British Marriage Certificate Problem?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Bonanza
udonmap.com

British Marriage Certificate Problem?

Post by Bonanza » February 23, 2019, 10:08 am

My experiences with Udon Immigration Office have previously been very positive.

We have a British friend and his Thai wife staying with us for a holiday over the winter. In UK he requested a four month visa, but was given a 90 day visa for being married to a Thai. He was told that he could get a 30 day extension at Immigration in Udon. He duly arranged his flights/insurance etc accordingly.

Yesterday afternoon (Friday), being the 88th day of his stay we went to Udon immigration to request a 30 day extension.
We appeared to be the only 'customers' and were seen immediately by a young man by the name of Police Captain ERKCHRI POSAWANG. He read through the application form and demanded a copy of my friends marriage certificate. This was duly presented, however Captain Erkchri refused to accept it.

He stated that the marriage certificate must be either endorsed with the stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, or the Thai Embassy in London.
The marriage certificate presented was the same format as mine, and the 'standard' British copy of an entry of marriage.
Other immigration officers appeared embarrassed, studiously looking away from us - but non interfered in the discussion.
When my friend asked what he should do, he was told to "go to Lao and return". captain Erkchri refused to discuss the matter further and dismissed us!

I bring this to the attention of all Brits. It was probably Captain Erkchri making up his own rules, but it MIGHT be another new requirement.

I drove my friend to Nong Khai and he did the Lao trip in less than two hours and received a 30day visa on his reentry to Thailand.

Thai Immigration minus 1,900 baht: Lao Immigration plus U$35 !! :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: British Marriage Certificate Problem?

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 23, 2019, 10:28 am

Bonanza wrote:
February 23, 2019, 10:08 am

He stated that the marriage certificate must be either endorsed with the stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, or the Thai Embassy in London.
The marriage certificate presented was the same format as mine, and the 'standard' British copy of an entry of marriage.
Other immigration officers appeared embarrassed, studiously looking away from us - but non interfered in the discussion.
When my friend asked what he should do, he was told to "go to Lao and return". captain Erkchri refused to discuss the matter further and dismissed us!

I bring this to the attention of all Brits. It was probably Captain Erkchri making up his own rules, but it MIGHT be another new requirement.
AFIK it has been the case for some time (years?) that a foreign marriage certificate, by itself, is not acceptable proof of marriage and that a UK one needs the UK embassy/MoFA stamp.

I think that you have been lucky (or allowed due to previous rules being applied to you).

Do you have to supply a cor ror 22 with your application?
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on February 23, 2019, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 23, 2019, 10:30 am

Extension of stay based on marriage with a thai:
if the marriage was done abroad, then the marriage certificate has to be registred by the ministry of foreign affairs in bkk (green stamp on document).
this is common law since around 2012/2013.
so the IO was right.

you should have applied for a extension of stay as a tourist not as a spouse (….).
anyway, going to laos and returning to Thailand with another 30 days (as a tourist) did the job.

Keep cool - this is Thailand.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » February 23, 2019, 10:24 pm

Thanks for your input.
It would seem that I have been lucky over the years,and that Captain Erkchri was correct in his decision. I'll now get my own marriage certificate appropriately validated in case it is needed in future. :D

thegrogmonster

Post by thegrogmonster » February 24, 2019, 3:51 am

I thought land crossings only gave you 15 days and not 30.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 24, 2019, 11:13 am

thegrogmonster wrote:
February 24, 2019, 3:51 am
I thought land crossings only gave you 15 days and not 30.
That changed about 2 years ago, at around the same time as the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year rule came in.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”