Rats in low bedroom ceiling...

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Rats in low bedroom ceiling...

Post by Mudguard » August 16, 2018, 3:56 am

I av bloody rats in the ceiling...I av been putting rat sack n they eat it n usually disappear..

Does not seem to be working well as before..

By the sound of the noise, they r trying to chew through the solid plaster ceiling..

Is there an alternative to rat sack that is better..Apart from burning down the house.. :roll:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Rats in low bedroom ceiling...

Post by Stantheman » August 16, 2018, 4:51 am

Mudguard wrote:
August 16, 2018, 3:56 am
I av bloody rats in the ceiling...I av been putting rat sack n they eat it n usually disappear..

Does not seem to be working well as before..

By the sound of the noise, they r trying to chew through the solid plaster ceiling..

Is there an alternative to rat sack that is better..Apart from burning down the house.. :roll:
Cats, wife's got 3 at here house. No rats and a big decrease in geckos and small snakes.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2018, 6:23 am

Macro has packs that have 3 I believe sticky bases in the box Place it out with some bait and wait

They are located as you enter the store on the far righthand wall about half way down by the bug sprays

Hope this helps

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 16, 2018, 6:58 am

Forget the sticky stuff to catch the rats.
too ugly.
get a rat trap which is easy to find all around.
place some fish, bacon or cheese in it and put the trap on the ceiling.
time will be on your side.
once the unwanted lodger has been caught, throw the trap in a big kettle of water and have a peace pipe smoke for a while.
then dispose the drowned rat in a plastic bag in the trash bin outside your home.

clean and proper.
no big deal.
worked fine with me 3 times already.
IMGP2906.JPG

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 16, 2018, 7:22 am

" throw the trap in a big kettle of water "

remind me to politely decline any offer of tea or coffee at your house :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 16, 2018, 7:42 am

There is a really good (depends on your definition of good) YouTube channel "Mouse Trap Mondays " that has a large selection of rodent traps including several you can build yourself that are effective.

This is one, I think he got 7 in one night with it. So just increase the size for rats.

There is also the GOODNATURE A24 RAT TRAP that is an instant kill, auto reset trap that seems to be good though expensive.
Here is a link to a short video of 26 different kill traps https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iV9X2v4XM in action.

Here is an extremely simple live trap, though it may not work for rats unless you can get a much bigger bowl.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 16, 2018, 7:59 am

the idea is to have a rat proof house..and if they are in the ceiling, ( not birds or bats) the question is how did they get there.. I would have a walk around the outside of your house, cut away any over hanging trees branches from the roof. I would pay particular attention to ground level entry via gaps in the block works, or holes around piping going thru the wall, or design faults, even power line entry, and climbing of plastic pipes running up the walls..Are they getting into the actual wall and then climbing up thru the honeycombing to the ceiling, or are they coming in via the roof / spouting...

I was a rat catcher for 3 yrs, and lived on a rat invested island where rats loved to try and get into the house, even climbed up the outside of pipes, using the pipe and wall, and even climb up wood battens two storey off the ground and in thru open windows...you cant catch them all with traps or poisons as some get trap shy or poison shy, but if you can block up entry and use a mixture of trap and poison, you might get them all...they need to come down everyday for water..

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 16, 2018, 9:12 am

stattointhailand wrote:
August 16, 2018, 7:22 am
" throw the trap in a big kettle of water "

remind me to politely decline any offer of tea or coffee at your house :lol:
i meant bucket.
somehow logical.....

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » August 16, 2018, 9:32 am

I occasionally get rats in the roof. I just take out a panel and place a Rat trap.
Bit of carrot or fruit. Gets em everytime!

Rono
udonmap.com

Post by Rono » August 16, 2018, 10:48 am

thaiboxing green balm.jpg
I do not know if you like to see the rats you killed by trap or poison or whatever. One thing is sure, they will always come back because of the rats odor that stays behind in the ceiling; pee and "pellets" and food rests (BTW... When you have rats up there, there are no mice)so you will have to try to keep them away. A suggestion: If you can find mint oil and eucalyptus oil, mixed then together with water and spray the inside of the ceiling try to spray it in wood or cement so the odor stays . I guarantee you there won't be any rat or mice in the ceiling for a while. Try to do this every two or three months. (personally I also like the whiffs that sips down every now and then when there is a little sidewind around the house)I could/ can not find the above mentioned oils so I use the Thai boxing liniment mixed with the green balm (thai use for insect bites and itch)If is a bit hard todesolve and mix with water , but I used hot water and shake it good , before placing it in a spraying bottle/ Work svery well. I spray inside the ceiling of the whle downstairs. No rats for months. I have special places I can access the ceiling on four corners. My hand with the sprayer in and just spraying around. Just a suggestion, I have good results with.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 16, 2018, 11:15 am

