Supermarket prices out of control

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Supermarket prices out of control

Post by tamada » October 2, 2018, 4:17 pm

Check the bottling date on the labels when buying cases of cheap beers. A friend of mine thought he'd hit the jackpot when he found a supplier of cases of cheap Tiger in small bottles for his new pub. It tasted bad and then we checked the dates and found out the lot was over 14 months old. A veteran of the bar business told him there's a bit of a black market in the wholesale beer business where really old or spoiled (stored in the heat) stock gets sold on to the unaware and unwitting or possibly mixed in with bulk purchases for big events and the like. His supplier took it back but also pretty sure his supplier subsequently passed it off somewhere else.

caveat emptor... cheers.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 2, 2018, 5:47 pm

Khao Shong ( Thai Coffee ) Up from 183Baht for 800gms to 207Baht....................WTF !!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 2, 2018, 9:21 pm

tamada wrote:
October 2, 2018, 4:17 pm
Check the bottling date on the labels when buying cases of cheap beers. A friend of mine thought he'd hit the jackpot when he found a supplier of cases of cheap Tiger in small bottles for his new pub. It tasted bad and then we checked the dates and found out the lot was over 14 months old. A veteran of the bar business told him there's a bit of a black market in the wholesale beer business where really old or spoiled (stored in the heat) stock gets sold on to the unaware and unwitting or possibly mixed in with bulk purchases for big events and the like. His supplier took it back but also pretty sure his supplier subsequently passed it off somewhere else.

caveat emptor... cheers.
No fear with my guy, he gets about 4 Pallet loads of LEO in every 4-5 days and sometimes he is completely run out of LEO, with only Chang left. It simply doesn't stay in his little shop long enough. :lol:

I am pretty sure that Beer as a whole, doesn't stay on the shelf long enough anywhere in Udon Thani, not with the way the Thai's and Expats drink up country.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 11, 2018, 8:07 pm

Went back to my little shop 2 weeks back, bought 2 x Cartons of LEO in the Box of the Pallet stack (not Cold)

Was charged TB 610 per Carton of One Dozen LEO's

pipoz4444

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 11, 2018, 8:38 pm

You can go to the shop in the Wholesale Market on the way out of it on the left 600 BAHT A CARTON FOR big LEOS

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 11, 2018, 8:42 pm

As for prices, I haven't kept a real close eye but soon will to report. But over the past year
Makro soup bones have gone up twice. 14 Baht and now 22 Baht or an increase of 57% and whole chickens were 54 and now 61 baht per kilo an increase of 13%

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

I Use Khao Shong Instant Coffee....

Tesco/Lotus = 183 ..............Big C = 207...........Quite a Difference

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 11, 2018, 9:27 pm

Campbells mushroom/chicken cup a soup with croutons (pack of 3) 2 months ago B53 then B57 then B61 Today B66 :evil: almost 25% hike in 2 months

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 11, 2018, 9:46 pm

When I lived in UK I always checked the prices of larger boxes of a product to make sure it made sense to buy the larger size (90+% of times it was and a few times exactly the same value) When I came here I was astonoished to find that in many cases it was far cheaper to buy 2 or 3 of the small size. Not sure if its still the case but for the 2 or 3 years that we had a dog it was cheaper to buy 4 single cans of dog food than a four pack. For over a year now it has been cheaper to buy 6 small 30 g (180g) boxes of frosties (B60) than 1 x 175g box B69 Today the small boxes were 2 for B15 so only B45 for 6 making them far cheaper than even the large sizes :confused: :confused: :confused:

SaneMax
udonmap.com

Post by SaneMax » December 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Supermarkets are an excellent way to spend money.

Most food can be bought elsewhere at a considerably lower price. Last week watermelons were about 40 baht in Tesco Lotus, I picked up 3 of roughly the same size for the 50 of a watermelon farmer in the market.

Obviously this is a good example but fresh fruit and vegetables are cheaper outside the supermarket, as is meat.

Only use them for body lotion (my darling wife is running short as we are down to 4 different varieties at the moment).

