Disappearing Lands everyday

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Disappearing Lands everyday

Post by Doodoo » February 12, 2019, 11:56 am

This is one example of Lands that are being lost to rising waters in the world. In this example the size of a football field is being consumed by rising sea levels every day.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/98 ... vi-BBTsRn4

What will cities like Bangkok, Miami, New Orleans do in the future?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Disappearing Lands everyday

Post by FrazeeDK » February 12, 2019, 3:47 pm

no, it is a combination of land subsidence and seal level rise. The sea level rise is the lesser problem. Bottom line, cut off natural silt distribution and the Delta shrinks.. Read this article: http://mississippiriverdelta.org/our-co ... land-loss/
Dave

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 12, 2019, 4:04 pm

My comment is about the World Problems and not just the Mississippi Delta

But thanks for the article

All in all there are problems to be resolved

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » February 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

No probs on the east coast of Essex UK, Mersea Island same sea level as it was 100 years ago, the causeway to the Island still floods but that's due to the tides and has always been since it was built. This global warming catastrophe that's apparently on our doorstep is obviously localised.Comments from our Dutch friends could give us another aspect to the impending doom.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

:-k Who really cares. :-k

The home in Thailand is high and dry, far away from the sea and flood free \:D/ \:D/ =D>

My view is, teach the rest of the World to swim ;)

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 12, 2019, 5:17 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
February 12, 2019, 5:02 pm
:-k Who really cares. :-k

The home in Thailand is high and dry, far away from the sea and flood free \:D/ \:D/ =D>

My view is, teach the rest of the World to swim ;)

pipoz444
Gotta agree.

There's just some things in life over which I have no control. Can't worry about it. Just do the best I can to make good choices and survive.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Natas

Post by Natas » February 12, 2019, 5:45 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
February 12, 2019, 4:38 pm
No probs on the east coast of Essex UK, Mersea Island same sea level as it was 100 years ago, the causeway to the Island still floods but that's due to the tides and has always been since it was built. This global warming catastrophe that's apparently on our doorstep is obviously localised.Comments from our Dutch friends could give us another aspect to the impending doom.
Best comment on this Thread.
May these areas should be keeping the Swamps.. Instead of filling them in for property or Golf Courses.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 12, 2019, 7:45 pm

https://www.facebook.com/worldeconomicf ... 965386877/

Another piece that we are directly accountable for

Wide Awake
udonmap.com

Post by Wide Awake » February 12, 2019, 8:24 pm

Thats funny..so many still believe this Al Gore, Global Warming "lie". No waters have risen.....all you have is fake lies put out by the media. I sold my property along the Florida Atlantic ocean before Al gores "2010" All costal land will be under water. BS. Its all about imposing a huge tax on everyone and eliminating humans. Nothing has changed there. The crime went up, so I'm happy to be out. And, does anyone take their face out of their "stupid" smart phone to look up and see that every day they block out the sun with spraying chemtrails? Anyone notice we have had cool days and cold nights for over 6 months? how about that rain? No rain in about 8 months. Yeah, they started with Weather weapons in Vietnam..and 50 years later, they have it perfected. Kill the crops, animals, bees....even the bugs are gone. But no body cares.........only look at their stupid phones.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » February 13, 2019, 2:14 am

On Monday I went to John Englander's lecture at the Royal Institution in London about sea level rise.

His blog post sums it up well:

http://www.johnenglander.net/sea-level- ... es-change/

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 13, 2019, 10:17 am

Wide Awake wrote:
February 12, 2019, 8:24 pm
No waters have risen....
Residents of the Maldives might disagree with you on this.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

well, money talks. Miami house/land values rising. Guess the capitalists are too worried up sea level changes!!. http://www.noradarealestate.com/blog/mi ... te-market/

as for the Maldives here's a prognostication from their PM that if sea level rises 2 meters the Maldives will be completely submerged. https://raajje.mv/en/news/49142

sea level changes may not be nearly as bad as the IPCC and climate alarmists predict: http://notrickszone.com/2018/07/19/sea- ... ojections/
Dave

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » February 13, 2019, 3:53 pm

