Granite Countertops

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Niggly
udonmap.com

Granite Countertops

Post by Niggly » February 10, 2019, 10:50 pm

Anyone know of a stonemason or similar that can cut & finish granite to size?
Cheers

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Granite Countertops

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2019, 11:13 pm

Most of the shops that sell granite can do this, might be worth going along with a translator and asking does anyone do homers, I'm sure there will be some happy to oblige

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 10, 2019, 11:21 pm

Which shops do you mean? All the Global House etc will do it but only arrange a subby while adding a massive mark up

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2019, 11:42 pm

No Sir there are many granit shops along the ring road and also just out the road to Nong Han about 1 km from big C and same side. The big diy shops waste of time in this case

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 11, 2019, 12:57 am

Yes the big boys aren’t worth entertaining. So granite shops exist, I’m probably driving with my eyes closed :shock:

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » February 11, 2019, 7:45 am

Heading towards Nong Khai not all that far past Do Home on the left a big open front place that has many options they will make to order and not to expensive for what you get.

I think from memory there is a U turn at there shop.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 11, 2019, 7:55 am

There's one just before the Nong Kha Gam Ging turn off (the road that goes to Sri Thani Golf Course) a chap just bought a piece of pink granite there cheaper that I could buy a melamine work top. If you're coming out of town you'll need to u turn and come back on yourself and it will be on your left.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 11, 2019, 9:36 am

I'm not sure what the counters in my condo are made of. All I know for sure is that they must be somewhat porous because they stain. A couple years ago we did some remodeling at home. We used the glossy 24 inch square floor tiles for the counter tops. That saved a lot of money, they don't stain and they look great. These tiles need no grout, they are flush fit, the color is identical between tiles and and the seams are hardly noticeable. If I ever build a new house, I will make sure the counters are 24 inches wide. Ours are 22 inches and the installer had to trim one side. He did a great job but if the counters were exactly 24 inches, it would have been a lot less work.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 11, 2019, 9:40 am

macca46 wrote:Heading towards Nong Khai not all that far past Do Home on the left a big open front place that has many options they will make to order and not to expensive for what you get.

Niggly

Macca is on the money. This place is the best to start at. Will have some nice colour choices. Cut to whatever you want and have guys who can place. She speaks a little bit of English.
They actually supply other suppliers in town.
Have some nice marble slab pieces as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 11, 2019, 9:42 am

macca46 wrote:
February 11, 2019, 7:45 am
Heading towards Nong Khai not all that far past Do Home on the left a big open front place that has many options they will make to order and not to expensive for what you get.
i think you're talking about this one:
https://earth.google.com/web/@17.493362 ... MUhEdUEQAg
i used that shop 6 years ago.
quality was ok but regarding the price i had to negotiate hard.
they might still be as greedy as they were in the past.
just stand firm for what you are willing to pay.
there are many alternatives around…

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 11, 2019, 10:07 am

the place on 22 east of the Ring Road about 2.5km right near the Horse Race track turnoff. Go down 22 to the Thai Siri fresh market, do a U-Turn and head back towards town. It is a decent place. Years ago when we built our house they sized and cut the granite countertops for our kitchen and bathrooms.. Great job.. Here's where they're located: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.3783781 ... 312!8i6656
Dave

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 11, 2019, 1:47 pm

Nice one chaps

I’ve now got a few alternatives

Cheers

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » February 11, 2019, 2:17 pm

Granite can be so beautiful, but I've read that you must seal the countertops once a year. Is that a big deal, or not?
The best gadget is the human brain.

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » February 11, 2019, 4:02 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
February 11, 2019, 2:17 pm
Granite can be so beautiful, but I've read that you must seal the countertops once a year. Is that a big deal, or not?
If you are lucky you do not need to seal the countertop for many years, we have 3 different tops in our house, 10 years old and only one could need a new sealing.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 11, 2019, 4:55 pm

best way to go is have a drive around to all the shops you know to make a price comparison , about same style granite of course,((there are also shops on the road to khon kaen ,left side and opposite side but were expensive in my case ) we have used the shop on 22 , installation not really perfect , last home we used the shop mentioned here on the road to nongkhai, first price we got was from the daughter and was way more expensive than the price estimate we took 3 months later when mother present ...., what i did now is leave them cut and bring the plates and installed them our self , on the composite countertops included when we bought the kitchen , (they did cut out the sink space on the spot),and having granite in all our homes the last 18 years ,no need to seal any of them , they still all look like new ....,
sometimes when you seal them with wax , you will always need to seal again when the wax start coming off .....
as info... ;)

