Strawberry Fields

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Strawberry Fields

Post by parrot » February 13, 2019, 2:21 pm

Not so many years ago, if you bought a Thai strawberry, you were probably going to be disappointed......not sweet at all and chewy in a bad sort of way. But this year, we've bought Thai strawberries that were similarly small, but much sweeter than previously and no longer chewy. Tops and Jingjai markets are selling what looks to be about pound packs of strawberries for 69 Baht. We bought 3 packs two days ago and another 3 today. We wash them thoroughly, then cut them up into quarters, add a bit of sugar, and let them set in the fridge overnight. While you're in Central, go up to the fourth floor and buy a 4 pack of round pound cakes at the S&P bakery/restaurant. The mix makes excellent strawberry shortcake.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Strawberry Fields

Post by parrot » February 13, 2019, 7:34 pm

Can't say I've ever had strawberry shortcake in Thailand before this
Attachments
line_1550061090637.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 13, 2019, 9:12 pm

In Old Tesco yesterday packs of Royal Project Strawberries (from Chiang Mai) usually B89 reduced to B26.75

Having done the "pick your own" thing in Chaing Mai years ago I was not too impressed by the taste so was a bit dubious. Eventually thought that at that price even if I end up making jam or a pie its a good deal so took three punnets and was really surprised sweet juicy not bruised (wish i'd taken a couple more packs :evil: )

Can only assume that they must have had a very good growing season this year and not had to force them :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 12, 2019, 7:21 pm

I thought for sure that strawberry season would be over.....but we found loads at 69 Baht per pack at Jingjai market today. Some enterprising farmer must have broken the code on growing strawberries in Thailand as they're far better than previous years. I'll agree that they're not as big or red as those grown in Poteet, TX or Salinas, CA.....but this is Thailand. I'm just grateful to be able to eat good strawberries in the tropics!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

Forever

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » March 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

Bought some in Royal Project shop last week, 3 for 100bht, quite nice but going off after just 2 days, in fridge as well . the ones in Tops 69bht for 500g pack are much nicer and keep longer, if I don't eat them first.
DSCN3289.JPG
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 13, 2019, 4:29 pm

Old Grumpy,

My missus from another life used to freeze the strawberries when in season and pulled em out when required. The kids loved them. We always had strawberries and mangoes in the freezer.
They keep for months.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Barney wrote:
March 13, 2019, 4:29 pm
Old Grumpy,

My missus from another life used to freeze the strawberries when in season and pulled em out when required. The kids loved them. We always had strawberries and mangoes in the freezer.
They keep for months.
You have to be kidding, I cant think of any fruit less suited to freezing [-X

You freeze beautiful firm sweet strawberries and get a defrosted mush of soft fruit that is only suitable to make into jam or add to a Rumtopf . :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k nah, not enough red fruit in Udon :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 13, 2019, 8:16 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
Barney wrote:
March 13, 2019, 4:29 pm
Old Grumpy,

They keep for months.
You have to be kidding, I cant think of any fruit less suited to freezing [-X

You freeze beautiful firm sweet strawberries and get a defrosted mush of soft fruit that is only suitable to make into jam or add to a Rumtopf . :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k nah, not enough red fruit in Udon :lol:
I’ll take your point but no not kidding.
Have you trialled it.
When there’s a seasonal glut on of different fruits in Aussie mums learn to be thrifty and stock up and sometimes freeze, it’s easy to do. Perhaps the English children were spoilt with year round constant firm delicious tasting tropical type fruit. My boys would devour anything healthy their mum dished up. Especially fruit salad on a hot day. Me to for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 13, 2019, 8:36 pm

Strawberries were always seasonal in Essex we use to have a max of 2 trips to the local strawberry fields at Tiptree (home of the Tiptree jams sold in Udon) each year and pick 20 - 30lbs a trip from the PYO fields.
Everyone made attempts to freeze them and nobody succeeded in getting good results as we could not "speed freeze" in a home freezer. I'm not saying you cant freeze them, just that the defrosted output is nothing like what had been frozen

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 14, 2019, 9:43 am

Ive got a bag of frozen strawberries in my freezer , if anyone wants them .
Been there for months . Was going to us them in a triffle , but they are tasteless mush .

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » March 14, 2019, 3:50 pm

I have frozen strawberries quite successfully in the past, I found the secret to be freeze them individually on a sheet before packing them in the freezer, if you just put them in a container all together they will become one sticky mess when thawed. a few ideas here .http://www.simplebites.net/four-simple- ... awberries/
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 14, 2019, 9:51 pm

Tried it ........ useless

I think its the speed of the freezing thats the problem. As they slowly freeze the liquid and solid parts of the centre change their consistency. Rasberries/blackberries etc also have the problem, but nowhere near as bad as strawberries.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”