Udon Thani Immigration new rules

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Udon Thani Immigration new rules

Post by vincemunday » March 4, 2019, 10:39 pm

Today I went to extend my retirement visa which probably made me one of the first to apply under the new rules. The process all ran like a well oiled machine, the new immigration officer pretty much controlled how everything worked and I've never been in and out so quickly when extending.

Documents -
Thai bank book
Letter from my Thai bank dated this morning proving I have 800,000 lodged
Yellow book
Photocopy of yellow book
Passport
Photocopies of passport pages that have stamps etc
Landing card
Copy of landing card
Three photos, although they only used one
1900 baht

I was asked for the documents pretty much as soon as I sat down, the new immigration officer sifted through them, passed them back to an assistant and within 20 minutes I was asked to sign the documents and my passport was stamped. Next I had to redo my 90 day report which took a further 5 minutes or so.

As far as I can tell, providing you have all of the documentation there's not much change if you're using the 800,000 baht deposit method, if anything it's all just a bit slicker and a lot quicker.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Immigration new rules

Post by jackspratt » March 4, 2019, 11:13 pm

I wasn't aware there were any changes to the 800k method.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 4, 2019, 11:36 pm

Just the copies the of the passport and landing card, we didn't have to do that before. Someone says on another forum that the bank letter must be dated the day you apply for the extension which mine was anyway so I can't vouch for that one way or the other.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 5, 2019, 3:16 am

No mention that the 800k had to stay for 3 months post extension and could not be drawn down to less than 400k during the year as mentioned on other threads? (AND sites)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/108184 ... on-source/

And more recently:-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1087525-800000b-when/
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 5, 2019, 7:03 am

This post was more about going through the application process, the immigration department, the new boss and the great service I got rather than the rules but my advice to everyone is to read the requirements for yourself and ignore what you read on forums, that way you might not get sent to Laos like the chap before me for thinking you know the rules because some prat in Pattaya thinks he knows better than immigration, but it's up to the individual.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 5, 2019, 7:08 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 5, 2019, 7:03 am
This post was more about going through the application process, the immigration department, the new boss and the great service I got rather than the rules but my advice to everyone is to read the requirements for yourself and ignore what you read on forums, that way you might not get sent to Laos like the chap before me for thinking you know the rules because some prat in Pattaya thinks he knows better than immigration, but it's up to the individual.
You nailed it, Vince!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 5, 2019, 7:15 am

Yup Taa very much Vinny for the blurb, as I am on the fringe of retirement age, and indeed, hurt in places where I used to play, so having a shopping list of what one needs for Immigration, is most helpful, as I have struggled with all the other threads about what one needs and doesnt need re visa requirements...

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 5, 2019, 7:28 am

Maaka just to cheer you up, the aching only gets worse and sometimes you have to walk like John Wayne for a few seconds before you can walk normally, it's quite undignified at times. EVERY time I go for an extension or do my 90 day reporting I check the latest rules, it takes a few seconds and saves the tears at immigration because a faceless jerk rot gave me nonsense advice across a forum. As of yet I've seen no official statement regarding 400,000 baht when I have to do my first 90 day report but I'll check nearer the time, by the by, it wasn't mentioned by the immigration officer with the bad neck neither, he's usually pretty good at letting you know what's what but I shall post in 90 days anyway.

And for those who didn't read the rules and are now crying in their beer, it's your fault, the rules are there in black and white so why would you blame Thai immigration for your cock up?

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » March 5, 2019, 7:37 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 4, 2019, 10:39 pm
Today I went to extend my retirement visa which probably made me one of the first to apply under the new rules. The process all ran like a well oiled machine, the new immigration officer pretty much controlled how everything worked and I've never been in and out so quickly when extending.

Documents -
Thai bank book
Letter from my Thai bank dated this morning proving I have 800,000 lodged
Yellow book
Photocopy of yellow book
Passport
Photocopies of passport pages that have stamps etc
Landing card
Copy of landing card
Three photos, although they only used one
1900 baht

I was asked for the documents pretty much as soon as I sat down, the new immigration officer sifted through them, passed them back to an assistant and within 20 minutes I was asked to sign the documents and my passport was stamped. Next I had to redo my 90 day report which took a further 5 minutes or so.

