Income Letter

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Income Letter

Post by semperfiguy » November 5, 2018, 1:07 pm

tutone wrote:
November 5, 2018, 12:42 pm
I visited the immigration office this morning and explained to an officer there that my renewal date for my one year extension is 6 May 2019 and that I could obtain an income affidavit on 7 November (this Wednesday) from the U.S. embassy outreach here in Udon. I asked him if I would be able to use the affidavit when I renewed in May. After some strange ritual that involved finger counting and a numbers game akin to picking the winning lottery combination he determined that the 6 month validity of the affidavit should be okay for my next renewal, but to be on the safe side to come in a month early. It was all I could do not to leap across the desk and give him a lesson in basic math. I mean it took him like three tries to determine that May is 6 months from November.

On a side note he said that in the future I would have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank and that he had no knowledge about using monthly income to qualify.
Tutone, would it be safe to assume that I could use the affidavit if the 6 months was up just a few days after going for the extension 30 days before the actual expiration date of my current extension? In other words, my current extension expires on June 17 and I would like to go for the extension on May 17th. I would like to fly to Bangkok to the US Embassy and get the Income Affidavit on say Nov 30, so it would expire on May 30 which is actually before my current visa expiration date. Sounds logical to me, but then again there is little logical comprehension with Thai Immigration.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 5, 2018, 1:58 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
November 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
tutone wrote:
I visited the immigration office this morning and explained to an officer there that my renewal date for my one year extension is 6 May 2019 and that I could obtain an income affidavit on 7 November (this Wednesday) from the U.S. embassy outreach here in Udon. I asked him if I would be able to use the affidavit when I renewed in May. After some strange ritual that involved finger counting and a numbers game akin to picking the winning lottery combination he determined that the 6 month validity of the affidavit should be okay for my next renewal, but to be on the safe side to come in a month early. It was all I could do not to leap across the desk and give him a lesson in basic math. I mean it took him like three tries to determine that May is 6 months from November.

On a side note he said that in the future I would have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank and that he had no knowledge about using monthly income to qualify.
Tutone, would it be safe to assume that I could use the affidavit if the 6 months was up just a few days after going for the extension 30 days before the actual expiration date of my current extension? In other words, my current extension expires on June 17 and I would like to go for the extension on May 17th. I would like to fly to Bangkok to the US Embassy and get the Income Affidavit on say Nov 30, so it would expire on May 30 which is actually before my current visa expiration date. Sounds logical to me, but then again there is little logical comprehension with Thai Immigration.
Perhaps, but why not go to the embassy between Dec. 17th and Dec. 30th. Then you would be safely within the 6 month period. I can only relate what the officer told me. I don't think it is safe to assume anything here. Anyway I will get my affidavit on Wed. and hope it works out. Sometime in Jan. I will take the affidavit to immigration and ask again if it will be valid for my May 6 (or earlier) extension renewal. If at that time they say no then I will have time to get my account up to the 800,000 baht requirement. The worst that could happen is if they completely renege on their promise when I attempt to renew in April or May and have not enough time to "season" the money in an account for the 3 months required. Then I would just apply for a 90 day non-O and get a one year extension two months later with the required money in the bank. That is the process I used back in 2009 when I switched from a tourist visa to a non immigrant O and have used the yearly extensions since the only exception being use of the income affidavit instead of cash in the bank.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 2:33 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
November 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
tutone wrote:

You would be safe, as the date the affidavit has to be valid on is the date of the application not the extension of stay date
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 2:37 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 5, 2018, 10:04 am
Just reading that message from the Embassy again, I see the main text states 400,000 baht required in bank for THREE months for a marriage visa (their terminology, not mine), whilst in Further Information further below, it refers to a TWO months requirement! :lol:
That is a good reason never to believe the embassy information without checking with the real authority, Thai immigration.

For the extension of stay for marriage the police order states 2 months every time. Also the document Udon Thani immigration hands out also states 2 months (see 5 and 6) under it is also the same in the Thai version.
image.jpg
For the extension of stay for retirement it is 2 months on the first occasion 3 months every time after that.

