very ill young boy

General Udon Thani topics only!
oldtimeudon
udonmap.com

very ill young boy

Post by oldtimeudon » February 1, 2018, 9:32 am

Hello folks,
I have been in Thailand for about 16 years but I still cannot work out the way Thais think ? ok I understand their ways
are different but some of their actions do not make much sense to me.
my wife has been getting Phone calls morning/noon/and night from her family about a cousin aged about 12 years old
who has a very serious illness and has recently been admitted to hospital and put In an ICU unit.
they live in Bangkok and I have met them once or twice in 16 years and things do not look good for the young boy
so the other day my wife gets a call from the Grandfather of the boy and after she comes and asks me if I wanted
to buy some land ? she explained the deal the grandfather had offered, there was half a Rai of land in their village
she said ''garden'' and I could have this ''garden'' for 250.000 baht...
firstly this was supposed to go towards the boys medical costs...but I always assumed the hospital was free
as far as I can figure land in a village more than an hour from Udon is not 500.000 baht a Rai...
so granddad is basically asking me for a donation which after 90% of the loans that the family have had are still owed
I feel like telling the wife to instead of asking me why can't the family chip in my outstanding loans and help the boy
in the UK my niece had a child with serious health issues and every one helped out in any way possible and in the end
got things done but every member of my wife's family (bar her) cannot wait to look at me to throw money at them whenever they have a problem...

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Re: very ill young boy

Post by jai yen yen » February 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

oldtimeudon wrote:
February 1, 2018, 9:32 am
Hello folks,
I have been in Thailand for about 16 years but I still cannot work out the way Thais think ? ok I understand their ways
my wife has been getting Phone calls morning/noon/and night from her family about a cousin aged about 12 years old
who has a very serious illness and has recently been admitted to hospital and put In an ICU unit.
they live in Bangkok and I have met them once or twice in 16 years and things do not look good for the young boy
so the other day my wife gets a call from the Grandfather of the boy and after she comes and asks me if I wanted
to buy some land ? she explained the deal the grandfather had offered, there was half a Rai of land in their village
firstly this was supposed to go towards the boys medical costs...but I always assumed the hospital was free
as far as I can figure land in a village more than an hour from Udon is not 500.000 baht a Rai...
so granddad is basically asking me for a donation which after 90% of the loans that the family have had are still owed
I feel like telling the wife to instead of asking me why can't the family chip in my outstanding loans and help the boy
in the UK my niece had a child with serious health issues and every one helped out in any way possible and in the end
got things done but every member of my wife's family (bar her) cannot wait to look at me to throw money at them whenever they have a problem...
Just like drugs, Just say no.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 1, 2018, 3:03 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
February 1, 2018, 12:36 pm
oldtimeudon wrote:
Hello folks,
Just like drugs, Just say no.
Yep Agreed110%.......They're Just after you're MONEY.... :shock: :shock:

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » February 1, 2018, 3:35 pm

All Farangs are muti millionares to the Thais, and the old quip when you say you are short of money is ''Go to the ATM''

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 1, 2018, 4:11 pm

Tell them you ain't got no money because you've lent it all out.they know your a easy touch.i wouldn't lend a thai sweet F.A as for land,well that ain't even going to be yours.my wife wouldn't even dream of asking me as she knows a punch in the face hurts.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 1, 2018, 6:05 pm

Just wanted to say, not all hospitals are 'Free' in Thailand, that is a big misconceptions. What is almost free is the basic health care, not something that is as involved as being in ICU, especially if it is a high quality private hospital.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 1, 2018, 7:30 pm

Stantheman wrote:
February 1, 2018, 6:05 pm
Just wanted to say, not all hospitals are 'Free' in Thailand, that is a big misconceptions. What is almost free is the basic health care, not something that is as involved as being in ICU, especially if it is a high quality private hospital.
Certainly not. Wifes nephew (pissed up) crashes
mobike. Hospital bill 20K ( In Thai standard hospital) + If Falang no pay he go Monkey House cause no licence, no insurance blah de blah. Thai medical care is great for older people but not for young.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 1, 2018, 7:36 pm

How does the farang figure into this equation? Tell them you don't condone lawlessness and the little ---- should go to jail.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 1, 2018, 7:48 pm

The B30 free healthcare card only applies if you are in your hometown hospital. Brother in law was working in Kabinburi and when he had to visit the hospital there he had to pay for treatment as card only good for Udon Hospital.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

oldtimeudon wrote:
Hello folks,
OTU, Without seeming to be insensitive or unsympathetic, I would try and think of reasons why any wealth you have is currently not accessible. E.g. tied up in your home country, perhaps in property or the stock market. Or if you have funds in Thailand, they are earmarked/needed for some imminent purpose.

