Upcoming Election on 24 March

Thailand news, views and comments
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Upcoming Election on 24 March

Post by jackspratt » February 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Well this should make things a bit interesting - perhaps not the straight run the coup-masters anticipated.
'Political earthquake' as Thai princess runs for PM against military junta

The sister of Thailand’s individual Maha Vajiralongkorn has been unveiled as a prime ministerial candidate in next month’s elections in a country where strict lèse-majesté laws make criticism of the royal family in effect illegal...........
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... tary-junta

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Upcoming Election on 24 March

Post by vincemunday » February 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

I'm quite pleased, I think the Princess will perhaps be a little more farang friendly, the royal family have travelled to Europe and America extensively, some are even married to Americans I believe, fingers crossed.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 8, 2019, 1:15 pm

On the downside she's too friendly with the Shinawatra crowd.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

I can't see how that affects us to be honest Jimmy, Thai politics as such don't really impact us much but a few farang are feeling a bit unwanted lately with the new immigration laws etc, perhaps the Princess will be a bit more sympathetic which will directly impact us..

Hope all is well with you, not seen you for ages.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 8, 2019, 1:50 pm

With the roadworks we are seldom in Udon now. Also, Peter introduced us to lovely little restaurant in his village which is easier to get to.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » February 8, 2019, 3:01 pm

Excellent news, especially if she is friends with Thaksin, best PM for years.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 8, 2019, 3:18 pm

Graduated from MIT and UCLA. All of a sudden Thai politics have become interesting!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

This intriguing development was probably nurtured by the exiled former PMs for quite a while. Working their magic.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 8, 2019, 4:38 pm

parrot wrote:
February 8, 2019, 3:18 pm
Graduated from MIT and UCLA. All of a sudden Thai politics have become interesting!!
GT93 wrote:
February 8, 2019, 3:54 pm
This intriguing development was probably nurtured by the exiled former PMs for quite a while. Working their magic.

Agree with both the above .. this development has certainly thrown some a cat amongst the pigeons.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Natas

Post by Natas » February 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

Maybe the UK Princes will get an idea to do the same. Be great to stop hearing about the issues there.
This is a great day for Thailand and the future.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 8, 2019, 7:32 pm

This is a brilliant political move by Thaksin, but it is also one fraught with danger for the country depending on the reaction by the military.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 8, 2019, 7:49 pm

You may be right, Uncle, but I suspect this could not have happened without a nod and a wink from above.

Is the military ready to take on that sort of challenge?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 8, 2019, 7:56 pm

How will Prem and Prayut react? Will the issue be discussed on the weekly state of the country address tonight?

After the 1932 revolution, there were princes in the government, but I do not know if they were elected or appointed. If they were elected, there should be no legal objection to the princess running.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 8, 2019, 8:41 pm

I had heard some "see dang" ally rumors with the "family" from a very well-connected businessman in Phitsanulok a few years ago. He assured me it would happen, but said he couldn't go into detail.

Now I understand exactly what he was talking about.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Natas

Post by Natas » February 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

Lone Star wrote:
February 8, 2019, 8:41 pm
I had heard some "see dang" ally rumors with the "family" from a very well-connected businessman in Phitsanulok a few years ago. He assured me it would hapoen, but said he couldn't go into detail.

I highly highly doubt anyone in Thailand could have predicted this news. Even more so some expat saying he heard anything years ago this was going to happen.
Do you believe your own bull? Like seriously.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 9, 2019, 8:35 am

It only took a few hours but apparently His Majesty has already issued some sort of proclamation that says no, she can't do this. Even had a special, nationwide prime-time radio and television announcement last night to say as much.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 9, 2019, 9:04 am

As an ex-pat, I obviously have no input on who runs the Thai government and I don't care. What I see here upcountry in the boonies is that there are a lot of new vehicles on the road and there is new construction going up everywhere. Highways are being made into four lanes. I do blame the local politicians for the conditions of secondary roads that are full of potholes while all the money is being spent on main roads. I do appreciate that I pay no taxes on my condo and very little on my wife's farmland and home. There are no violent demonstrations and no highways being blocked by demonstrators. Life here in Thailand is good for me. I have to jump through some hoops to be able to stay but I feel these obstacles are a cheap price to pay for the benefits. I always have the option to go back to my home country or elsewhere. Nothing is forcing me to live in Thailand. I do see some expats who are basically trapped here because they have put all their eggs in one basket. That is the result of their own stupidity.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 9, 2019, 9:04 am

I remind everyone that we are guests in Thailand. Udon Map will respect the lèse majesté laws just as we respect all other laws here. I have already edited some posts and removed others. Any discussion about the Royal Family can only be in the most respectful terms.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 9, 2019, 9:11 am

Natas wrote:
February 8, 2019, 8:53 pm
Lone Star wrote:
February 8, 2019, 8:41 pm
I had heard some "see dang" ally rumors with the "family" from a very well-connected businessman in Phitsanulok a few years ago. He assured me it would hapoen, but said he couldn't go into detail.

I highly highly doubt anyone in Thailand could have predicted this news. Even more so some expat saying he heard anything years ago this was going to happen.
Do you believe your own bull? Like seriously.
Another one lacking reading comprehension.

Damn, man. No one said THIS event was predicted.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 9, 2019, 9:13 am

glalt wrote:
February 9, 2019, 9:04 am
As an ex-pat, I obviously have no input on who runs the Thai government and I don't care. What I see here upcountry in the boonies is that there are a lot of new vehicles on the road and there is new construction going up everywhere. Highways are being made into four lanes. I do blame the local politicians for the conditions of secondary roads that are full of potholes while all the money is being spent on main roads. I do appreciate that I pay no taxes on my condo and very little on my wife's farmland and home. There are no violent demonstrations and no highways being blocked by demonstrators. Life here in Thailand is good for me. I have to jump through some hoops to be able to stay but I feel these obstacles are a cheap price to pay for the benefits. I always have the option to go back to my home country or elsewhere. Nothing is forcing me to live in Thailand. I do see some expats who are basically trapped here because they have put all their eggs in one basket. That is the result of their own stupidity.
Well said.

We are rowing boats side by side. Image

Return to “Thailand News”