?Traffic? 16-18 Nov

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

?Traffic? 16-18 Nov

Post by parrot » November 15, 2018, 3:17 pm

There's the bike fest at Platinum 168 near Ngeesoon, a Royal Project fair on the first floor of Central, and some sort of motor show on the fourth floor of Central.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: ?Traffic? 16-18 Nov

Post by tamada » November 16, 2018, 9:40 pm

Regardless of the fact that the road surface on the SOUTH ring road is buggered, the smart money is on having a really great time at Platinum 168, no?

Unless one is on 2-wheels, two concurrent 'events' at Central means a whole weekend outside the ring-road to me.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 17, 2018, 7:30 am

Traffic at Platinum 168 last night was light.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 17, 2018, 9:38 am

tamada wrote:
November 16, 2018, 9:40 pm
Regardless of the fact that the road surface on the SOUTH ring road is buggered, the smart money is on having a really great time at Platinum 168, no?

Unless one is on 2-wheels, two concurrent 'events' at Central means a whole weekend outside the ring-road to me.
Would that be the NORTHERN ringroad ?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 17, 2018, 11:29 pm

saint wrote:
November 17, 2018, 9:38 am
tamada wrote:
November 16, 2018, 9:40 pm

Would that be the NORTHERN ringroad ?
Last time I looked, neither Central or Platinum 168 were near ANY ringroads.

Amazing eh?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 18, 2018, 3:33 am

Central yes , but platinum 168 is within spitting distance of the western ringroad .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 18, 2018, 11:22 pm

saint wrote:
November 18, 2018, 3:33 am
Central yes , but platinum 168 is within spitting distance of the western ringroad .
It's a bit of a spit but yes, Platinum 168 is closer to the junction between the western and southern ring roads than Central is.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 19, 2018, 5:43 am

Yea , Whatever dude . You win .
I realise that you have to be right all the time , so in the interest of this forum , i concede .
The western ringroad is now the southern ringroad , and i guess in your world , the eastern ringroad is now the northern ringroad .
I could try explaining the four main compass points to you , but as you come from the frozen north , and the promised land , where peoples faces , the sky , buildings ect are not always grey , was always to the south , it would be impossible for you to comprehend , that there is indeed an east and west .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Oh dear. I hate Pyrrhic victories though. Do you realize how may friends I have lost and relationships forever compromised by my persistently flogging this dead horse if solely in the name of being absolutely, chronologically and geographically correct?

Are we sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

Once upon a time, there was no ring road in Udon Thani and it was good. Then they built a bypass that from the south side of town, departed east from the Mitrapharb, skirted the whole eastern side of the metropolis and rejoined the Mitrapharb on the north side of town; a true Eastern ring road was born... probably way before most of us pitched up here.

Subsequently, around 2000, the city fathers and highways department expanded this concept to handle increasing highway 210 traffic to and from the west and southwest of the city and the north. It handily had it's rough terminus at the main access road for the small regional airport and only by dint of being a dual-carriageway, the Western ring road, or the nascent 216 came into being.

However, up until some time in 2008, there was just a single, 2-way road that joined the Mitrapharb to the Western ring road that lay (and still lies) for the entire length of it route SOUTH of the city. There were considerable lengths of this 'bypass' that had an unsealed, laterite or 'red dirt' surface. It had no ring-road status either in conventional wisdom or it's classification and numbering by the highways department or at that juncture, the Department of Rural Roads under who's remit this track fell. Eventually, it became a fully sealed, two-way road and was broadly embraced as being a future component of the ring road concept.

Faced with more traffic that one can shake a clenched fist at, some time in 2013, the authorities decided to upgrade this road to full dual-carriageway status replete with re-numbering as 216 that identified it as part of Udon's visionary approach to heavy traffic management. Since it lies broadly south of the city (and always will), it became the Southern ring road (and always will be). Expats, both young and old waxed lyrical on the speed and functionality this new, safer, 'southern bypass' divided highway afforded. The 'Eastenders' could hit the 'big' Ngee Soon more frequently for starters.

