Tesco to discontinue plastic bags

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Tesco to discontinue plastic bags

Post by Doodoo » November 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

I know when I go to the market I always tell the merchant I don't want the second bag to carry the product already in a bag and I usually get a look of, well I don't know what the look is
Just think of the bags that would be saved
70,000,000 people just in Thailand not including Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam etc and if half of the population every day used ONE BAG they would save 35,000,000 a day or 245,000,000 a week 1,050,000,000 a month

Not bad for saying no I don't need the bag Thank You

Its a start whether small or not it is a start

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 29, 2018, 4:55 pm

Low income. low IQ Thais just don't care. And up here in the stix there are lots of them. They litter without thought.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 29, 2018, 5:02 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 29, 2018, 4:55 pm
Low income. low IQ Thais just don't care. And up here in the stix there are lots of them. They litter without thought.
But as I said to my misses a few weeks ago ..... it didn't use to be as bad, its only got like this in the last 10 years or so :confused:

Thinking about it, before then, they always burned all the paper/plastic/flipflops etc etc almost every night, so its the fault of the bl**dy "do good" environmentalists telling them about global warming and holes in the ozone layer that has caused these rubbish problem [-X

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 29, 2018, 5:14 pm

Gotta Start somewhere
1(One) plastic bag is a start

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 29, 2018, 5:36 pm

Excellent Doodoo I'm sure your 1/35,000,000 of a days supply will make a world of difference :lol:

Might make a bigger impact if we got the people making millions out of using plastics to invest some of their ill gotton gains into finding a better safer product. I'm pretty sure the knowledge is already there, and just like the oil industry it is being suppressed coz too many powerful people would lose.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

I hop in my Fortuner and drive to the store whenever I'm hungry. In heavy traffic it can take 25 or 30 minutes. Then another 30 minutes home. That's a long way for an afternoon snack of an apple or a pot of yogurt. But I'm saving the planet by asking the clerk to single-ply my apple bag. I thank her and and remind her I'll swing back around come dinner time. I take my virtue-signalling seriously, and receive cues from environmental stalwarts and terribly concerned Earthlings like those governing California's biggest cesspools, er, cities.
Used heroin needles and feces fill San Francisco’s streets, but some California municipalities have found a more dire threat — plastic straws.

Santa Barbara is one of many cities that has banned plastic straws. It’s the first city, however, to make use of the product a crime punishable with jail time. Hand out a plastic straw, and you’re looking at up to six months in the slammer. Each straw counts as an individual violation, too. Hand out 60 straws in one shift and you’re looking at more jail time than many murderers get.

This is madness. But environmentalists insist these kinds of Draconian measures are needed to save the oceans. The growing amount of plastic in the ocean is a legitimate concern, but it’s not going to be solved by bans based on made-up statistics and oversimplifications.

You’ve probably heard that people in the United States use 500 million straws every day. Major news sources, including The New York Times, USA Today and The Washington Post, have cited it as fact. So has the National Park Service. One problem. That statistic was made up by a 9-year-old after he called various straw manufacturers in 2011.

Looks like the layers of fact-checkers and editors at The Times couldn’t be bothered to verify a statistic that fit their narrative so well before printing it. A trade association put the number of straws used each day at under 250 million. That’s still a lot of straws.

That’s where the oversimplification comes in. Eliminating every single straw in the ocean wouldn’t make a dent in the plastic problem. Even PETA cited a report finding that plastic straws account for 0.03 percent of the plastic in the ocean. That’s not even a rounding error.

Straw bans aren’t just annoying. They distract from the main cause of ocean plastic — abandoned fish nets and fishing equipment. Scientists with Ocean Cleanup have estimated that 46 percent of the plastic in the ocean comes just from fishing nets. These nets mostly originate in the developing world where the first priority of poor fishermen is survival. Environmentalism truly is a luxury of the wealthy.

That’s where Adam Minter, author of a book on the trash industry, sees an opportunity. Rather than ban straws, he suggests American consumer demand — and be willing to pay for — practices that reduce pollution from commercial fishing, such as requiring fishermen to label their nets.

