General Discussion of Smoking in Bars & Restaurants

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Bye Bye Elephant Bar

Post by vincemunday » October 8, 2018, 8:54 am

Nothing worse, I definitely won’t go into bars/restaurants that allow smoking, I understand it’s everyone's choice whether they smoke or not but it’s my choice too, I won’t even go into places that allow smoking outside and allow it to waft inside, all it needs is a couple of paces more and everyone’s happy.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » October 8, 2018, 9:14 am

Definitely never going to the Elaphant Bar with my group
Thanks for heads up
Perhaps we should start a topic of places to be avoided for these very relevant reasons

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2018, 9:27 am

vidmaster wrote:
October 8, 2018, 9:14 am
Definitely never going to the Elaphant Bar with my group
Thanks for heads up
Perhaps we should start a topic of places to be avoided for these very relevant reasons
Great idea.

"Udon area food & drink venues for non-smokers"

Anyone can start the topic, no need to ask anyone else to do it for you.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 9:37 am

I am led to believe that here in Thailand smoking is prohibited in restaurants but the Thai/ farang owners who have a brain the size of an Ant choose to ignore it.

I'm with you VM will keep posting.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 8, 2018, 10:49 am

the no smoking law applies to bars and restaurants with enclosed air con these must have an outside smoking area any open bar restaurant can allow smoking I am a non smoker but many farangs who come out here are smokers and the pea brained bar owners dont wish to lose that custom as for going to elephant bar I beleive it is Australian owned and to be honest every Aussie run place with the exception of La Gallery and the sports bar dosent have a seperate smoking area and in these establishment from my experience the smokers far out weigh the NS I am afraid you will need to limit where you eat if u wish total non smoking whilst eating. Because I have never smoked i dont tend to get bothered about it and I grew up in a world where smoking anywhere was the norm

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 8, 2018, 10:50 am

I used to go to a place every week, rack up a couple of thousand baht bill, I shan’t name the place because I really like the owner, one week however we were sitting there and a Dutch guy came in, ordered a small bottle of beer and started to smoke, the owner never stopped him and that’s the last time we went there, I still drink with the owner, I’ve told him why we don’t go to his bar any more so I’m up front about it but he’s lost a good customer.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 8, 2018, 10:56 am

MusicalBars wrote:
October 8, 2018, 10:49 am
the no smoking law applies to bars and restaurants with enclosed air con these must have an outside smoking area any open bar restaurant can allow smoking I am a non smoker but many farangs who come out here are smokers and the pea brained bar owners dont wish to lose that custom as for going to elephant bar I beleive it is Australian owned and to be honest every Aussie run place with the exception of La Gallery and the sports bar dosent have a seperate smoking area and in these establishment from my experience the smokers far out weigh the NS I am afraid you will need to limit where you eat if u wish total non smoking whilst eating. Because I have never smoked i dont tend to get bothered about it and I grew up in a world where smoking anywhere was the norm
I nearly always eat in air con restaurants and I would say that just about 100% of them do not allow smoking so I completely disagree with you when you say we will need to limit where we eat, to be honest most of the places that do allow smoking in the bar are the sort of places I wouldn’t go to anyway.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 11:21 am

The laws banning smoking in all public places came into effect in 2008 it applies to all public places either indoor or outdoor which includes all restaurants whether they are air conditioned or not the following fines apply 2000 baht for the individual and 10000 for the public place.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 8, 2018, 11:32 am

maybe I didnt make myself clear any air con enclosed bar restaurant should be 100% non smoking outside area is then the smoking area but without including the big food chains there is not a massive selection to go to off the top of my head I can come up with Tbar Le Gallery and chefs table all but chefs table involve a taxi each way if you have transport of course your choices widen

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 11:37 am

Read and understand the law before opening your big mouth you have no idea what the correct law states do some home work on the subject before you comment again.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 8, 2018, 11:44 am

macca46 I dont believe anything I said was offensive yes laws were passed but only Bangkok followed them and then not completley bar owners in Udon have been given the guidelines by Udon authorities I dont think you would have much success getting them to go to any bar where you find a smoker and impose the fines.
Also if the same european has been sat there the last few times u visited he probably spend far more than yourself I was in a bar last week with heavy mettle being played at top vol for 3 hours by the same guy people left and others stayed didnt notice any of them come on ud map to slag the business off and i beleive your the one who should shut your mouth very brave behind a keyboard

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 11:53 am

Study the law then we will see who is right and who is wrong, until then shut up you F/Wit.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 8, 2018, 12:01 pm

maybe a written law but as it is totaly uninforced its as much use as breast on a bull and it will still be you having to change venues you can spout law all you like then get down to insults I am bored now Bye Bye Macca

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 8, 2018, 12:54 pm

Yeah MBars, the smoking topic again, started off ok then this macca46 got really nasty in his comments, dont know this person, if he/she gets fired up so quick, I would not want to know them.

I welcome smokers in the Aussie Jingjoes bar, there is an area built for the smokers out the front and at the back of the bar. Smoke very rarely finds it way inside the bar area, 4 open doors and fans aleviate this.

Sometimes I do wish more cigar smokers would come in, love the aroma of some of those good ceeegars. And no smoking in the bar at all, I stopped this practice long before in came into Thai law.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2018, 12:59 pm

Or to paraphrase Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, "I love the smell of cigarettes in the morning... smelled like... Handbags!"

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 8, 2018, 1:14 pm

macca46 wrote:
October 8, 2018, 11:53 am
Study the law then we will see who is right and who is wrong, until then shut up you F/Wit.
You should study the law if you want to insult people.

There has been a law for more than 30 years about it being illegal for people to ride in the back of Pick-Up trucks unless they have a Govt. approved roll cage fitted such as the local taxis.

More people have been killed by accidents travelling in the back of Pick-Ups than being killed by secondary smoke in Thailand.

The Government know it happens every Holiday Period and every day but have publicly said it is OK.

If you do not want to visit Restaurant/Bars which allow smoking in open air areas do not go to them as Vince does.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 5:15 pm

If you must know Sport I gave up smoking years ago but two years ago after having a CT Scan here in Udon was diagnosed with Chronic Emphysema even inhaling second hand smoke affects my lungs.

If you need proof I can furnish you with the hospital report for your cynicism.

At the moment I am very close to having permanent oxygen.

I been to your bar once.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 8, 2018, 6:02 pm

macca46 wrote:
October 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
If you must know Sport I gave up smoking years ago but two years ago after having a CT Scan here in Udon was diagnosed with Chronic Emphysema even inhaling second hand smoke affects my lungs.

If you need proof I can furnish you with the hospital report for your cynicism.
At the moment I am very close to having permanent oxygen.
I been to your bar once.
So what do you want sympathy.
That is no excuse for being nasty & telling people to check the laws when you were wrong.
A bar or Restaurant is not a Public Place it is a building which is privately owned.
it is not a government building or a railway station for example.

Do not go to bars /Restaurant's which allow smoking in open areas as Vince does.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 8, 2018, 6:09 pm

I would suggest that you should also read the laws which were legislated here in Thailand in 2008, I will guarantee you I am not wrong.

I am not looking for sympathy just stating my case.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » October 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

Why do you not go back to the country that you came from. Nanny state, PC controlled ,cannot do this or that. I enjoy Udon for the reason of real freedom of choice. I have NEVER smoked in my life, but smoking in any pubs or bars never bothered me . I would rather have people allowed to smoke in pubs rather than lose pubs altogether. As for the Elephant bar, open to the wind on 2 sides, and an excellent friendly venue. I doubt you will be missed.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”