Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Re: Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Post by Old Grumpy » December 24, 2018, 9:08 am

As usual, not enough detail to really comment.Does this apply to those already having the visa and simply extend it each year or just new applications? If already here what company is going to give health insurance to an octogenarian like me, at an affordable cost? What about those with pre existing conditions who have already been declined? I thought the 800k in the bank was our insurance against medical bills, if it's not, what is it for?
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 24, 2018, 9:24 am

This is an approval in principle for an amendment to the requirements for the OA visa

The OA visa is only available in your home country or country of residence, it is not available in Thailand.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » December 24, 2018, 9:31 am

^^ From an old man thinking about retiring to Thailand: Forget about affordability or preexisting conditions, is it possible for foreigners in their seventies or eighties to purchase Thai health insurance that will meet such mandatory requirements?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

I had Thai health insurance for a number of years. My policy said that they would never cancel me because of age. They didn't mention that they would never price me out. My policy had a maximum payout of 1.25 million baht. I can pay that myself so I canceled the policy.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 24, 2018, 2:18 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 24, 2018, 9:24 am
This is an approval in principle for an amendment to the requirements for the OA visa

The OA visa is only available in your home country or country of residence, it is not available in Thailand.
But it does say having and not applying , so i guess that includes us already here .
Just a money making scam to me . You go to any hospital and one of the first things they ask is " do you have insurance " If you answer yes , its just baht added to the bill .
Nice little earner for the medical folks .

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 24, 2018, 2:20 pm

Just an after thought . What happens to the folks who just cant get cover , because of existing conditions ?

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 24, 2018, 2:31 pm

saint wrote:
December 24, 2018, 2:20 pm
Just an after thought . What happens to the folks who just cant get cover , because of existing conditions ?
It’s the question some of us need answering,I’ve tried many times but with pre existing no success ,I have no idea what my options will be but not seeing my child isn’t one of them.As already has been mentioned what’s the point of the 800k in the bank

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » December 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

I see a news video earlier and they are talking about long term compulsory medical insurance for long term stayers.it will probably be part of the paperwork needed for the yearly visa at immigration.also all tourists will be required to have insurance when entering the country.they plan to sell insurance at the borders and airports for those not having any.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 24, 2018, 4:25 pm

800k isn't for medical, its for day to day living, don't confuse the two. Without insurance a heart attack in a private hospital will set you back 600k minimum.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 24, 2018, 4:37 pm

saint wrote:
December 24, 2018, 2:18 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 24, 2018, 9:24 am

But it does say having and not applying , so i guess that includes us already here .
No, as the vast majority here do not have visas. I don't currently have a visa and have never had an Non-OA visa.

It goes on to say
Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. They will be able to apply for long-stay visas using their foreign insurance policies, he said.
So like many things translated from Thai there is more than one interpretation of it.
As you can not apply for a long-stay visa (OA) in Thailand, that suggests an additional requirement on top of the police report and medical for that visa.

It doesn't suggest any different requirements for those extending their stay, many, probably most, didn't start with an OA.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Health & Beauty”