However some immigration offices ask for 3 months for both after the first extension.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 2:56 pm

minimiglia wrote:
November 5, 2018, 10:31 am
2 months is for your first ever extention, 3 months for the next time 1 year later
Retirement extension only.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » November 5, 2018, 3:49 pm

Not at Loei immigration

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 5, 2018, 5:55 pm

So what happens to married chaps who get over 40k per month but dont have 400k in a bank or those who are retired who get over 65k per month but dont have 800k in the bank ?
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
minimiglia wrote:
2 months is for your first ever extention, 3 months for the next time 1 year later
For the past 7 years I have extended based on Retirement, but his June I will apply based on Marriage. Just thinking ahead to try to avoid any misunderstanding......this will not be the first time I have applied for an extension, but it will be the first time I have applied based on Marriage and demonstrated 400,000 Baht in the bank. So, will Immigration say that I have to have my money seasoned for three months, or since I have changed to Marriage for the first time, will the 2 months season rule apply? I can just see them getting me caught in their net of endless possibilities to extract money from my pocket.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

Zidane wrote:
November 5, 2018, 5:55 pm
So what happens to married chaps who get over 40k per month but dont have 400k in a bank or those who are retired who get over 65k per month but dont have 800k in the bank ?
There is no definite answer to your question about income at the moment, we can only hope that there is something more in the next few months.

The only sure way after the embassy's documents are finished is that they will have to borrow the money for 3 or 2 months.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on November 5, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 6:59 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
November 5, 2018, 6:05 pm
November 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
minimiglia wrote:
For the past 7 years I have extended based on Retirement, but his June I will apply based on Marriage. Just thinking ahead to try to avoid any misunderstanding......this will not be the first time I have applied for an extension, but it will be the first time I have applied based on Marriage and demonstrated 400,000 Baht in the bank. So, will Immigration say that I have to have my money seasoned for three months, or since I have changed to Marriage for the first time, will the 2 months season rule apply? I can just see them getting me caught in their net of endless possibilities to extract money from my pocket.
If in Udon then the pamphlet I posted should be the answer, it states 2 months, I don't know the details of the change of reason for the extension best to check with either UbonJoe or Udon immigration.

If you want I can certainly post a better scan of it.

However if it has been seasoned for 2 months and they say it must be 3 then you can extend your permission to stay fo 60 days to visit your wife (assuming that you haven't already used that extension for the entry that you are currently extending)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 5, 2018, 7:06 pm

Zidane wrote:
Exactly my concern, Zidane, for the marriage extension. My income is in the form of monthly pension credits into my Thai bank account, which I live on, not a lump sum sitting there.With a renewal due in February, I MIGHT be able to get 400,000 in the bank 2 months ahead, but I'd really like to be certain if it's necessary for the hassle in doing it. Alternatively, I could get an income letter from the Embassy before the deadline and hope, for this application, that Immigration honours the 6 month validity. If Immigration, apparently, knows nothing yet of the forthcoming withdrawal of the income letter, no reason they shouldn't(honour it). But, as we see, things remain muddled. I'm not sure I could count on anyone at Immigration to stick with verbal information they previously gave to me. Yes, at the moment, some concern I might go for my renewal, only to be told that whatever I've prepared is not acceptable. Then what?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2018, 7:10 pm

"The only sure way after the embassy's documents are finished is that they will have to borrow the money for 3 or 2 months."

Is money laundering (oops sorry .... lending) a restricted occupation or are non Thais allowed to participate? (with work permit of course :lol:)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 5, 2018, 8:49 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 5, 2018, 7:06 pm
[I might go for my renewal, only to be told that whatever I've prepared is not acceptable. Then what?
then you can extend your permission to stay fo 60 days to visit your wife, giving another 60 days from the end of your current permission to stay to season the money.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 6, 2018, 4:18 am

Ok, excuse my moaning, but I'm just someone who likes clarity, i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed. Perhaps I'm in the wrong country for that? :lol: Of course, it's a little frustrating to have met Immigration requirements for many years, to be 'messed about' now when, in my view, I can provide information from a bank on regular income, which I feel more than equates to an Embassy letter. As far as any further developments in the next few months, it seems we may only hear something like 'the officer said this when I visited Immigration', all a little hit and miss, don't you feel? Is the British Embassy going to ask questions on behalf of its' expats? With Thailand hardly making it easier for expats to live here, can we expect any new positive initiatives from Immigration, written in stone? Yes, seems I might be wise to ask the wife what she has in her bank account and to move it to mine. :fryingpan: :lol:

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » November 6, 2018, 7:44 am

Took the below off Thaivisa forum this AM. Nothing new other than the source sez it is coming from the IO in Bangkok. Let the speculation began!

