Racist Britain?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Chuchi
udonmap.com

Racist Britain?

Post by Chuchi » December 30, 2018, 2:47 pm

Chuchi wrote:
December 30, 2018, 2:50 pm
Apologies it was a new topic for the open forum but as usual finds its way onto the General Udon Thani
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ts-calais/

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Racist Britain?

Post by vincemunday » December 30, 2018, 3:00 pm

I don't see much correlation between the subject title and the article.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 30, 2018, 3:01 pm

That article seems to be aimed at the French not UK, didn't see any reference to UK being racist at all. The migrants still want to get to the UK away from France so......

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 30, 2018, 3:09 pm

vincemunday wrote:
December 30, 2018, 3:00 pm
I don't see much correlation between the subject title and the article.
Yeah probably confusing title for interpreting,the point being if the uk is branded by many as racist why do so many people risk their lives to get there

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » December 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Whats wrong with being racist, and who says we have to love all others, oh yeah the PC brigades. I dont see a problem if you dislike a race of people. Just dont shove it in their face and do not go out of your way to help them. Some people are just too thin skinned.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » December 30, 2018, 5:07 pm

Rob we have a do gooder from the conservative party stating the immigrants should be allowed in and given warm clothing.Most homeless shelters here in the uk are higher than ever, but the same ministers are failing our own people who are homeless, and needing warmth and food.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

If racism didnt exist we would have been at war with Homo Erectus for "Hung like a Donkeys" years.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Britain has actually always been racist the English have hated the Scots Welsh and irish for years it's just only now they have more nationalities and religions to hate equally lol

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » December 31, 2018, 11:17 am

Brits need to educate themselves about what constites race and racism before continuing to make fools of themselves. Nationality and race are not synonymous.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » December 31, 2018, 5:26 pm

Giggle wrote:
December 31, 2018, 11:17 am
Brits need to educate themselves about what constites race and racism before continuing to make fools of themselves. Nationality and race are not synonymous.
You also need to be educated, Numtie only fool here is you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%2 ... ization%29

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 31, 2018, 5:40 pm

Giggle wrote:
December 31, 2018, 11:17 am
. . . Nationality and race are not synonymous.
There is a huge ignorance when it comes to racism, prejudice and discrimination.

The misinformed and uneducated seem to always lump everything into "RACIST" because it's easy and is their best weapon for attempting to silence dissent when they have no argument. By doing so, the vile ignorants have lessened the seriousness of racism by trying to label all of their enemies as racist.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » December 31, 2018, 8:07 pm

older members will recall window signs in cheap hotels back in time around Victoria station in london that read

NO DOGS NO IRISH NO BLACKS

alf garnet was popular at the time
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 31, 2018, 8:41 pm

yartims wrote:
December 31, 2018, 8:07 pm
older members will recall window signs in cheap hotels back in time around Victoria station in london that read

NO DOGS NO IRISH NO BLACKS

alf garnet was popular at the time
The Democrat Jim Crow laws in the US were similar.

The signs are acts of discrimination, not necessarily a belief in racial superiority.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » December 31, 2018, 9:57 pm

Lone Star wrote:
December 31, 2018, 8:41 pm
The signs are acts of discrimination, not necessarily a belief in racial superiority.
Technically, yes, but apples and oranges. The discrimination results from a belief in racial superiority. But it's not just that, of course. That type of discrimination can, and often does, result from xenophobia.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 31, 2018, 10:27 pm

Udon Map wrote:
December 31, 2018, 9:57 pm
Lone Star wrote:
December 31, 2018, 8:41 pm
Technically, yes, but apples and oranges. The discrimination results from a belief in racial superiority. But it's not just that, of course. That type of discrimination can, and often does, result from xenophobia.
No. Discrimination does NOT necessarily have to result from a belief in racial superiority. That is incorrect.

The apples and oranges are that racism and prejudice are beliefs and cannot be criminalized because they would be thought crimes. Discrimination is an act, and that is why it is the only one that is a criminal and/or civil offense. Those differences are why they are apples and oranges, and that is why even US law makes that distinction.

Racism is a belief in racial superiority.

Prejudice is a prejudgment based on some isolated incident or stereotype. It does NOT have to have anything to do with racial superiority.

Discrimination is an act to systematically include or exclude based on some criteria. It does NOT have to have anything to do with racial superiority, but the person discriminating must have the social and/or economic power to discriminate.

There is no automatic relationship between them, and it is wrong to conflate them. They are not the same and never have to be inter-related.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 31, 2018, 10:30 pm

Udon Map wrote:
December 31, 2018, 9:57 pm
. . .

xenophobia.
Also does NOT have to have anything to do with racism. Fear of people from other countries ... NOT fear of other races. However, even "fear" of another race is not racism.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » December 31, 2018, 10:43 pm

Lone Star wrote:
December 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
Also does NOT have to have anything to do with racism. Fear of people from other countries ... NOT fear of other races. However, even "fear" of another race is not racism.
Xenophobia is not just fear of people from other countries. It's fear of outsiders, unknowns. That includes race, country, region, religion, etc.

The word comes from the Ancient Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning strange, stranger, foreigner, guest, and φόβος (phobos), meaning fear.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » December 31, 2018, 10:45 pm

Udon Map wrote:
December 31, 2018, 10:43 pm
Lone Star wrote:
December 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
Xenophobia is not just fear of people from other countries. It's fear of outsiders, unknowns. That includes race, country, region, religion, etc.

The word comes from the Ancient Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning strange, stranger, foreigner, guest, and φόβος (phobos), meaning fear.
Yeah, I know all that.

My point is that xenophobia does NOT require that a person be racist to have that fear.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » January 1, 2019, 12:42 am

After reading some of the above comments, I think some of you posters are wrong. Forget your dictionaries and throw them out the window. Racism to me is another countries people moving to other countries and imposing their religions, laws and hatred towards the local inhabitants.

My country Australia is a favoured destination of muslims. They have border hopped from the middle east to Oz stating they are escaping tyranny, that is a lie, they want the Aussie taxpayer to provide them with all the financial benefits and not work or assimilate. The Sydney area I come from is full of these slimes and I see it first hand. The media outlets they are told to not publish or speak about it, gives a bad impression....yeah right. I do not believe the media when it comes to this sort of crap.

I do not and many Aussies are like me, we don't want these assholes in our country. So you people with a higher education than myself, get down in the gutter and see for yourselves. That is why I am racist, nothing about superior people to me or outsiders.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 1, 2019, 7:26 am

Sport is a xenophobe then.

All the largely unfounded rumors and myths about Islam and people of that faith simply feeds that disproportionate fear of something that some people either can't or won't even try to understand. This includes the fanciful notion that "Australia is a favoured destination of muslims" and "they want the Aussie taxpayer to provide them with all the financial benefits and not work or assimilate."

BTW, I thought that was Sweden?

Return to “Open Forum”