Tourist to Marriage Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Tourist to Marriage Visa

Post by Brian Davis » November 1, 2018, 12:35 pm

A query on behalf of someone planning a move here soon.
If he arrives on a TOURIST visa (visa on entry, I believe), but is already in the position of meeting requirements for a MARRIAGE visa (including sufficient funds remaining in a Thai bank for required number of months), will Udon Immigration accept an application/approve a visa based on marriage?

OR, does he actually have to obtain a different kind of visa in his home country first?

Thanks.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Tourist to Marriage Visa

Post by dunroaming » November 1, 2018, 12:55 pm

They won't accept a tourist visa needs to be o-a visa

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 1, 2018, 2:20 pm

I came here on a tourist Visa on the 10 Nov 15, on the 8 Dec 15 I went to Laos and got a 3 month non immigrant O Visa that was valid until the 13 Mar 16 then on the 16 Feb 16 I applied for my first retirement Visa which expired on the 13 Mar 17, I'm not sure if its exactly the same procedure for marriage Visa?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 1, 2018, 3:17 pm

Its the same procedure Vince.
Apparently you have to show them money in bank at Laos Embassy & they will only give you 3 months so you can convert it into a 1 year extension.
Also if you go to Laos the paperwork has to be correct.
Better go to Savannakhet & ask for single entry visa with proof of money in bank (maybe).
I found I could talk to the people in Savannkhet but in Vientiane you can not.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 1, 2018, 4:38 pm

Just to correct my last post.
My wife was already on my retirement visa but had to go back home very urgently as her Father had a stroke.
She went home without getting a re entry visa & they did not tell her at Don Muang she needed one.

When she came back she only got a 30 day tourist visa.

We then went to Vientiane to get another 3 month Non O visa so she could get put back onto my retirement visa.
Had all the paperwork ready including bank books etc.

I forgot to bring the ORIGINAL Thai translation of the Marriage certificate only a photocopy even though the original Marriage certificate was in English.

They refused to give a Non O visa because of this & we managed to get a double entry tourist visa.
When the double entry was finished went to Savannakhet.

I asked for a Multiple 1 year visa but they refused so the Boss came to talk to me & said we could have a single entry Non O visa so she could apply for a extension on my visa.

Vientiane would not even talk about the Non O visa & it took a lot of persuasion to get the double entry Visa but Savannakhet were very sympathetic & gave us the single entry Non O

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 1, 2018, 5:51 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 1, 2018, 12:35 pm
If he arrives on a TOURIST visa (visa on entry, I believe), but is already in the position of meeting requirements for a MARRIAGE visa (including sufficient funds remaining in a Thai bank for required number of months), will Udon Immigration accept an application/approve a visa based on marriage?

OR, does he actually have to obtain a different kind of visa in his home country first?

Thanks.
The answer to your question is.
If he can meet the requirements in his home country (ie depending on age / money in bank &is receiving a government pension & no criminal record) then better to get a visa in the home countrys.

If not follow the recommendations above.

The requirements of a Non O visa to Thailand are now very strict in most home country's.

Siam legal used to advertise they could change your tourist visa to a Marriage Visa/Retirement Visa via the Ministry Of Foreign affairs in Bangkok but was very expensive & not sure if it still applies

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 1, 2018, 6:03 pm

Thanks for your replies.
The guy is likely to return at least once, maybe more, to his home country, before making the big jump. I was asked about the requirements (documentation) needed for applying for a marriage visa in Udon and I can certainly help there. Perhaps he knows more than I imagine, but it just occurred to me that he thought he could get it sorted all here, when on a normal break/tourist visa. Seems it's necessary to 'start the ball rolling' back in his homeland and get it converted, if that's the word, to a visa based on marriage when finally installed here.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 1, 2018, 7:21 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 1, 2018, 12:35 pm

Thanks.
If he is from the UK or US he will either get a tourist visa in his home country or a visa exempt entry, not a visa on arrival.

There certainly is a procedure for getting an Non-O visa at immigration offices Chang Wattana will do it. Udon immigration may do it you will have to ask, as the new boss is tightening up I think it more likely than not that they will do it. You have to have virtually the same documents as for a regular extension of stay except there is no seasoning recruitment but you may have to show that the funds came from abroad. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your permission to stay and it can be done from a visa exempt entry.

It will require two visits to immigration around 15 days apart so if he wants to use Chang Wattana he will need to stay in Bangkok.

The cost should be the standard 1,900 Baht then 2 months later you can get the 1 year extension

However Vientiane with documents and proof of funds is a good option but only single entry available.
Savannaket does not require proof of funds and a Non-O multiple entry is available.