Take this as you will:

I've just returned from Bluport after doing my 90 day report. (unusually busy for some reason). At the desk, the IO was giving out the extension rules for next year without without any questions from me. "Next year you will have to put 65K in the bank every month starting February, or 800,000 as normal. I asked "Is this just the Brits, US and Australians?" - "No it is everybody. All embassy letters are cancelled". So I said "Is this just the opinion of Hua Hin immigration". "No." she said "It comes from Bangkok to all offices"

Every officer was giving out these rules to everyone without being asked! Being a Monday, I wonder if those rules came from Bangkok over the weekend.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » November 6, 2018, 7:50 am

November 5, 2018, 6:51 pm
Zidane wrote:
There is no definite answer to your question about income at the moment, we can only hope that there is something more in the next few months.

The only sure way after the embassy's documents are finished is that they will have to borrow the money for 3 or 2 months.
I have been putting money into a Thai bank account in my wife's name so she will have funds upon my death. I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer some of it back into my account. However, immigration wants to see that the money in my account was transferred in from outside Thailand. Borrowing money needs to be done outside Thailand and transferred into a Thai bank to satisfy the immigration requirement is my understanding.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 6, 2018, 8:56 am

maybe just withdraw it cash and then cash deposit into your account ? the problem I can see is if some guys just keep 800,000 in an account it would start to be a bit of a pain say if you wanted to change the account to another bank for a better rate of interest. I can see why they need to see monthly deposits from outside Thailand . but on the other hand I know guys that get visas based on their wife's income. quite odd really .first time I came across it was a mate , his wife had a shop selling clothes ,jewelry and things .she deposited 40,000+ every month and then used it to run the business. drawback as she paid income tax on it , but that turned out to be just a couple of thousand baht a year anyway. odd way of doing it though . but it worked...unless they have changed the law again :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 6, 2018, 9:27 am

papafarang wrote:
November 6, 2018, 8:56 am
maybe just withdraw it cash and then cash deposit into your account ? the problem I can see is if some guys just keep 800,000 in an account it would start to be a bit of a pain say if you wanted to change the account to another bank for a better rate of interest. I can see why they need to see monthly deposits from outside Thailand . but on the other hand I know guys that get visas based on their wife's income. quite odd really .first time I came across it was a mate , his wife had a shop selling clothes ,jewelry and things .she deposited 40,000+ every month and then used it to run the business. drawback as she paid income tax on it , but that turned out to be just a couple of thousand baht a year anyway. odd way of doing it though . but it worked...unless they have changed the law again :lol:
It was ok to do it that way but the law/rule was changed some time ago, I don't know when. For new extensions it is not OK, husbands income, tax, and work permit.

Your mate may have been grandfathered so he may be able to continue using that method
Attachments
IMG_5572.JPG
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on November 6, 2018, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 6, 2018, 9:29 am

Maybe good news from Tracechain at least in that definite guidance might be coming from HQ and if regular income counted for marriage extension too. Is someone actually thinking outside the box? However, "starting February" combined with "all Embassy letters are cancelled" might be problematical for some and needs further checking.
LoneTraveler wrote:
November 6, 2018, 7:50 am
I have been putting money into a Thai bank account in my wife's name so she will have funds upon my death. I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer some of it back into my account. However, immigration wants to see that the money in my account was transferred in from outside Thailand. Borrowing money needs to be done outside Thailand and transferred into a Thai bank to satisfy the immigration requirement is my understanding.
Same situation, but money also for son's future too. Our only income is my pensions from outside Thailand. I don't work, nor does my wife. However, persuading Immigration that any money I have originated from outside the country might be difficult.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 6, 2018, 10:39 am

Tracechain wrote:
November 6, 2018, 7:44 am
Took the below off Thaivisa forum this AM. Nothing new other than the source sez it is coming from the IO in Bangkok. Let the speculation began!

Take this as you will:

I've just returned from Bluport after doing my 90 day report. (unusually busy for some reason). At the desk, the IO was giving out the extension rules for next year without without any questions from me. "Next year you will have to put 65K in the bank every month starting February, or 800,000 as normal. I asked "Is this just the Brits, US and Australians?" - "No it is everybody. All embassy letters are cancelled". So I said "Is this just the opinion of Hua Hin immigration". "No." she said "It comes from Bangkok to all offices"

Every officer was giving out these rules to everyone without being asked! Being a Monday, I wonder if those rules came from Bangkok over the weekend.

Tracechain, was she speaking only about extensions based on retirement, or was this also for marriage to a Thai?

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”