GBP big loser from Brexit (while EUR is big winner)

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

GBP big loser from Brexit (while EUR is big winner)

Post by JimboPSM » December 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

With two and a half years now having passed since the UK voted for racism and economic suicide, the impact of the prospect of Brexit on the GBP is clear and unambiguous:
  • Brexit has screwed the GBP while boosting the EUR
During the last two and a half years the economic prospects of the UK under Brexit have been analysed every which way not only in the UK and the EU but also round the world, the overwheming conclusion is that it will be an unmitigated disaster – there are absolutely no (i.e. zero, nil, nada) scenarios in the real world which do not result in economic suicide.

One of the clearest ways to see this is by directly comparing the performance of the GBP against the EUR in the Foreign Exchange markets.

Below are charts of the GBP/EUR exchange rate and, from the alternative perspective, of the EUR/GBP exchange rate from 1st January 2016 to date.

Both are shown in nominal and percentage terms to make comparisons easier.

1. The GBP against the EUR
  • GBP/EUR - Nominal
    GBP-EUR 2018.12.21 Nominal.jpg
  • GBP/EUR - Percentage
    GBP-EUR 2018.12.21 %.jpg

2. The EUR against the GBP
  • EUR/GBP - Nominal
    EUR-GBP 2018.12.21 Nominal.jpg
  • EUR/GBP - Percentage
    EUR-GBP 2018.12.21 %.jpg

The charts above show that as more and more time passed the insanity of Brexit became clearer and clearer, the GBP just kept on sinking lower and lower against the EUR while the EUR kept on rising higher and higher against the GBP.

One of the useful aspects in the mathematics of foreign exchange, and a reason why it is one of the better indicators of relative economic health, is that it incorporates a comprehensive spread of economic parameters (something that those who monitor intraday movements are well aware of).

While the Foreign Exchange markets are not perfect, they are actually pretty good, particularly when viewed over the medium to long term when the impact of short term noise can be minimised.

On the downside, some aspects of the Foreign Exchange markets and the movements that are generated by them are a bit like the Wild West, however their impact is generally short lived as the noises they generate tend to cancel themselves out within a few days.

The elements that I am most wary of are those of market sentiment and momentum both of which are difficult to quantify, however the practicalities, mathematics and the real time operations of foreign exchange markets mean that, in my experience, they rarely last for more than a few weeks – a relatively recent example is what happened to the USD after the 8th November 2016, it took less than two months for the market sentiment and momentum (irrational exuberance) created by the election to be overtaken by reality of the Frankenstein's monster it had created!

When all aspects are considered and Foreign Exchange movements are viewed over the medium to longer term and/or as averages (minimising short term noise), the Foreign Exchange markets do have a history of being one of the better indicators of the relative economic health and prospects between two countries (or, as in the case above between a country and a currency region).

Notes:

• 1st January 2016 is used as the start date in the charts as, while the prospects of the economic impact of Brexit started to affect the GBP in November 2015, it was relatively close and makes it easier for independent verification of the charts.

• Using 1st January 2016 should also avoid any accusation of overhyping due to it understating the impact of Brexit on the GBP (and the EUR).

• Care should be used in the interpretation of the 3 month average lines as, by virtue of them being 3 month averages, they lag the actual rate.

• While 3 month averages have some drawbacks I have found that, when taken in their correct context, they improve the rapidity of assimilation as they provide a perspective that has removed (most of) the distractions of short term noise.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Re: GBP big loser from Brexit (while EUR is big winner)

Post by Old Grumpy » December 24, 2018, 6:49 pm

It is not often a forum post makes me angry but this one certainly has, even waiting six hours to cool down before replying I am still having difficulty not showing it, so this is hopefully my contained reply .
The Op is obviously fixated on the monetary aspects of Brexit, totally ignoring it is about so much more. I suggest he gets his head out of those books and charts and looks at the bigger picture why a majority of British citizens voted for it.I was pleased and proud to get the chance to have a say in the matter , after so many years of bowing and three bags full attitude to those mongrels in Europe that having failed to gain domination over us by military might in six years of dreadful warfare were now achieving their aim by the back door of trade and legalistation, and we were stupid enough to go along with it, not just go along with it but actually contribute quite substantially financially, while they wasted millions building their palaces of power, where they could sit on substantial salaries telling us what we could do, while they squandered our money .I know that was the main reason I voted YES and I am sure so did many others . He mentions, nay not just mentions but actually states a vote Yes was racist, well if it's racist to want to preserve the style of life that our men fought and died for, not accepting that the many foreign immigrants polluting the very fabric of our society, committing rape murder and blowing up public places all in the name of their religion and customs, whilst waving their British passport in the air, then I must confess, I am a racist.However I would remind him that his idol Germany and at least a dozen other current members of the EU either by direct cooperation or pathetic acceptance of their occupation, involved themselves in the biggest ethnic cleansing the world has ever seen with the extermination of the Jews.Whilst we without worrying about the financial cost to ourselves freed them from the tyranny of the nazies.
I know there is an argument that all immigrants are not bad, well neither were the Germans but they all died because of the actions of those that were, there was a saying at the time " The only good German was a dead one " Our bombers killed both indiscriminately, we couldn't distinguish one from the other. How then are we expected to with the latest crop determined to destroy our civilised society.
The only problem I can see with Brexit is all this negotiating, I voted OUT that means out , now, stuff them in Europe let them negotiate with us if they want our trade, get out ,let them come begging, maybe we can throw them a bone when they get hungry .WE can still hold out head high on the world stage, we don't need them.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » December 24, 2018, 8:27 pm

