LED Printers? Any good?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

LED Printers? Any good?

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 26, 2018, 2:50 pm

I am in the market for a new printer and am interested in the new LED printers (with LED printing heads, not a laser printer with LED display screen). Has anyone had any experience with these?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: LED Printers? Any good?

Post by dunroaming » November 26, 2018, 3:14 pm

No experience but reviews are good more reliable and better quality than laser copiers and cheaper to run.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 27, 2018, 10:08 am

I tried to find one here in NongKhai, but the local computer/printer shops have no idea what I am talking about. I tried Landmark also but didn't have any more luck there. One merchant did ask me to show him one on the internet though, at least that was encouraging...someone who was actually interested that much.
Even on Lazada I am seeing listings that say "LCD printer" but when I look at the picture of the listing I can read "Laser printer" on the box! I do remember seeing some at an office supply store at Central in Khon Khaen though, but I can't remember the name of the store so I can't see if they have online ordering.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » December 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Although I really wanted to try out an LED printer, I finally settled for a laser printer instead due to the cost difference. The Samsung Laser color multi-function machine I bought was 8,299b through lazada, whereas the LED equivalent would have been 16,000b plus.

calliet
udonmap.com

Post by calliet » December 3, 2018, 2:54 pm

Check out some reviews first. I don't suggest buying on Lazada. Sometimes, the quality there is poor.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 3, 2018, 7:15 pm

Unless you are going to print thousands of pages, The ink jet printers are great. I have a 2,500 baht HP Deskjet ink advantage 3545 that is now several years old. That particular printer makes a lot more prints per cartridge that the old regular ink jet printers. It is still going strong and shows no signs of failure. Before that one, I had a Canon. It quit working so I took it to the shop. The print head was shot. The dealer told me that I could pay 2,500 baht for a new print head or 2,500 baht for the new HP. The HP scanner works great and copies are also very good. If it quits tomorrow, I'll try to find another one just like it. I seldom print in color but that also works great.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » December 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

Do you have any issues with the ink cartridges drying out if not used for a while in hot & humid Thailand? My inkjet in the UK dries out after about 3 month of inactivity
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 4, 2018, 7:11 am

Nigglyb wrote:
December 3, 2018, 11:21 pm
Do you have any issues with the ink cartridges drying out if not used for a while in hot & humid Thailand? My inkjet in the UK dries out after about 3 month of inactivity
Exactly....... yours and about 10 million others which is why I dumped any inkjet and went to laser.
Cost difference in the longrun is justified. Oh, and the crap about "original only toner" is just that.
I've run a HP mono now on $15 "after-market" toner cartridges for 5 years.

Some say take out the ink cartridge and store in the frig in a plastic bag.
Problem there is the head (depending on which model printer) is still in the machine drying out.

Sure there are just as many youtube sites offering " fix your dried out cartridge EASY" ....never works.
Only option is replace.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 4, 2018, 10:35 am

I think that I'm now on my 4th black ink jet cartridge and my 2nd color cartridge. The printer gets used probably once a week and I have never had one dry out. My wife often prints out 25 or 30 copies of some kind of page for her nephew's school. I keep one black cartridge in reserve but only one because I never know when the old printer will die. It has lasted much longer than I thought it would.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » December 4, 2018, 1:21 pm

The reason I was looking at new printers is because inkjet #3 just died on me, I forgot to tell the wife's niece who was house sitting for us to print out a page or two every couple of weeks and the ink dried up in the print head, took it to the shop but they said it would be 2,800b to fix it. Laser printers don't have those problems, even though I will miss having the ability to buy bottles of ink instead of having to buy expensive toner cartridges.
I bought a Samsung Colour laser printer (C480FW) with wifi on Lazada for 8,200b, the new samsung printers are actually made by HP, which is o.k. by me because I have had the best luck with HP's anyways. The reviews were good and they had a good return policy. If I remember right the Advice shop here wanted 10,800b for the same printer and would have to order it. I tried to find a Laser printer (not LED) here in NongKhai, I must have checked at least ten stores and found only one colour Laser printer with wifi and it was 12,000b.
So far I have only printed a few sheets with the new printer, it always seems to be years down the road before I know if a printer is any good or not.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 4, 2018, 1:38 pm

Just be aware when one buys a new printer, inkjet or laser, the cartridges supplied are more than likely what they call "starter packs" with a much lower output capacity than the new refills.
Replacement toner, as I said previously, does not have to be expensive.
I seem to have managed to get around 5 years on the HP with after market toner, in spite of warnings from the printer manufacturers that say, it'll damage the printer.
If one goes to the manufacturers web site, can usually look up approx how many pages the "starter" toner will produce.

Thought this might be appropriate here........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 4, 2018, 1:54 pm

Lee good reviews in the UK and more expensive than you paid

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 4, 2018, 4:17 pm

bluejets wrote:
December 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
Just be aware when one buys a new printer, inkjet or laser, the cartridges supplied are more than likely what they call "starter packs" with a much lower output capacity than the new refills.
Replacement toner, as I said previously, does not have to be expensive.
I seem to have managed to get around 5 years on the HP with after market toner, in spite of warnings from the printer manufacturers that say, it'll damage the printer.
If one goes to the manufacturers web site, can usually look up approx how many pages the "starter" toner will produce.

Thought this might be appropriate here........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ
My cheap HP printer has never had a problem during the several year I have been using it. My black ink cartridges cost 330 baht from Lazada. Since the new cartridge will last several months or longer, it is not worth the trouble to try and refill the old one or buy a new expensive printer.

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » December 26, 2018, 12:58 pm

After costly HP print heads/cartridges I switched to a Canon-all-in-One, that was a mistake, went into repair several times, looked into color lasers, to expensive.
Bought a Brother DCP T500W All-in-One at 5.xxx 3 years ago, just binned the guarantee docs, wireless and with bottle efills.
A set of black+3 color refills cost 890 on Lazada, sure you can find refills bottles at Landmark. Black color is double size.
Brother claims you can print 5.000 color and 6.000 black pages with the provided bottles.
I do not print very often and still am on my first set of bottles, although colors are low now.
With HP I needed to buy new printer heads black and color at least once/year.

Sure a laser or LED printer will print faster.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”