As far as I can tell, providing you have all of the documentation there's not much change if you're using the 800,000 baht deposit method, if anything it's all just a bit slicker and a lot quicker.
Wow!
Sounds like great service.
This new immigration officer making the difference?
Voiceover for hire.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 5, 2019, 7:45 am

I think that he really is, I saw people getting their 100 baht change too! Because the requirements are so clearly defined now there is less ambiguity at what's acceptable and what isn't, it's just speeding everything up, even the chap who knew better than immigration because he'd been here for years was in and out in record time.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 5, 2019, 7:57 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 4, 2019, 11:36 pm
Just the copies the of the passport and landing card, we didn't have to do that before. Someone says on another forum that the bank letter must be dated the day you apply for the extension which mine was anyway so I can't vouch for that one way or the other.
The first time I went for a renewal I was sent back to the bank to get the letter redone because it wasn't dated on the day of my application. Now on renewal day the first visit is always the bank for the letter.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 5, 2019, 8:05 am

"everyone is to read the requirements for yourself and ignore what you read on forums"

I understand Vince was reporting on his experience but as he states read and understand the rules, I was asking if this was mentioned during his process and as he appears to know the rules can he clarify?:-

Effective March 1st
Paragraph (4) of --- Order of the Royal Thai Police No35/2561 dated Jan 2019

There is an official translation posted on TV which I don't think I'm supposed to place a link to or attach?

There is a grey area where no one (that I know of), including moderators at ThaiVisa, seems to know if this applies to ones 1st extension or ALL extensions based on the 800K rule.
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on March 5, 2019, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 5, 2019, 8:10 am

No it wasn't mentioned by the guy with the bad neck who does the 90 day reporting and he is usually really good and I would have expected him to mention it if it was law but he didn't so my guess is it's just another piece of horse$hit coming out of another forum, BUT, I will read the government website nearer the time and make sure as indeed should everyone, I will post again on this matter in 90 days.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 5, 2019, 8:35 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 5, 2019, 8:05 am

Effective March 1st
Paragraph (4) of --- Order of the Royal Thai Police No35/2561 dated Jan 2019

There is an official translation posted on TV which I don't think I'm supposed to place a link to or attach?

There is a grey area where no one (that I know of), including moderators at ThaiVisa, seems to know if this applies to ones 1st extension or ALL extensions based on the 800K rule.
I have heard of no grey area that applies to the 800k rule, Apart from the seasoning time before, but 3 months is safe.

Th police order you mention has no effect on current renewals. It will effect future renewals.

AFAIR The text has been posted here.

I know of no restrictions on linking to TV or posting the translations.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 5, 2019, 8:49 am

Great post, Thanks Vince.

Looking forward to a report from someone applying with 65K monthly deposits.
UFF DA!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 5, 2019, 8:55 am

And what about the Income Letter ( from embassies) approach ? Did anyone recently go that route ? Is it an available option ?

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » March 5, 2019, 9:55 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 5, 2019, 8:10 am
No it wasn't mentioned by the guy with the bad neck who does the 90 day reporting and he is usually really good and I would have expected him to mention it if it was law but he didn't so my guess is it's just another piece of horse$hit coming out of another forum, BUT, I will read the government website nearer the time and make sure as indeed should everyone, I will post again on this matter in 90 days.
Totally agree regarding the guy with the bad neck who does the 90 day reporting.He has always been very helpful and proactive with his information and help.I have often witnessed him assist others whilst waiting in line.
Voiceover for hire.

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » March 5, 2019, 10:07 am

vincemunday wrote:
Which officer is he/she, Vince? Which desk?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 5, 2019, 10:21 am

the-monk wrote:
March 5, 2019, 8:55 am
And what about the Income Letter ( from embassies) approach ? Did anyone recently go that route ? Is it an available option ?
If you are from one of the 4 under and have the letter it is valid for 6 months.

If you are not British, American, Australian or Danish there is no change.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 5, 2019, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 5, 2019, 10:29 am

daithic wrote:
March 5, 2019, 10:07 am
vincemunday wrote:
Which officer is he/she, Vince? Which desk?
I seem to think his number was 410084 named Proewchai or similar, tall slim chap, quite young and he sat pretty square in the middle of the seating area calling people over as they arrived, I liked the previous boss he was a very nice guy but this one is really friendly and ultra efficient, my experience this time was the best ever, extension and 90 day report in under 30 minutes, exceptional.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”