The word racist is used nowadays as a crutch to try and bolster a weak argument.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » December 24, 2018, 8:58 pm

"The charts above show that as more and more time passed the insanity of Brexit became clearer and clearer, the GBP just kept on sinking lower and lower against the EUR while the EUR kept on rising higher and higher against the GBP."
I and probably most other board members who do not share your insights into the world of International Finance would really like to read your take on why it is insanity to leave a bankrupt dictatorship whose member states (Used to be called Sovereign Nations) are mostly in deep doo doo with massive problems in providing basic social support to their needy and huge youth unemployment which can only lead to real political unrest in the near future. I keep hearing about the markets and businessmen want stability and certainty. What could be more uncertain than mass Islamification of the Central EU States, open revolt on the streets of many Nations and outright refusal by other Nations to obey EU dictates. Sensible comments only please.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 24, 2018, 9:17 pm

personally I only think of the damage done to the GBP to THB rate 20% since brexit started! As an expat that left my mother country in search of a better life it's only the exchange rate that matters. However having most of my family still back home I do feel the pain but believe with the right leadership we can come out on top

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 24, 2018, 9:29 pm

AlexO wrote:
December 24, 2018, 8:58 pm
"The charts above show that as more and more time passed the insanity of Brexit became clearer and clearer, the GBP just kept on sinking lower and lower against the EUR while the EUR kept on rising higher and higher against the GBP."
I and probably most other board members who do not share your insights into the world of International Finance would really like to read your take on why it is insanity to leave a bankrupt dictatorship whose member states (Used to be called Sovereign Nations) are mostly in deep doo doo with massive problems in providing basic social support to their needy and huge youth unemployment which can only lead to real political unrest in the near future. I keep hearing about the markets and businessmen want stability and certainty. What could be more uncertain than mass Islamification of the Central EU States, open revolt on the streets of many Nations and outright refusal by other Nations to obey EU dictates. Sensible comments only please.
I agree completely.

As for uncertainty, what could be more uncertain for the last two years than the leadership in the UK trying to decide whether to go, stay, or halfway go/stay? I think that has had a huge role in the uncertainty in the currency. Had there been a decisive decision sooner -- instead of taking a year before PM May even started the two year process, lots of time would have passed already to settle and stabilize. There has been thirty months of uncertainty.

Just observing from outside looking in.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
December 24, 2018, 6:49 pm
It is not often a forum post makes me angry but this one certainly has, even waiting six hours to cool down before replying I am still having difficulty not showing it, so this is hopefully my contained reply .
The Op is obviously fixated on the monetary aspects of Brexit, totally ignoring it is about so much more. I suggest he gets his head out of those books and charts and looks at the bigger picture why a majority of British citizens voted for it.I was pleased and proud to get the chance to have a say in the matter , after so many years of bowing and three bags full attitude to those mongrels in Europe that having failed to gain domination over us by military might in six years of dreadful warfare were now achieving their aim by the back door of trade and legalistation, and we were stupid enough to go along with it, not just go along with it but actually contribute quite substantially financially, while they wasted millions building their palaces of power, where they could sit on substantial salaries telling us what we could do, while they squandered our money .I know that was the main reason I voted YES and I am sure so did many others . He mentions, nay not just mentions but actually states a vote Yes was racist, well if it's racist to want to preserve the style of life that our men fought and died for, not accepting that the many foreign immigrants polluting the very fabric of our society, committing rape murder and blowing up public places all in the name of their religion and customs, whilst waving their British passport in the air, then I must confess, I am a racist.However I would remind him that his idol Germany and at least a dozen other current members of the EU either by direct cooperation or pathetic acceptance of their occupation, involved themselves in the biggest ethnic cleansing the world has ever seen with the extermination of the Jews.Whilst we without worrying about the financial cost to ourselves freed them from the tyranny of the nazies.
I know there is an argument that all immigrants are not bad, well neither were the Germans but they all died because of the actions of those that were, there was a saying at the time " The only good German was a dead one " Our bombers killed both indiscriminately, we couldn't distinguish one from the other. How then are we expected to with the latest crop determined to destroy our civilised society.
The only problem I can see with Brexit is all this negotiating, I voted OUT that means out , now, stuff them in Europe let them negotiate with us if they want our trade, get out ,let them come begging, maybe we can throw them a bone when they get hungry .WE can still hold out head high on the world stage, we don't need them.
Old Grumpy, you speak from the heart. Much respect.