Look out 555 acres of new Land created by the Hawian volcano, could set a trend, more land created than lost, could be nature's way of keeping the equalibrian. When Greenland and the Antarctic melts think of all that new Land available for settlement.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

dougmatelot

Post by dougmatelot » February 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

I was on HMS St Brides Bay as guard ship for RAF Gan; Adu Atol in the Maldives in 1959; again on HMS Loch Lomond in 1962 when we took the rebel leader from the Maldives to the Seychelles. I visited as a civilian holiday maker in 1969, my daughter visited in 2000; and I have friends who've visited recently. The highest point above sea level is about 2 metres; it was in 1959 and still is. The main threat to the Maldives is the greed of its rulers; despoiling beautiful unspoiled islands and seas to earn the tourist "dollar"; also they use one island purely as a land fill for all the rubbish now being produced by these tourists. I wince when I see pictures of these "holiday" resorts; and I could never return as I treasure my memories of 60 years ago.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » February 17, 2019, 3:51 am

Climate change could actually help coral islands rise again but they're still at risk:

http://theconversation.com/maldives-cli ... isk-106586

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 17, 2019, 6:43 pm

Actually, Mersea is at risk -

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/lowestoft-t ... -1-5797381

What we need to remember is that sea levels rise slowly - since the big flood in the 1950's, maybe by about only 10 centimetres, Same for the Maldives. Not enough change to be easily seen by the individual.

Sea level is now rising faster, at least another 25 centimetres this century (that amount is already pretty much unavoidable due to the warming that has already happened, let alone even higher temps). May not seem like much but the higher water levels increase coastal erosion - so a 10 centimetre rise in level will eventually submerge many horizontal metres of land in many cases.

An example of how a small rise can have significant effects are the Norfolk Broads. Originally peat workings, sea level rise of less than 30 cms during the Medieval warm period flooded them.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » February 18, 2019, 8:18 am

rick wrote:
February 17, 2019, 6:43 pm
Actually, Mersea is at risk -

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/lowestoft-t ... -1-5797381

What we need to remember is that sea levels rise slowly - since the big flood in the 1950's, maybe by about only 10 centimetres, Same for the Maldives. Not enough change to be easily seen by the individual.

Sea level is now rising faster, at least another 25 centimetres this century (that amount is already pretty much unavoidable due to the warming that has already happened, let alone even higher temps). May not seem like much but the higher water levels increase coastal erosion - so a 10 centimetre rise in level will eventually submerge many horizontal metres of land in many cases.

An example of how a small rise can have significant effects are the Norfolk Broads. Originally peat workings, sea level rise of less than 30 cms during the Medieval warm period flooded them.
The floods in 53 were caused by a storm and exceptionally high tides.
One man's erosion is another man's deposit.
What caused the Medieval warm spell? Whose to say we are not experiencing a similar event.
My view, like many others, is all this scaremongering is to justify governments raising taxes. Nature will take its course who knows, these experts are so clever they can't accurately predict the weather, volcanic eruptions or earthquakes yet, what chance is there that they can predict events a 100 years in the future.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 18, 2019, 8:51 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
February 18, 2019, 8:18 am
My view, like many others, is all this scaremongering .....................
And what if you, like many others, have got it wrong?

This isn't an "oh -----, the people who know what they are talking about were right - we had better flick the switch" event.

But that won't affect you, or me, will it? [-(

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » February 18, 2019, 9:19 am

jackspratt wrote:
February 18, 2019, 8:51 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
February 18, 2019, 8:18 am
My view, like many others, is all this scaremongering .....................
And what if you, like many others, have got it wrong?

This isn't an "oh -----, the people who know what they are talking about were right - we had better flick the switch" event.
as
But that won't affect you, or me, will it? [-(
You obviously have a different outlook to me, what do l care as you suggest it won't affect me, maybe my kids or grand children sometime down the road but l don't worry about that. What is far more worrying and not far away for all of us is the effect of the world's increasing population and globalisation that's been forced on us.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 18, 2019, 11:26 am

Looks to me like many new construction jobs building dams and dikes plus many new large lakes created by the vast amount of dirt needed for these projects. Lessons from the Netherlands need to be studied.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”