American Stabbed to Death

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

American Stabbed to Death

Post by parrot » March 3, 2019, 4:11 pm

No time to do a gist......but you can google translate the article and get an idea of the events.
33 year old American, stabbed by drunk father-in-law, in Sam Prao, you get the idea.
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1509 ... xx7CuC6WWE

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: American Stabbed to Death

Post by tamada » March 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Wrong link?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 4, 2019, 9:20 am

well the article link posted shows a cute 27 year old girl that has her "cupid" dad putting out an advertisement to find her a husband.... Google translated it and read through it expecting to find a dead American at the end.. Nope...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 4, 2019, 9:57 am

I hate it when that happens......the correct link is
https://www.talknewsonline.com/108642/
The other link is about a durian seller who's looking for a husband for his daughter. 10,000,000 baht will do the trick, nothing less.
My apologies for the confusion

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 4, 2019, 3:43 pm

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 4, 2019, 7:30 pm

Is there a mainstream media report on this? In The Nation or Bangkok Post?
Or internationally?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

rct wrote:
March 4, 2019, 7:30 pm
Or internationally?
None that I can find. There are 6 or more Thai websites that carry the story. One shows his passport photo with USAFletcher at the bottom....which would lead one to believe his last name is Fletcher. But every Thai website carries his name as แบรนดอน เจมส์ (Brandon James).

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 4, 2019, 9:24 pm

parrot wrote:
March 4, 2019, 7:59 pm
rct wrote:
March 4, 2019, 7:30 pm
Or internationally?
None that I can find. There are 6 or more Thai websites that carry the story. One shows his passport photo with USAFletcher at the bottom....which would lead one to believe his last name is Fletcher. But every Thai website carries his name as แบรนดอน เจมส์ (Brandon James).
Think reason for confusion by Thai media on name is that below picture name after USA is Last, First, Middle so his actual name is Brandon James Fletcher.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 4, 2019, 9:36 pm

no mention in mainstream media as they like to cover this type of thing up a farang does this to a Thai and would be rverywhere its like when anything happens oh a Thai person wouldnt do this wake up they can be nasty as hell especialy when money drug or booze is involved

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 4, 2019, 10:58 pm

Agree .. at all cost this will be covered up and kept out of the mainstream media if at all possible .. the deceased family will maybe make some noises but this will remain under the radar for sure .. now as MB states IF the other way round the American had commited the same crime against the unstable looking Thai father in law my guessing this would be front page news , finger pointing reinactments the full monty ....TIT
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 5, 2019, 7:01 am

There's no report yet on the farang deaths website:

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

I thought there might be as there's probably a lot of interest in this farang death.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 5, 2019, 1:34 pm

of course translate is very poor with Thai language but from what it says the stabber had a bad omen and then didnt understand english so of course he stabbed him i woul love to try this defence as a Farang would be directley to Bangkok Hilton do not pass go

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 5, 2019, 3:05 pm

Two things pointed out in the half dozen articles.......the Thai man was drunk and the Thai/Foreigner couldn't communicate.
I learned looong ago to avoid the villagers when they're drunk...especially lao kao drunk. That's one reason I don't do temple maw lahm's.

As for Thai media not covering the story or covering up the story, I disagree. While most of the Thai websites carrying the story are mirror images of each other, that's par for the course for Thai journalism. In addition to the newsline coverage, there's a 2.5 minute clip on the Udon Home Cable website (also youtube). There's not much else to report, sad to say.....the American is dead, the Thai man was apprehended. You'll hear nothing of any sort of sentencing as is the norm for all but the most publicized/newsworthy crimes (movie stars, celebrities, major politicians etc). That's the way the news works in Thailand....for the 20 years we've been here.
Our gardener was murdered at a Loy Kratung festival many years ago......there wasn't a word in the local press. Nada.
I would hesitate to say 'coverup' or 'not reported' unless I was knowledgeable of what's actually been reported. This sort of crime will not warrant CNN/Fox coverage. It's a village crime.....not untypical of a villager getting drunk and exacting injury on another......only in this case, the victim was an American.
That's my 2 satang

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 5, 2019, 6:39 pm

parrot wrote:
March 5, 2019, 3:05 pm
Two things pointed out in the half dozen articles.......the Thai man was drunk and the Thai/Foreigner couldn't communicate.
I learned looong ago to avoid the villagers when they're drunk...especially lao kao drunk. That's one reason I don't do temple maw lahm's.

As for Thai media not covering the story or covering up the story, I disagree. While most of the Thai websites carrying the story are mirror images of each other, that's par for the course for Thai journalism. In addition to the newsline coverage, there's a 2.5 minute clip on the Udon Home Cable website (also youtube). There's not much else to report, sad to say.....the American is dead, the Thai man was apprehended. You'll hear nothing of any sort of sentencing as is the norm for all but the most publicized/newsworthy crimes (movie stars, celebrities, major politicians etc). That's the way the news works in Thailand....for the 20 years we've been here.
Our gardener was murdered at a Loy Kratung festival many years ago......there wasn't a word in the local press. Nada.
I would hesitate to say 'coverup' or 'not reported' unless I was knowledgeable of what's actually been reported. This sort of crime will not warrant CNN/Fox coverage. It's a village crime.....not untypical of a villager getting drunk and exacting injury on another......only in this case, the victim was an American.
That's my 2 satang
and if a farang had done this to a Thai the news blackout would be the same rubish remember the German guy at the internet shop full blown man hunt you have those rose doloured glasses on again and I guess its ok coz the Thai was drunk and didnt understand its nothing but excuses

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 5, 2019, 6:51 pm

MusicalBars wrote:
March 5, 2019, 6:39 pm
...............you have those rose doloured glasses on again .............
I think you are confusing rose (d)coloured glasses with perspective.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 5, 2019, 8:52 pm

This is the American that was murdered:

https://www.facebook.com/brandon.fletcher.501

That's his Facebook page.

I live nearby and I'm disgusted by it.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 5, 2019, 9:24 pm

not at all confused if this had been farang on Thai this would have been blown up everywhere and giving the defence that this happens in the villages all the time with drunk Thais dosent excuse it either when one of the top police comes out on tv and says Thais are not capable of violent acts but these acts are covered up its down right propoganda

Palmer1011

Post by Palmer1011 » March 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Hi, this is my dear friend Brandon that was stabbed. The media here in the US is not reporting this. The family doesn’t want the attention. I have tried to read the article and I can not get it to translate. I do however have a question. I see other comments saying father in-law? Where is that coming from? We were told a man in his 40’s was drunk and stabbed Brandon. Now I am confused.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 7, 2019, 10:00 am

@ Palmer1011 So sorry for your loss. This was a young man with most of this life ahead of him.

Word around the village is:

It was the girl's uncle who stabbed him. I know that conflicts with the article but Thais aren't known for their accuracy.

Some say he was a glue sniffer or alcoholic or both. I make no claims (as I don't know first hand) but just reporting what I've heard.

Return to “Udon Thani News”