I was beginning to wonder when one of the UK's finest was going to step up with chest out and call this one-sided, biased view what it is -- ignorant and filled with self-hate.

Old Grumpy, you've got balls. Big brass ones. Especially to come on here with all the milk toast, weak, squishy mush that identifies as British. There are 4 or 5 others on here who I know to be BREXIT supporters who feel the same way as you, but you have stated this in a way that others may struggle to match. Alex O, much respect to you too.

The UK is on the cusp of being swallowed up into a forced reality of no return like France, Germany, Belgium and Sweden. This may be your great country's last shot at reversing the mayhem. I wish you and all Brits like you the best of luck for success in saving your country and preserving your borders. I'd stand with you any day.

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » December 25, 2018, 1:20 am

[quote=dunroaming post_id=530802 time=1545661042 user_id=18249]
personally, I only think of the damage done to the GBP to THB rate 20% since Brexit started! As an expat that left my mother country in search of a better life, it's only the exchange rate that matters. However having most of my family still back home I do feel the pain but believe with the right leadership we can come out on top
[/quote]

When I retired to Udon in October of 2007, the baht was around 72baht to the pound, at the time of Brexit, it was only 52baht to the pound.

Not so sure that Brexit really did a lot to change the exchange rate.

malc123

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 25, 2018, 2:47 am

Just my two cents worth . Yes the pound took a hiding well before the Brexit vote , and has seen a steady fall because of it . But was it actually the vote thats caused it , or the faffing around by our government trying to get a DEAL .
Or could it be that the E u itself has contributed to the fall in sterling by manipulating the markets in their favour .
Or has it been because Carney preaches doom and gloom with every breath . Lord individual whom i have the greatest respect for , is in favour of Brexit , simply because the E U wanted to control our finances like they do so many other states , Italy a prime example . I believe Lord individual told them to do one at the time .
Personally i dont care much about the exchange rate , never came here relying on my pension as such , changed all my money when it was 70 to 68 against all the advice i received at the time . Was even called stupid by some .
However what i do care about is my grandchildren will be living in a country that is free and fair , in control of its own destiny , and able to make and administer its own laws , that are applicable to its own people .
This is what my Grandfather , and Father risked their lives for .
As for Brexit being racist , well thats just complete hogwash .
After Brexit Immigration will still carry on as it has done since the early 50s
The only difference is we , the British people will be free to allow and welcome , yes welcome , the finest and the best to our shores , from every corner of the world .
Immigrants that are not just their for the handouts , but to contribute to our society .
We will no longer have to take Europes flotsom , we will no longer be told we have to take our fair share of the refugees that Merkal saw fit to welcome with open arms .
We will be able to kick out the radicals and hate preachers , without the European court of human rights saying we cannot .
And above all we will be able to buy straight bananas , and have 25% fat back in our bangers .
We will be able to take our fish from our own waters , and our farmers , whom are some of the most productive in the world , will be able to grow what they want to grow .
We will be able to use our taxes on improving the social structure of our own country , rather that throw billions at a dictorial federal state , and a chosen fews lavish life styles . The gravy train will stop .
I want my grandchildren to grow up and raise their own families in a prosperous country which they are proud of , like i did .
Not in a state that is dictated to by a bunch of faceless European monkeys .
So the sooner we as a nation free ourselves from this failing eutopia that is the E U , the better .

