.
Attachments
PassportVisas.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 2:56 pm

gprit wrote:
August 7, 2018, 1:55 pm
Thanks for the reply.

>>>> Think Non-OA
>>>> NOT expired or used.
My guess is that the stamp you got on arrive was on the 13th of July 2018 that the class of visa was 30 days arrival that the admitted until date is 11th Aug 2018
>>>>> Correct

All seems above board. 90-day man, Head Man and assistant all agreed what was required today. IF they are wrong they are not going to admit it without some proof(!)

Sorry you did not have a visa, that is an extension of stay not a visa. And as you left and returned to thailand after the 27th of December 2017 without a reentry permit it is now void.
>>>>> Correct
A scan of that stamp will provide the last proof required. And that is what you need to show to immigration and if they say that somehow you have permission to stay after Saturday you really have to get them to explain.

Immigration at the airport on the 13th of July gave you the correct 30 day (13 July to 11 Aug is 30 days) visa exempt entry

Immigration In Udon missed that stamp they gave you a reentry permit that is invalid because the extension lapsed when you didn't get a reentry permit before leaving and from Sunday you will be on overstay you could be stopped before you leave and if stopped you will be banned for 1 year and if not stopped you will have a big overstay fine to pay.

A visa is almost always a sticker and is almost always issued outside Thailand.
An extension of stay (second block of that 2nd line) is only issued in Thailand.
3rd block Notice
TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT, RE-ENTRY PERMIT MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVING THAILAND

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » August 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

gprit wrote:

OK, you can go out and then back with that re-entry, but YOU NEED TO GO OUT FROM COUNTRY. That is the meaning of the re-entry, you can come back and continue with that visa.

Now you are stamped in using exemption and you have to leave country on 11th. My proposal 60 days extension does not require trip out from Thailand.

Try to find last square Immigration stamp from your passport and check the data from it. It says "Until" and means that you have to leave country latest on that day. When you come back, they will stamp you in using NON-O visa re-entry.

Or did they give new stamp with new "Until" date? Did you explain clearly that you are in the country using 30 day exemption? For me is sounds that they believed you are going out now, not in July. Usually going out with no multientry visa or re-entry permit makes visa expire. So you have a re-entry for visa, which is not anymore valid.

Check what is the latest "Until" data in your passport.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 3:09 pm

eagle wrote:
August 7, 2018, 3:01 pm
gprit wrote:

OK, you can go out and then back with that re-entry, but YOU NEED TO GO OUT FROM COUNTRY. That is the meaning of the re-entry, you can come back and continue with that visa.

Now you are stamped in using exemption and you have to leave country on 11th. My proposal 60 days extension does not require trip out from Thailand.

Try to find last square Immigration stamp from your passport and check the data from it. It says "Until" and means that you have to leave country latest on that day. When you come back, they will stamp you in using NON-O visa re-entry.

Or did they give new stamp with new "Until" date? Did you explain clearly that you are in the country using 30 day exemption? For me is sounds that they believed you are going out now, not in July. Usually going out with no multientry visa or re-entry permit makes visa expire. So you have a re-entry for visa, which is not anymore valid.

Check what is the latest "Until" data in your passport.
Mostly correct apart from the fact that gprit did not have a visa he had an extension of stay they are not the same and have different rules
IMG_4580.JPG
Extension of stay
Attachments
IMG_4582.JPG
Visa

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » August 7, 2018, 3:51 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
August 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
Mostly correct apart from the fact that gprit did not have a visa he had an extension of stay they are not the same and have different rules
Both has the same rule that without re-entry those expire -excluding multientry visa. In this topic most important is that something, never mind the name, because it does not matter now, has expired, because of no re-entry.

What I asked to do is to check if Immigration changed that "Until" date. Re-entry stamp itself and only is not enough.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”