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 13, 2018, 8:35 am

Ive noticed over the years that Big C very often increases prices on things to test the water , they sit on the shelves awhile , the price goes back to what it was , or if theyve really f#ucked up it goes on discount .
Just an observation .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 13, 2018, 10:29 am

saint wrote:
December 13, 2018, 8:35 am
Ive noticed over the years that Big C very often increases prices on things to test the water , they sit on the shelves awhile , the price goes back to what it was , or if theyve really f#ucked up it goes on discount .
Just an observation .
That is the same as Tesco ........... sometimes they try the same product 2 or 3 times and its like a bloomin' yoyo till they accept that people just wont pay the higher price for something, usually when there is an alternative available

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 13, 2018, 11:20 am

SaneMax wrote:
December 12, 2018, 8:37 am
Supermarkets are an excellent way to spend money.

Most food can be bought elsewhere at a considerably lower price. Last week watermelons were about 40 baht in Tesco Lotus, I picked up 3 of roughly the same size for the 50 of a watermelon farmer in the market.

Obviously this is a good example but fresh fruit and vegetables are cheaper outside the supermarket, as is meat.

Only use them for body lotion (my darling wife is running short as we are down to 4 different varieties at the moment).
Correct

There is nothing wrong with getting your day to day fresh vegetable & fruits from the local market outside of that Ring Road, as it contributes to that Local Economy. As for the meats, poultry and fish, I personally prefer to buy get them from the likes of Makro, Big C or Tesco for myself, when I am passing by, but the TG buys locally. There is not a major cost difference between my cost at Makro/Big C and hers in the local markets. Hopefully mine has a few less bugs in in for my delicate stomach.

I buy my Booze from the little man with the Tin Shed down the road, because it helps him out, plus it is close by, not because of the price. Helps him out.

Anyway, overall the Food Bill per month, is not a major cost in life. When I am home, there are 4 of us, 2 Adults and 2 teenage Kids. On a average day, I say we would spend about 1200 B a day (TB 36,000 per month), on Food & Booze when we eat at home. Not an earth shattering monthly cost.

Only buy Nivea (Body Lotion) from Makro, it has a lower coefficient of friction. \:D/ :lol:

The other monthly/yearly expenditure costs, pertain to
1.House Electricity, Water & Maintenance
2.School Fees
3.Clothing & Shop Purchases etc
4.Health Insurance Cover
5.Car & Motorbike - Fuel & Maintenance
6.Help around the House & Garden
7.Entertainment
8.Travelling

If you total up the costs for the eight items, for a year and then average them back to a monthly figure, you might be surprised at how much they actually cost you on average per month

pipoz4444

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

No i wouldnt . I know exactly what i spend on a daily , weekly , monthly , and yearly basis . I know im sad , but ran a business for years and old habits die hard . Finger on the pulse and all that . In fact to make me even sadder i can tell you what i spent over a decade ago per month .

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » December 13, 2018, 4:50 pm

Tesco brand cornflakes at 145THB in Rangsina yesterday. Bandits!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 13, 2018, 5:25 pm

daithic wrote:
December 13, 2018, 4:50 pm
Is that 500g or 750g box?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 13, 2018, 6:40 pm

daithic wrote:
December 13, 2018, 4:50 pm
I Won't Buy them anymore,Since they went up from 79 Baht for the SAME size !! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 13, 2018, 7:33 pm

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy at Seven than purchase the same product at one of the big grocery stores in Khon Kaen.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 13, 2018, 8:21 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 13, 2018, 7:33 pm
Sometimes it is cheaper to buy at Seven than purchase the same product at one of the big grocery stores in Khon Kaen.
But They Don't sell Tesco Brand Cornflakes,Which are the best Which is why I Used to buy them :shock: :shock:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 13, 2018, 8:27 pm

Can get 20 x 30gm boxes (600g) of kellogs frosties for B150 at Old Tescos currently :-D

747 do you actually eat Tescos cornflakes or just use them for cooking reason I ask is my mum always said they were the best for cheesecake bases and choccy pyramids etc, but always brought Kellogs for breakfast :roll:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”