If one is retired or not working, I try and keep in mind that my savings (accumulated over MY working lifetime) have to last me the rest of my lifetime, and cover things like medical costs or medical care in old age, and cover me for eventualities like my relationship breaking down and having to effectively start again. Would the broader "family" support YOU then?

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 1, 2018, 8:14 pm

Be clever and quick about it.

Hop on a bus or plane and go visit the boy without delay.

That will tear apart any of the lies if any are being told.

Something that can be entirely dealt with in a day, AM flight out, afternoon flight back in.

If you see the story gets wildly adjusted or revised so be it.

If you see they were on the up and up, do what you feel.

Buy the land if it helps, or just donate *some* money in line with what the doctors say is actually needed.

Or buy the land and insist if he lives it goes in his name.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 1, 2018, 8:22 pm

Would any of them rush to your aid if you were in a similar circumstance?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 1, 2018, 10:44 pm

Would you get the Tabian Baan or Land Certificate for the purchase of the land ???

Has the land already been hocked to the bank ? , so the title remains under their control no matter what family tell you.

If the land hasnt been hocked to the bank, then family can do that and use the cash to pay the medical expenses.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 1, 2018, 11:03 pm

A farang being offered land in exchange for cash? They don't respect your ability to grasp even the most simple aspects of Thai law. Tell them to transfer the title of three or four new Toyota trucks and you might consider. Tell them to offer gold or precious metal deposits. Tell them to bring their laptops, desktops, smart phones and sexy 20-year-old sisters. Keep the bug-riddled rice fields. \:D/

The Merchant of Venice comes to mind.

oldtimeudon
udonmap.com

Post by oldtimeudon » February 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

thanks for the input folks, I reckon it is genuine as it has been happening for a few years and from what I was told it
sounded like Leukaemia or another bad illness.
I have left the ball in my wife's court as she has some money in the bank and is owed a few bob by the family and as
that is her money (I doubt I would get 5 satang off them for the loans ) and she is an easy touch.
I always cast my mind back a few years when her nicest niece was killed in a RTA and the sister in law received 800.000
baht insurance and was on the phone asking if I wanted to contribute to the funeral costs within a week or so.
stuff like that keeps me away from them for most of the time.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 5, 2018, 4:53 am

my little rice farming family are as poor as dirt, but I buy cows and land off them to help out in similar situations as yours..I wouldnt buy those things mentioned if I didnt want them for my wife and son's future..I paid 200,000 for some of sisters land Por Bor, because she was in bad debt, and could have sold to some stranger..I believe in keeping papas land for the family future, so we worked s deal with the family, and increased our land size , while she sorted things out with the guys on motorbikes with baseball bats..

hospitals are not free for Thai's..My wife just got a new job with free health care and you would think they had won Lotto, as free health is such a big score in the realm of things..but poor mama died afew years back for lack of funds for her health care..health care is not always free..

of course Thai's and family see us as wealthy, and most of us are in comparison to them. If you want the land and think it is a good deal then buy it..after you check what Wazza has highlighted..

you are family no matter how far removed you are, but you can say yes or no, save face,or loose abit...Thai's are backward in coming forward if that makes sense..and if your boy was dying in hospital and you were dirt poor, I am sure you would be asking all and any family member for help..the boys parents and family will be Sanook bun koon to you for forever if you help out..

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 5, 2018, 4:54 am

NOT backward in coming forward

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 5, 2018, 10:32 am

Thalasseamia

oldtimeudon
udonmap.com

Post by oldtimeudon » August 13, 2018, 8:56 am

to keep people up to date the boy died after two weeks in ICU and my wife went to see him and donated a lump sum
to his parents, they were very grateful and they still phone every week to say hello.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 14, 2018, 6:25 am

Thanks Old Timer for the update if somewhat sad..Well done for your part.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”