UbonJoe on Thaivisa will have more information.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 1, 2018, 6:03 pm
Thanks for your replies.
The guy is likely to return at least once, maybe more, to his home country, before making the big jump. I was asked about the requirements (documentation) needed for applying for a marriage visa in Udon and I can certainly help there. Perhaps he knows more than I imagine, but it just occurred to me that he thought he could get it sorted all here, when on a normal break/tourist visa. Seems it's necessary to 'start the ball rolling' back in his homeland and get it converted, if that's the word, to a visa based on marriage when finally installed here.
He certainly can do it here on a break but there is some critical timing. From the issuing of the visa (and it immediately being stamped as used) he has about 75 days or so during which he can go out and come back (with a reentry permit) then at least 30 days, possibly more, from applying for the extension of stay to it being granted

from the initial VE entry he has to plan on 30 days in Thailand, it may be less it could be slightly more.

If that timing doesn't work then he can do everything here when he is ready to move, the UK embassy requirements are a bit more rigorous.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 1, 2018, 7:46 pm

pal52 wrote:
November 1, 2018, 5:51 pm

Siam legal used to advertise they could change your tourist visa to a Marriage Visa/Retirement Visa via the Ministry Of Foreign affairs in Bangkok but was very expensive & not sure if it still applies
You can do it yourself with no real difficulty for the standard 1,900 but not at the MOF. Of course you can pay a legal eagle a lot to do it for you.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 2, 2018, 4:33 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 1, 2018, 7:46 pm
pal52 wrote:
November 1, 2018, 5:51 pm

You can do it yourself with no real difficulty for the standard 1,900 but not at the MOF. Of course you can pay a legal eagle a lot to do it for you.

Yes 1900 Baht plus 3 trips to Bangkok & hotel fees as per your earlier post.
Better to go Vientiane with all the correct paperwork & get 3 months single entry as Vince did.
Then get an extension of stay
Savannakhet only do multiple entries if you are already married & take the marriage certificate plus wife's ID etc.
Preferably accompanied by your wife.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 2, 2018, 6:13 pm

pal52 wrote:
November 2, 2018, 4:33 pm

Better to go Vientiane with all the correct paperwork & get 3 months single entry as Vince did.
As I also did arriving VE first. Just providing information on ways that the end result can be achieved. Personal circumstances will decide which route is best.
pal52 wrote:

Savannaket only do multiple entries if you are already married & take the marriage certificate plus wife's ID etc.
Well not correct.
1) Udon Immigration may well do the change. I do not have the information that they will or will not. (I think it is probable that they will do the change)
2) if UI will not it is 2 visits to ChangWattana not 3. The third visit to immigration must be in the area you normally live.
3) Savannaket does not prefer that your TW is with you. And the OP question said
is already in the position of meeting requirements for a MARRIAGE visa
so it is reasonable to assume that he already married, isn't it?

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 2, 2018, 6:42 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
pal52 wrote:

As I also did arriving VE first. Just providing information on ways that the end result can be achieved. Personal circumstances will decide which route is best.
pal52 wrote:

Savannaket only do multiple entries if you are already married & take the marriage certificate plus wife's ID etc.
Well not correct.
1) Udon Immigration may well do the change. I do not have the information that they will or will not. (I think it is probable that they will do the change)
2) if UI will not it is 2 visits to ChangWattana not 3. The third visit to immigration must be in the area you normally live.
3) Savannaket does not prefer that your TW is with you. And the OP question said
is already in the position of meeting requirements for a MARRIAGE visa
so it is reasonable to assume that he already married, isn't it?
Stop talking a load of garbage you are stating what you think about Udon Immigration.

I can tell you from personal experience they will not & this is from personal experience NOT WHAT I THINK.

Two visits to Bangkok whatever.

It will cost a lot more than going through normal channels like Vince did plus saving a lot of frustration.

I do not know if he is married as he has never stated he is.
If he is it would be very simple to go to either Vientiane or Savannakhet & not bother with trips to Bangkok as I stated earlier.

You seem to think you are the ultimate authority on Immigration issues or are you just a Google searcher.
Speak from experience not google

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

pal52 wrote:
November 2, 2018, 6:42 pm
I do not know if he is married as he has never stated he is.
How can he meet the requirements for a marriage visa without being married?

Do read the first post where it says that he meets all the requirements for that visa, the most important is being married.

I certainly admit that I haven't (so far) managed to turn up to an embassy, consulate, or immigration without all the required original documents supporting my applications. I would estimate that to be over 40 visits since 1990 but haven't bothered to count them all.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”