Now, I fully embrace the fact that some members here may be hugely geographically and navigationally challenged or cannot get by without a GPS-enabled device versus the more traditional 'both hands and a flashlight' method of dead reckoning when poking their noses out of their moobahn. However, I can assure you that from a working life of having to know exactly where I was in order to stay alive, let alone where the nearest pub was, I am NOT one of those whose common sense you so derisively and rudely cast aspersions on. For what it's worth, regardless if one is trying to find 'the Complex' or the ex-girlfriends house in Kumphawapi, a compass is so much more than just 4-points. Just ask a sailor.

As a token to traditionalists and Luddites, I am totally OK with those who, when asking for or giving directions to (say) Maliwan Villa or (say) the PEA office, prefer to use the rather unwieldy "it's on the really ---- bit of the western ring road, heading away from the TAP... south of the airport" as a location. The purists and arguably those like me with more time on their hands than what's good for them, will prefer the much more precise, manageable and factual "it's half-way along the Southern ring road, on the left (or right)."
UTRR.jpg
Green=East. Red=West. White=South.
UTRR.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 19, 2018, 12:15 pm

Oh dear . As an ex merchant marine im fully aware there are more than four points to a compass . There are 64 which are mainly used on a magnetic compass , and obviously 360 on a gyro .
As ex merchant marine i can work out your white line mainly heads in a westerly direction , allowing for tide and currents .
But thanks for the explanation of your misconceived logic.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

You're both correct.

One of you is labeling location. The other is labeling direction of travel.

i.e. - the southern side of the ring road shows travel mostly east and west.

A similar distinction can be made for the eastern side and western side of the ring road with travel mostly north and south; and there should probably be a labeled "north" side added using part of the east and west sides. :)
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » November 19, 2018, 2:16 pm

Why did they call it a Ring Road when it has 11 straight sides, could have called it something like the 'Eleven Straight Side Bent Circle Road'. And as for measuring, seafarers should be using Northings and Eastings.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 19, 2018, 2:20 pm

In their eyes it straight lol

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2018, 3:19 pm

It started out as just a widening of the Route 2 .......... then someone had a bir'day and the Loa Khao came out

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Sport wrote:
November 19, 2018, 2:16 pm
Why did they call it a Ring Road when it has 11 straight sides, could have called it something like the 'Eleven Straight Side Bent Circle Road'. And as for measuring, seafarers should be using Northings and Eastings.
Good call Sport, could call 216-1 to 216-11. That would make it easier. \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Barney wrote:
November 19, 2018, 3:51 pm
Sport wrote:
November 19, 2018, 2:16 pm
Good call Sport, could call 216-1 to 216-11. That would make it easier. \:D/
it would certainly tie it in better with the rest of the country ..... oh 'angon, this is Thailand ...... that would NEVER be done :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 19, 2018, 4:11 pm

saint wrote:
November 19, 2018, 12:15 pm
Oh dear . As an ex merchant marine im fully aware there are more than four points to a compass . There are 64 which are mainly used on a magnetic compass , and obviously 360 on a gyro .
As ex merchant marine i can work out your white line mainly heads in a westerly direction , allowing for tide and currents .
But thanks for the explanation of your misconceived logic.
Yoohoo sailor!... but I digress.

As an alleged former sailor, you probably should not have introduced the rather irrelevant reference to the 4 compass points to this otherwise erudite debate on the standard nomenclature of (roughly) circular roadways with reference to the central object they are primarily designed to avoid in the first place... or circumnavigate if that floats your boat.

Anyhoo, this westerly direction or 'flow' that you allude to, by virtue of it being on a dual-carriageway, has an equal and opposite easterly 'flow'. Thus my southern (with respect to the immovable object that is Mueang Udon Thani) ring road could easily be misnamed by you and others with a nautical bent as the eastern ring road because it's 'heading' that way as well?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt though and accommodate your yawing about on this matter since you don't typically come across a dual-carriageway while you're bobbing about in your dinghy now do you?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

Hope all you "nautical types" know which "carriageway" to use on the water :-k

Dont want another "Princess Alice" do we [-X

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Alleged nautical type , apparently .

mech_401