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » December 25, 2018, 6:44 am

Nice post Saint, I'm sure that is an accurate reflection of how the majority of born british citizens feel, now if only we can knock some sense into the heads of those elected to represent us to stop worrying about their own little financial empires and get on and get us out which they were told to do by a majority , GET US OUT, now not later, NOW. Forget foolish ideas of another referendum and postponing our exit GET US OUT NOW .Get home Teresa, stop wasting your breath talking to the self seeking, self styled" negotiators" who in reality are just dictators seeing their conquered world collapsing before their very eye's, make no mistake with our exit it will, what value the Euro then, while the pound will be soring as it would be now if they hadn't dillied so much.We have seen our money virtually down to zero worth before, after the cost of liberating Europe, we owed money to our American allies with the lease lend aid, towns at home had melted down iron railings round the parks and house wives had donated aluminium pots and pans to make more spitfires, you don't get much lower than that, but we survived and quickly recovered. I don't expect anything near that with Brexit but whatever happens the British spirit will prevail and we will once again be able to hold our heads up high, with the help of our commonwealth true friends and the rest of the world that appreciates the real meaning of freedom rather than the binds of dictatorship Euro style .OUT NOW!
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » December 25, 2018, 10:04 am

Lone Star wrote:
December 24, 2018, 9:32 pm
Old Grumpy wrote:
December 24, 2018, 6:49 pm
Old Grumpy, you speak from the heart. Much respect.

I was beginning to wonder when one of the UK's finest was going to step up with chest out and call this one-sided, biased view what it is -- ignorant and filled with self-hate.

Old Grumpy, you've got balls. Big brass ones. Especially to come on here with all the milk toast, weak, squishy mush that identifies as British. There are 4 or 5 others on here who I know to be BREXIT supporters who feel the same way as you, but you have stated this in a way that others may struggle to match. Alex O, much respect to you too.

The UK is on the cusp of being swallowed up into a forced reality of no return like France, Germany, Belgium and Sweden. This may be your great country's last shot at reversing the mayhem. I wish you and all Brits like you the best of luck for success in saving your country and preserving your borders. I'd stand with you any day.
Give it a rest will ya.
You really are full of ----.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » December 25, 2018, 10:17 am

Well said old grumpy, so true

Ziggy124

Post by Ziggy124 » December 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

It gives me a great deal of pleasure reading your bitching, moaning and whinging posts here on this this subject. Not only do I hope your GBP crashes , but also your stockmarket and economy as well, just as ours did as you dropped us like a hot potato by joining Europe all those years ago. We in NZ hope you suffer the same as you made us . Best laugh on this thread so far is the Old Grumpy post where hes woken from a six hour dream and decided to tell his pathetic dream time story.If you think us commonwealth countries as mine are going to support you, think again.Throw you a rope, we wouldn't even throw you a turd covered lambs tail. You lot deserve exactly what your going to get, pain and lots of it. Please expect more comments from me on my birthday, 29th march, picking you pommy bast...ds will know exactly my bd wishes.

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » December 25, 2018, 1:55 pm

Total garbage from the OP in this thread. I voted to leave, was proud to do so, and would vote to leave the crock of sh*t that is the totally corrupt and anti-democratic EUSSR every time. For me this is all about sovereignty, do we want a UK governed by people we elect and get rid of, or to be governed by unelected faceless people who we cannot get rid of and who clearly do not have the best interests of the UK or its people at heart?
It was also a chance for me to right a wrong from the first referendum in 1975, when I fell for all the lies that we were told then. No loss of sovereignty we were told; lies. Prices will rise, but it will be worth it in the long run we were told; lies. All I can say is it's been a very long run and we're still waiting.
All we get fed from main stream media is anti-Brexit propaganda. Whenever there is a story that shows the positive side to Brexit, we never see it, but there are plenty of them.
The 'negotiations' have been made a compete mess of, probably deliberately, by Treason May. Take it to wire, project fear in full swing against leaving without a deal, just so she can get her appalling deal through parliament. We have nothing to fear from a WTO Brexit, terms that 95% of the world trades on without any problem whatsoever.
The EU is a protectionist racket, favouring big multi-nationals over small and medium size businesses. One of the worst things about the EU is the customs union, designed to protect its own inefficient industries and farmers against competition from places like Africa. an organisation that hasn't had its own accounts signed off in over 20 years. try that in any private company and see what happens. Jail time for directors.
But according to remoaners like the OP, I'm a racist for wanting my country back, control of our own laws and boarders, and end to benefit scrounging immigration.
Well Jimbo, I am proud to be English, proud to be British, I make no apologies for being white, and I'm proud I voted to leave.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 25, 2018, 2:09 pm

Jimbo you’ve used the word bigotry in the past

Bigot:a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.
Bigoted:having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

pot meet kettle kettle meet pot

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » December 26, 2018, 8:10 am