Putting people in jail for using a straw isn’t just virtue-signaling run amok. Straw bans suck energy and attention away from solutions that would actually have a noticeable impact on reducing plastic in the ocean.
Why not put a value on the plastic bags instead of handing them out free? If each plastic bag was 3 baht, Thais, and others, wouldn't be so careless with them.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 29, 2018, 9:48 pm

For B3 each (B105 million a day according to Doodoos figures) they could produce bio degradable plastic bags and still make enough profit to fund a whole fleet of refuge ships to clean up the oceans :lol:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 29, 2018, 10:14 pm

Well if you want to name names Stationthailand

I will do my part while others will say why they can;t do anything to help the cause
Don't want to make biodegradable bags I just don't want to make anything extra, paper, biodegradable, anything

I don't want to do anything to help
I just want to sit and criticize

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » December 5, 2018, 8:38 am

Yesterday was "no-plastic bag day" in Thailand, we went to the Tesco here at NongKhai in the evening and they had run out of paper bags and instead of bringing the plastic bags back out they were making people carry their items out in their arms or in carts. I'm all for saving the environment and using recycled and recyclable products, but it's going to require a level of organization not often seen here.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 5, 2018, 8:59 am

No surprise, really. The stores have been advertising the no-bag policy for some time.......couple of months. You can do Google reminders to alert you when you arrive at our favorite shopping locations to bring a bag

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2018, 1:56 pm

parrot wrote:
December 5, 2018, 8:59 am
No surprise, really. The stores have been advertising the no-bag policy for some time.......couple of months. You can do Google reminders to alert you when you arrive at our favorite shopping locations to bring a bag

Is this a case of "1984" and all that ?

How the hell does "google" know that I'm going shopping when I have no idea myself at the time I leave the house?

Perhaps google is the mega computer run by the white mice, and they are in total control of what we are thinking and doing :lol:

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » December 5, 2018, 2:24 pm

can google tell you to put shopping bags in your car before you arrive at the supermarket????

nmcd1649
udonmap.com

Post by nmcd1649 » December 5, 2018, 2:47 pm

In Ireland supermarkets done away with plastic bags many years ago...it becomes a force of habit to always have at least one or two of the 'bags for life' in your car just in case you decide to go do a bit of shopping ..it's no big issue...some folks just handle changes....get over it times they are a changing...and in this case all for the good...😂😂😂
We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing......"George Bernard Shaw"...

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » December 5, 2018, 2:49 pm

can google remind you to take the car before you go the supermarket???

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

seems best option start to always carry a back back when you go out pack it with bags and loo roll anyone have any suggestions what else we shopping commandos will need?

nmcd1649
udonmap.com

Post by nmcd1649 » December 5, 2018, 3:30 pm

Taxifor7/11 your soooo funny and comical...you must be fantastic company on a night out...laughs all night long...😂😂😂
We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing......"George Bernard Shaw"...

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » December 5, 2018, 3:34 pm

so me nan keeps telling me

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 5, 2018, 3:39 pm

dunroaming wrote:
December 5, 2018, 3:18 pm
seems best option start to always carry a back back when you go out pack it with bags and loo roll anyone have any suggestions what else we shopping commandos will need?
Best advice is to get a missus to do your shopping.
But i suppose some just like to push the trolley through the aisles and falang sections and try to look interested, then complain about the whole experience. No bags, shrinking shops etc etc. :roll:

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 5, 2018, 3:47 pm

So are you going to follow the big supermarkets and stop plastic bags at your shop too? maybe shop will be busier if you keep the bags. Thinking about Tesco and Big C what are they going to do with the millions of bags they still have in stock - landfill them oh well that would really help!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2018, 4:53 pm

dunroaming wrote:
December 5, 2018, 3:47 pm
So are you going to follow the big supermarkets and stop plastic bags at your shop too? maybe shop will be busier if you keep the bags. Thinking about Tesco and Big C what are they going to do with the millions of bags they still have in stock - landfill them oh well that would really help!!!
Give one away free with every B200 you spend:-k

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”