What happens on your phone stays on your phone ... sort of

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Giggle
udonmap.com

What happens on your phone stays on your phone ... sort of

Post by Giggle » January 6, 2019, 11:36 am

Apple Insider
Jan 4, 2019
"In an uncharacteristic move, Apple plastered a pithy ad touting the tenets of iPhone privacy on the side of a SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel. The facility overlooks the Las Vegas Convention Center, where throngs of tech industry insiders will gather to network, take in keynote presentations and preview the latest and greatest gadgets.

Spotted by Engadget reporter Chris Velazco on Friday, the black-and-white (but mostly black) ad reads, "What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone." The line, a sendup of Las Vegas' own marketing catchphrase "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," is accompanied by a line drawing of an iPhone XS and the address of Apple's privacy webpage.

The billboard's location — standing tall over the heart of CES — is likely not a coincidence. Attendees will undoubtedly see the sign on their way to or from the event floor, where companies with less scrupulous privacy policies are set to show off their latest wares."
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01 ... ead-of-ces

Just don't take it to Australia.
ABC News
14 Jun 2018
"Anything you have on your phone, as a passenger, is open to scrutiny or interrogation by ABF officials," Mr Edries said.

Airport authorities have the right to confiscate devices and copy their contents.

"I think they're open to [copy and download everything] if it's something that allows them to continue in an investigation," Mr Edries said.

If you say no, the ABF can confiscate your phone and search it.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-14/ ... er/9866134

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

saint
udonmap.com

Re: What happens on your phone stays on your phone ... sort of

Post by saint » January 7, 2019, 6:22 am

Or England ! I got stopped at Heathrow terminal 2 customs last year , and not only did they check my luggage , but a plain clothes customs guy also went through my phone .
Arrived an hour late , and this fiasco made me 2 hours late , but nothing you can do .

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 7, 2019, 10:38 am

What happened to reasonable suspicion for search and seizure?
I can understand being frisked for explosives before getting on a plane, but rifling through someones mail on their phone seems unreasonable. Police and customs should need a search warrant from a judge detailing why they think the passenger's MAIL must be examined before being allowed access to such personal information. A cellphone does not pose an imminent threat in the same way a shoe bomb does. I suspect the cops and customs are just getting incredibly lazy. The the dozy sheeple blindly follow the rules oblivious to the fact their personal liberties are being chipped away.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 7, 2019, 10:51 am

SOP on the US border as well where if you have any encryption on your device(s), you can either give them the password(s) or kiss your device(s) goodbye... while cooling your jets in detention.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 7, 2019, 11:00 am

tamada wrote:
January 7, 2019, 10:51 am
SOP on the US border as well
Not according to this report:
THe Guardian
10 May 2018
US border authorities cannot search the cellphones of travelers without having some reason to believe a particular traveler has committed a crime, a federal appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The 4th US circuit court of appeals in Richmond ruled in the case of a Turkish national who was arrested at Dulles international airport after agents found firearm parts in his luggage.

A lower court judge refused to suppress evidence obtained from a warrantless search of Hamza Kolsuz’s phone.

The 4th circuit upheld that ruling and found that a forensic search of electronic devices requires “individualized suspicion” of wrongdoing. The court said agents had that suspicion because Kolsuz had made two previous attempts to smuggle weapons parts out of the US.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... urt-ruling

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”