Thai Customs Targets Online Shopping

Thailand news, views and comments
Udon Map
Admin

Thai Customs Targets Online Shopping

Post by Udon Map » August 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

From The Bangkok Post
Written by WICHIT CHANTANUSORNSIRI

Online shoppers who buy from retailers abroad will soon be able to pay import duty online and have packages sent to their homes as the Customs Department is expanding its focus to small incoming packages.

A second x-ray scanner will also be used on packages to check whether its value exceeds the 1,500-baht tax-exempt level, director-general Kulit Sombatsiri told a forum on Thursday.

At present, incoming airmail packages are checked by the customs office at Suvarnabhumi airport and then sent to Lak Si post office in Bangkok to be distributed. If the value of a package is less than 1,500 baht, it will be tax-exempt and sent to the recipient like a local package. But if the value exceeds 1,500 baht, the recipient will need to pick it up at the post office so he or she can pay the import duty.

While the customs law waives the import duty on incoming packages worth less than 1,500 baht each, the relaxation has been exploited and many products have been underdeclared. “There are several cases where a 12,000-baht handbag was declared 400 baht,” he said.

To improve the detection, a second x-ray scanner will be added to check the content. It will also help detect illegal products, especially drugs, he said.

To further minimize underdeclaration, the department is building Big Data of buyers or importers with at-risk behavior such as those who stay abroad 40 days in 180 days or send goods to the same post boxes.

“We’re also drafting an announcement to prosecute underdeclaration of certain products by making it impossible to end the dispute at the customs officials level.

A customs intelligence centre will also be set up to share the data, he added.

Customs.jpg
Customs.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 557 times

Courtesy of The Bangkok Post
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... s#cxrecs_s

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Customs Targets Online Shopping

Post by Tom & Jee » August 25, 2018, 6:39 am

I have ordered from aliexpress 5 different things ,all of them bellow 300 baht each. Unfortunately been 2 and half months and only one item came.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 25, 2018, 8:06 am

Tom & Jee wrote:
August 25, 2018, 6:39 am
I have ordered from aliexpress 5 different things ,all of them bellow 300 baht each. Unfortunately been 2 and half months and only one item came.
I usually use DX. Com or Banggood every order arrives and usually within a week or 2.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 25, 2018, 11:05 am

Udon Map wrote:
August 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Online shoppers who buy from retailers abroad will soon be able to pay import duty online and have packages sent to their homes
Ok, so where's this online site? Nothing about it here: http://en.customs.go.th/
UFF DA!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 25, 2018, 11:27 am

Jello wrote:
August 25, 2018, 11:05 am
Udon Map wrote:
August 24, 2018, 1:39 pm

Online shoppers who buy from retailers abroad will soon be able to pay import duty online and have packages sent to their homes
Ok, so where's this online site? Nothing about it here: http://en.customs.go.th/
I would not hold your breath for changes to be put on the website after all it's taken a couple of years for the DLT to update the website to show that the temporary licence is 2 years not 1
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Strill trying to get my head around this bit.
... To further minimize underdeclaration, the department is building Big Data of buyers or importers with at-risk behavior such as those who stay abroad 40 days in 180 days or send goods to the same post boxes. ...
How does this being overseas 40 out 180 days or having a PO Box amount to 'at-risk behavior'?

I am typically out of the country working for a cumulative 4 or 5 out of 12 months which handily avoids 90-day reporting and I have a PO Box so there's a much better chance of not getting my overseas mail lifted by thieving delivery postmen.

Well bloody dodgy I am.

Return to “Thailand News”