Tesco to discontinue plastic bags

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
tutone
udonmap.com

Tesco to discontinue plastic bags

Post by tutone » November 23, 2018, 12:23 pm

Yesterday the checkout girl at Tesco told my wife that on Dec. 4 Tesco would no longer be using plastic bags and if you want to bag your purchases you should bring your own bags. I guess like Macro does now. This was at the old Tesco on the north side near the overpass construction.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Tesco to discontinue plastic bags

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2018, 12:34 pm

That's bad timing .......... i'm down to my last 6 or 7 hundred spares ..... and I use 10 a week for my rubbish bins ....... at least I have a year to consider my options ......... and immigration rule changes will force my departure before I run out

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 23, 2018, 2:39 pm

win-win
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 23, 2018, 5:06 pm

Good. It will encourage me to remember our own bags. I've seriously been trying to say 'no thanks'. 7/11 near son's school is crazy - they'll put a purchase in a small bag and I'll swear many just end up immediately in the trash outside the door, five paces away.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

ไม่ต้องใส่ถุง or Mai Dong Sai Tung conveys the message that you don't need the bag. Works for me every time.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 26, 2018, 12:55 pm

It appears that Tesco will provide paper bags in place of plastic, contrary to what the Tesco girl told us which was to bring our own.
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... next-week/

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 26, 2018, 1:25 pm

Wife said this am in calling in to Tesco's, Phen, they'll put 100 points on your Tesco card, if you DON'T use the plastic bags.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

On the bright side ...... If we end up packing our own bags we can avoid putting the still warm bread/cakes etc into the same bag as the frozen/chilled food. or another favorite putting soft fruit/veg into the same bag as tins of soup/beans etc. :evil: [-X

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 26, 2018, 3:19 pm

Self scanning get going to be next

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » November 28, 2018, 6:00 am

There is nothing wrong with plastic bags if the are disposed off properly (i use them as trash bags)
Plastic bags are a cheap byproduct from petrol, other types of bags are a lot more costly to produce, don't forget to clean your re-usable bags if you put fresh goods in there, have you heard of bacteria?
The problem is too many of them (farm bread in a bag put into a bag every time) and thrown away alongside the road making this country a dump.
A few months ago a recycle business was opened on the road I take daily for my bicycle ride, horrible dump that is, try this in the Western world, you biz will be shut down within days, but TIT.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » November 28, 2018, 8:14 am

Tartempion wrote:
November 28, 2018, 6:00 am
There is nothing wrong with plastic bags if the are disposed off properly (i use them as trash bags) .
Thats the problem, the bags end up in the landfill and don't degrade as not biodegradable. The scientist need to figure out a low cost biodegradable option to current plastic bags.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » November 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Well up to them, no bag, they can forget my custom same as Macro, awful, why don't they stack empty cardboard boxs near the checkouts, used to do that years ago when I lived in UK.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2018, 10:11 am

minimiglia wrote:
November 28, 2018, 9:31 am
Well up to them, no bag, they can forget my custom same as Macro, awful, why don't they stack empty cardboard boxs near the checkouts, used to do that years ago when I lived in UK.
So when Big "C" and the others follow suit your just going to starve then ....... might be worth re thinking that one .... noses and faces spring to mind :-k

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » November 29, 2018, 11:15 am

No I will never starve

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 29, 2018, 12:10 pm

JRe: Tesco to discontinue plastic bags
Report this post

Unread post
by Stantheman » November 28, 2018, 8:14 am
Tartempion wrote: ↑
There is nothing wrong with plastic bags if the are disposed off properly (i use them as trash bags) .
Thats the problem, the bags end up in the landfill and don't degrade as not biodegradable. The scientist need to figure out a low cost biodegradable option to current plastic bags.

The two options I see are
1) Paper bags BUT then the environmentalists would say we are stressing the environment using water resources and more chemicals to produce paper
2) Do nothing and don't supply anything (Bring your own, bags, boxes etc)

Personally I like number 2

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 29, 2018, 1:54 pm

I've put a few sturdy bags in the boot and just hope I remember to carry them in with me, but sure I'll get used to that. For our major food shopping, usually at Makro, I've tended to put one of these fairly big, wheeled,plastic containers in the boot. Take the trolleys to the car and offload the smaller, not too heavy items into that. The bigger, heavier items have to be loaded separately - but that is always the case. Foam boxes for frozen stuff, with free ice provided. At home, can wheel the big container into the house, although accepted it probably needs two to lift down out of the car.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » November 29, 2018, 3:02 pm

Doodoo wrote:
November 29, 2018, 12:10 pm
JRe: Tesco to discontinue plastic bags
Report this post

Unread post
by Stantheman » November 28, 2018, 8:14 am
Tartempion wrote: ↑

The two options I see are
1) Paper bags BUT then the environmentalists would say we are stressing the environment using water resources and more chemicals to produce paper
2) Do nothing and don't supply anything (Bring your own, bags, boxes etc)

Personally I like number 2
I'll go with number two ! When I was a nipper,everyone had their own shopping bags......Easy!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 29, 2018, 3:06 pm

My smartphone reminds me to bring bags whenever I arrive at Makro or Central.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 29, 2018, 3:10 pm

But in those days most of the shopping was done by housewives who would wander from one end of the High St to the other going in and out of lots of different shops ........ nowadays most shopping is done at one shop and by people on a lunch break or on their way home from work ........ everyone taking shopping trolleys and bags to the office or workpoint is not going to be to popular with most bosses [-(

It would certainly make travelling on the Central line during the morning and evening rush hour a bit of a hoot :yikes: :fryingpan:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 29, 2018, 3:39 pm

You guys do know that Makro has plenty of boxes to use, they are all on trolleys flatpacked after they unpack and fill the shelves. Just grab a pile and bob's your close relation. Plus your missus can sell the cardboard boxes each month at the scrap dealers.

As for plastic bags if they are stopped and the most difficult part is how to do attached your shopping to the bike? Paper bags not good i the rain.

As for those with environmental concerns with plastic shopping bags, it is a small issue when compared to how much plastic you get from the shops, you fill one or more of those shopping bags with product packaging plastic after the shopping detail is complete.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”