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 11, 2019, 5:29 pm

kopkei wrote:
February 11, 2019, 4:55 pm
best way to go is have a drive around to all the shops you know to make a price comparison , about same style granite of course,((there are also shops on the road to khon kaen ,left side and opposite side but were expensive in my case ) we have used the shop on 22 , installation not really perfect , last home we used the shop mentioned here on the road to nongkhai, first price we got was from the daughter and was way more expensive than the price estimate we took 3 months later when mother present ...., what i did now is leave them cut and bring the plates and installed them our self , on the composite countertops included when we bought the kitchen , (they did cut out the sink space on the spot),and having granite in all our homes the last 18 years ,no need to seal any of them , they still all look like new ....,
sometimes when you seal them with wax , you will always need to seal again when the wax start coming off .....
as info... ;)
Yes the young girl goes by the book and deffo charges more.i go in there with odd sizes to cover small cabinet tops and rummage through the off cuts and the mother gives me discount but the daughter won't.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » February 11, 2019, 9:50 pm

We used the same place macca described for our countertops, and other interior work. They normally have a good selection to choose from. I seem to recall the slabs are about 1" thick. We added another 1" thick piece along the edge to give it a better appearance (2" thick). They cut the slab to size and then finish (edging, sink cutouts. 45 deg corner cut etc) it in the home.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 12, 2019, 12:38 am

All good stuff, thanks.
Don’t suppose anyone can give me a guesstimate Baht/sqm cost or are there too many different variations?

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » February 12, 2019, 5:20 am

I've installed new kitchen cabinets in my U.S. condo and am about to order the countertop. The choices are among granite and quartz slabs. The slabs are one inch thick. I've viewed the warehouse supply of slabs and they all appeared to have the same thickness. Granite is very resistant to staining. I am told that quartz is more resistant to staining than granite. I will choose a quartz countertop mainly because I like their color choices better than the granite.

There are about two dozen colors of granite to choose among and about the same with quartz. A rough guess about the variation in price per square foot is that the most expensive is perhaps 30% to 40% more than the cheapest. Being ignorant I could not tell the expensive from the cheaper just from looking at the samples.

The common countertop configuration in the U.S. is a large L-shaped piece that has the sink cutout and another small maybe 18" wide piece. A stove sits between the two pieces and cabinets.

If the large L-shaped piece is in one piece without a seam, it is slightly more expensive than if the L-shaped piece is two pieces with a seam. The difference in cost was explained in that there is less waste in the slab if the L-shaped piece comes in two pieces.

The cost of the backsplash that runs along the back of the counter varies with the height. I will specify a 4" height as that is the most common and I think looks best.

I have four choices of edging styles for the front lip. The more they have to cut from the edge the greater the cost.

I have standard 24" deep cabinets. The countertop front edge usually extends an inch or so beyond the cabinet. The choice of overhang depth affects the size of the countertop and the cost.

After I have chosen the color of my counter top and provided detailed specifications to the salesman, I shall deliver the sink and faucets to the warehouse that will construct the countertops. I suspect that the salesman will require information from the warehouse before calculating the final cost to charge me.

U.S. countertop merchants vary in their practices and deals. One may offer a free sink. Another will include a charge for doing the sink cut-out and drilling the faucet holes. Some for a fee offer to do the plumbing hook ups (labor only I believe). U.S. sink plumbing is more complicated than Thai in that it involves installing a garbage disposal, hooking up to an automatic dishwasher and running a water line to a refrigerator that produces ice-cubes and dispenses cold water.

My biggest concern is that the sink cut-out location be precise. The width of sink that I have chosen has only a half-inch clearance from the cabinet walls. If they are three-fourths of an inch off, a new countertop piece will have to be manufactured

Although this information is derived from my U.S. experience, I hope it is useful to someone.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 12, 2019, 6:44 am

different colors and quality in granite , you can buy ok one already starting at 1.200 -1.500 baht/sqmeter, the prices vary depending country of origin (and quality) ..if you buy granite at kitchen shop suppliers (index,boonthavorn...) , they will charge you 2-5 times more...as info.. ;)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”