Brittles have become confused, irritable and angry. They're melting down in spectacular fashion.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Adhoc wrote:
December 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
Total garbage from the OP in this thread. I voted to leave, was proud to do so, and would vote to leave the crock of sh*t that is the totally corrupt and anti-democratic EUSSR every time. For me this is all about sovereignty, do we want a UK governed by people we elect and get rid of, or to be governed by unelected faceless people who we cannot get rid of and who clearly do not have the best interests of the UK or its people at heart?
It was also a chance for me to right a wrong from the first referendum in 1975, when I fell for all the lies that we were told then. No loss of sovereignty we were told; lies. Prices will rise, but it will be worth it in the long run we were told; lies. All I can say is it's been a very long run and we're still waiting.
All we get fed from main stream media is anti-Brexit propaganda. Whenever there is a story that shows the positive side to Brexit, we never see it, but there are plenty of them.
The 'negotiations' have been made a compete mess of, probably deliberately, by Treason May. Take it to wire, project fear in full swing against leaving without a deal, just so she can get her appalling deal through parliament. We have nothing to fear from a WTO Brexit, terms that 95% of the world trades on without any problem whatsoever.
The EU is a protectionist racket, favouring big multi-nationals over small and medium size businesses. One of the worst things about the EU is the customs union, designed to protect its own inefficient industries and farmers against competition from places like Africa. an organisation that hasn't had its own accounts signed off in over 20 years. try that in any private company and see what happens. Jail time for directors.
But according to remoaners like the OP, I'm a racist for wanting my country back, control of our own laws and boarders, and end to benefit scrounging immigration.
Well Jimbo, I am proud to be English, proud to be British, I make no apologies for being white, and I'm proud I voted to leave.
Another proud Brit trying to preserve their culture, borders and their country.

Well said!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 26, 2018, 6:54 pm

Jimbo may be focusing mainly on the exchange rate economic effects of Brexit. But there is a hell of a lot of hate coming from the other side. The world gave it's verdict on Brexit - the pound is now worth less. Yes, the negotiations have been mismanaged - people like Davies went into the negotiations cocksure that the EU would be groveling for a deal - not so. No preparations have been made for a hard Brexit - because it will be hard, Maybe we can muddle through and come out stronger in 20 years time, but - we have no idea if we will. The problem is on the Brexit side there is no clear plan - no analysis of the implications (that was clear during the negotiations), no plan as to what we will do AFTER Brexit. There will be a lot of confusion, we just do not know how much and how long it will take to fix. There will be a lot of belt tightening first.

The UK will probably fall apart in the 2020s - Northern Ireland will vote to join Eire if it is in their economic interest, and will also have a majority of Catholic voters by then. Scotland will go if they suffer economic hardship after Brexit. UK farmers will loose a lot of their subsidies because a Brexit UK cannot afford as much, and who will harvest our fruit and Veg? Maybe we will have to conscript everybody on benefits (hahaha).

I'm glad all these Brexit fanatics seem to think they have enough money for the future in Thailand, A lot of us on pensions have had life made a lot harder by Brexit. And a lot (at least 48%) are not happy with it. Sure the EU has its problems, but they should be dealt with from the inside, not by having a tantrum. Unfortunately the fanatics want a Jihad, and care not what they destroy to achieve their dreams.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » December 26, 2018, 7:01 pm

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said “disruption” to the British economy was inevitable due to lower inward and business investment. However, the CEBR’s World Economic League Table report says post-Brexit Britain will return to the sixth spot by 2020 - a position it is expected to retain through to 2033.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/uk-to- ... -1-4848740
Does not seem to be the insane, end of the world decision that certain other posters would have us believe. A year of slight decline is worth it to be free of the ever more controlling dictatorship. Carney and all the other doom merchants can go and give themselves a warm enema.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » December 27, 2018, 4:13 am

Rick , you forgot that Cornwall and Wales will also seek independence , the sky will fall down , and of course Britain will sink below the waves .
As for the farmers suffering , i doubt that very much .Many farms in the U k are owned by Insurance companies , trust funds , retail food chains , and the like . They are run as any business and certainly get less from the E U coffers than say a French farmer , if you can call then that , we would call them smallholders , with their ten acres and 1 cow . These are the ones getting the most from the E U and have done for years .
Who will pick the fruit and veggies ? Simple answer , the ones that pick them now . The Spanish , Isrealis , Chinese , Italians , ect , ect .
Britain has the sixth biggest economy in the world , and if you take it on land area and population size , it has the biggest economy in the world . Fact !!!
Do you honestly think the rest of the world will not want a slice of that juicy pie .
They will be clambering over themselves to get that action .
Europe has been a shackle round Britains neck from day one of us joining the then Common Market .
Which is all we signed on for in the first place , A common market , NOT a United states of Europe .

Return to “U.K.”