best way for short extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: best way for short extension

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

eagle wrote:
August 7, 2018, 3:51 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
August 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
Mostly correct apart from the fact that gprit did not have a visa he had an extension of stay they are not the same and have different rules
Both has the same rule that without re-entry those expire -excluding multientry visa. In this topic most important is that something, never mind the name, because it does not matter now, has expired, because of no re-entry.

What I asked to do is to check if Immigration changed that "Until" date. Re-entry stamp itself and only is not enough.
At the moment we are waiting on a picture of the 13th July entry stamp that voided the extension of stay posted.

Unless it has been changed (and I never heard of that happening where the dates are correctly entered) gprit needs to get a 60 day extension

No point in bothering to do anything about the re-entry permit.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

Entry stamp 13 July attached (the crossing out and date under the box was done at airport on arrival (not local office).

...and yes...all I have read here and elsewhere also leads me to believe they have made a mistake. Not sure how - they saw the entry stamp and scrutinised my departure card that also had the entry stamp on it.

Am quite happy to do 60 day extension and will go back up there tomorrow to enter discussion!
Attachments
Thai Entry stamp.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 6:11 pm

gprit wrote:
August 7, 2018, 4:41 pm
Entry stamp 13 July attached (the crossing out and date under the box was done at airport on arrival (not local office).

...and yes...all I have read here and elsewhere also leads me to believe they have made a mistake. Not sure how - they saw the entry stamp and scrutinised my departure card that also had the entry stamp on it.

Am quite happy to do 60 day extension and will go back up there tomorrow to enter discussion!
OK that shows that when you went in for your 60 extension that is exactly what you should have been given. It also shows that the re-entry permit that they sold you has no value. It also demonstrates that possibly the airport officer did not void your extension of stay as he should (I have no idea if that was his responsibility). He certainly did stamp the correct visa exempt entry. It's not clear why the correct date was erased and re-stamped. FWIW it is 30 days not 29.

You can try to get them to refund the wasted 1,000 Baht, though personally I think that may make your life difficult as you will be showing up the mistake that has been made so a bit of loss of face to say the least

There is also the red stamp at the bottom of your extension of stay which I do not have on mine and I have no idea of its exact meaning. Do you know when it was put there?

Anyway unfortunately you will need to start the extension of stay procedure again with a Non-O visa from an embassy or consulate.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

There is also the red stamp at the bottom of your extension of stay which I do not have on mine and I have no idea of its exact meaning. Do you know when it was put there?
Not sure when the red at the bottom was put there....
Anyway unfortunately you will need to start the extension of stay procedure again with a Non-O visa from an embassy or consulate.
?? I thought I just needed (as previous post):
application form and you passport, these documents are needed:
1) Copy of household registration certificate (tabian baan) 2). Copy of national ID card of the person having Thai nationality 3) Copy of a marriage certificate or copy of a birth certificate

60-day extension is sufficient as we will leave again 18 September....so why need to start ext of stay agaian with Non -O visa from embassy?.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

I think that Udon Immigration have misunderstood your situation.

Sadly that will leave you holding the problem when it all goes wrong.

As far as I can understand your situation your permission to stay in Thailand finishes on 11th. August.

You need to take steps before that date to ensure you can stay longer - until, I gather, 11th. September.

Others have advised that you can extend your permission to stay for 60 days by proving (via the documents quoted) that you are married.
In my opinion it is worth trying to do that again.
Show Udon Immigration your last, 30 day, permission to stay in Thailand. Ask for a 60 day extension. Do NOT confuse them with past tales of what you have done, concentrate on your last entry & what you need to do only!!

If they sat No, then skip on a trip to Laos, get 15 days on return & then extend it for another 30 days before the 15 days are up at Udon...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 8:53 pm

gprit wrote:
August 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

60-day extension is sufficient as we will leave again 18 September....so why need to start ext of stay agaian with Non -O visa from embassy?.
Well if you don't mind the process of coming in to Thailand on visa exempt, and tourist visas then no problem.

However since you had a 1 year extension of stay for marriage I thought you would want another one.

If you do then you will need to start that procedure with a Non-O visa from a consulate or embassy. In the same way as you did before, at some time in the future.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on August 8, 2018, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 8:56 pm

BobHelm wrote:
August 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

If they sat No, then skip on a trip to Laos, get 15 days on return & then extend it for another 30 days before the 15 days are up at Udon...
You do not get 15 days visa exempt on the land borders it is 30 days but only twice in any calendar year.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 7, 2018, 9:11 pm

You get 15 days or 30 days depends entirely on the country of passport.
However, as usual, sometimewoodworker your reply is technically correct but as useful as a chocolate teapot... :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

BobHelm wrote:
August 7, 2018, 9:11 pm
You get 15 days or 30 days depends entirely on the country of passport.
However, as usual, sometimewoodworker your reply is technically correct but as useful as a chocolate teapot... :D
gprit has a British passport so would get 30 days.

All 55 countries that are eligible for visa exempt entry get 30 days at both land borders and airports.

So where is the "technical correctness " in that?

Visa on arrival is 15 days and costs 2,000 Baht

Citizens of Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 Days visa exempt.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 7, 2018, 9:50 pm

Yes, as I have previously said ometimewoodworker you are (as always) technically correct. :D

However I always struggle to comprehend how your 'technically correct' postings ever actually help the OP in resolving their issues...

But I am sure that you are happy at night Knowing that you have given a 'technically correct' but totally unhelpful, answer.. :D

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 8, 2018, 8:38 am

Have to come to the defence of sometimewoodworker (if he needs one). I understand what he says completely and thank him for his awareness and assistance here. Posts are very clear to me.
When I come to Thailand in the future it would be for 60 days maximum, so won't need long term visa - 60 day extension is fine. Will update what happens after Immigration visit today.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 8, 2018, 10:44 am

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » August 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Well I eventually have my 60-day extension! Cost 1,900 (although they said 2,000 at first)

On arrival they insisted there was no problem and yesterday's stamp was valid.....took explanation THREE times and going through each stamp with them before they relented. Produced documents as per previous post PLUS they insisted on seeing the Rent agreement, together with copy of owner's blue book and copy owner's ID card (which fortunately I had as they were needed for one year extension).

Lost 1,000 re yesterday as they would not relent and admit their mistake. Will write formal letter of complaint..probably won't get me anywhere but at least will make me feel better.....
thanks again.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”