Rono wrote:
August 16, 2018, 10:48 am
A suggestion: If you can find mint oil and eucalyptus oil, mixed then together with water and spray the inside of the ceiling try to spray it in wood or cement so the odor stays . I guarantee you there won't be any rat or mice in the ceiling for a while. Try to do this every two or three months. (personally I also like the whiffs that sips down every now and then when there is a little sidewind around the house)I could/ can not find the above mentioned oils
I could/ can not find the above mentioned oils
Here you go, probably not much more than 250 Baht shipped.
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Eucalyptus Es. Oil : 25g. M. 88 Baht

https://www.chemipan.com/a/index.php?op ... lang=en-gb
IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG (88.58 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Mint Essential Oil : 25g. M 140 Baht

https://www.chemipan.com/a/index.php?op ... lang=en-gb
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on August 16, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 16, 2018, 11:16 am

We've had the occasional rat but, more obviously, bats in our roof space.
Touch wood, but I've had success so far by 'squashing' in some fine mesh into obvious access points, like the end corners(whatever the proper name is) of the roof.
But the plate of glue has trapped a few rats in the past.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » August 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

U can buy eucalyptus oil from chemists in Thailand..

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » August 16, 2018, 4:06 pm

The thing with rats and poison. A bar of poison should be nailed or stapled down, that way they actually have to bite chunks of it off to take back to their nest. If you just throw a bar of poison up there they will take it back to their nest and wont eat it straight away.
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 16, 2018, 5:03 pm

SeekingSakYant wrote:
August 16, 2018, 4:06 pm
The thing with rats and poison. A bar of poison should be nailed or stapled down, that way they actually have to bite chunks of it off to take back to their nest. If you just throw a bar of poison up there they will take it back to their nest and wont eat it straight away.
the ugly thing with poison is the horrible smell of a dead rat which will drive you crazy - specially during rainy season.
dying rats tend to hide themselves.
so you will have a hard time finding them - but you will smell them for many days.
that is why i prefer to catch them alive.
think about it.
:-k

harry68
udonmap.com

Post by harry68 » August 17, 2018, 6:21 am

Pauline Hansen had this problem in the fish and chip shop
she call a pest control guy
he arrived with a saxophone started playing it and the rats ran out and followed him down to the beach and drowned
Pauline was so impressed
She asked can you play the didgeridoo

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » August 20, 2018, 5:24 am

Had rats find a way in under the roof for one year (live here 12 years now)
Tried many things including rat cages and caught several each week.
Have a cat since 4 months, rats gone.

Rono
udonmap.com

Post by Rono » July 15, 2019, 7:24 am

Hi There Choi Choi and others ; I will have to take back my guarantee about avoiding rats and mice in attic and bedroom ceiling by spraying mint - and eucalyptus oil. Yesterday I had a pair (= male/female or two friends) of rats again in our ceiling. This morning I had one of them in the rat trap. So after so many months it looks like they get used to the smell or figure out that it is not harmful or dangerous. Rats are very smart creatures! Too bad, I will have to figure out something else to keep them away. In the past I had tried black (ped Thai)pepper powder, but that kept me away also . Too bad, it was good while it lasted, Anybody have a (proven) remedy to keep them away; not poison or glue traps etc etc

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » July 15, 2019, 10:53 am

The eucalyptus might be drying out and loosing its strength. My wife scattered mothballs around the loft and encouraged the neighbours cats into the garden.
I hate cats but it certainly did the trick.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

We also had rats in the attic. I told my wife to buy some rat poison. She refused because she thought the dead rats would really stink. We had an old mother cat who would climb coconut trees to catch rats. I carried her up a ladder to the attic. She sniffed around and took off. The first night I couldn't believe rats could squeal so loud. Every day I left a pan of water up there for her. She stayed up there for three days and wouldn't come to me. The fourth day she came to me and she was ready to come down. No more rat problems.

Added - I forgot to mention that I cut a hole about a foot square so the cat could get into the attic from outside. That sounded like a good idea but she decided the attic was a good place to have her kittens. I ended up covering it back up.
Last edited by glalt on July 21, 2019, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”