Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 3387
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by tamada » March 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Zidane wrote:
March 14, 2019, 1:28 pm
Yeah,looks like 2 out of Norwich,Leeds and Sheffield United for automatic promotion.
Sheffield United have surprised me a bit by hanging in there.....just 9 games to go now.

Norwich and Sheffield United for the automatic promotion places and West Brom to beat Leeds in the play off final.
Not everyone on the forum would be happy with that. :D
The Baggies deserve to stay put, if only for their shameful sacking of Darren Moore last Sunday. He stopped their early Championship free-fall after the hopelessly inept mismanagement of Pulis then Pardew conspired to end their 8-year joust in the EPL. They've been 4th placed or better for the past 18 weeks or so. Yeah... I guess he's really sh!t.

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 14, 2019, 3:16 pm

An interesting video about Championship finances of each club. it's a bit long, about 1 hour 20 minutes, but well worth watching. You even get to hear the words 'Leeds United' and 'model of financial stability' in the same sentence. :shock:
It's done by a guy who does a fantastic blog about all matters Championship.

[youtube]6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s[/youtube]

if that doesn't work, here's the full link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 14, 2019, 3:23 pm

tamada wrote:
March 14, 2019, 2:35 pm
Zidane wrote:
March 14, 2019, 1:28 pm
Yeah,looks like 2 out of Norwich,Leeds and Sheffield United for automatic promotion.
Sheffield United have surprised me a bit by hanging in there.....just 9 games to go now.

Norwich and Sheffield United for the automatic promotion places and West Brom to beat Leeds in the play off final.
Not everyone on the forum would be happy with that. :D
The Baggies deserve to stay put, if only for their shameful sacking of Darren Moore last Sunday. He stopped their early Championship free-fall after the hopelessly inept mismanagement of Pulis then Pardew conspired to end their 8-year joust in the EPL. They've been 4th placed or better for the past 18 weeks or so. Yeah... I guess he's really sh!t.
Have to agree about West Brom, Tam. Disgraceful sacking.

And Zid; put the kettle on, we'll be round about quarter past August. :D

MOT

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 223
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by samster » March 14, 2019, 7:33 pm

I did want NCFC to be promoted with the mighty LUFC but, having watched their last 2 home games, I would rather it be SUFC. Any team that feels the need to play muzak to create atmosphere when they score a goal deserves to play in the Conference.

Got me thinking. How many football clubs actually have a proper identity these days as football clubs for the true fans. In my opinion, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Millwall. You could add the Mancs, WHU and Chelsea but, it's a stretch.

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 14, 2019, 8:52 pm

Thaiguzzi, staying beneath the radar, may or may not want to respond to this. :lol: :lol:

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 407
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by thaiguzzi » March 15, 2019, 4:54 pm

Adhoc wrote:
March 14, 2019, 3:16 pm
An interesting video about Championship finances of each club. it's a bit long, about 1 hour 20 minutes, but well worth watching. You even get to hear the words 'Leeds United' and 'model of financial stability' in the same sentence. :shock:
It's done by a guy who does a fantastic blog about all matters Championship.

[youtube]6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s[/youtube]

if that doesn't work, here's the full link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s
Did'nt Leeds buy their very own stadium back a couple of years ago?
ie they actually sold their own stadium once!
And i read somewhere the new owner said he may have to sell the club if they are not promoted this year.
Doesn't sound like a "model of financial stability" to me.
Still each to their own.
As for the numpty remarking about Carrow Road and atmosphere - best i don't go there, stay under the radar till the end of the season.
What i will say, unlike a lot of clubs with a "proper identity", is the place is sold out, year after year, regardless of what division we are in, getting considerably better gates than the northern & midlands clubs with bigger stadia, but emptier and hence less full with a SMALLER attendance.
Oh and plenty of women & kids because its always been a family club.
And a nice city with two cathedrals, nice shops, pleasant people in a nice part of the country, a lack of deprivation, a lack of mosques, and, er, racial problems, and generally not a shithole like er..............
Have a nice day
OTBC.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 223
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by samster » March 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Ooh, "numpty", I'm wounded.

Not going to get personal like you but, I am entitled to my opinion and that is that I have a dislike of happy clappy clubs epitomised by the likes of Reading, Norwich and Fulham

By all means, wait 'til the end of the season my "under the radar" friend but, if NCFC go up they will just be another Bournemouth/Fulham/Hudds/Burnley etc. Stay down or go up we will be Leeds - a club with an identity and real fans that 99% of the country envy.

Interesting that NCFC apparently welcomes women and children by the way but the city as a whole dislikes muslims. I guess it's an identity of sorts. What about homosexuals? I suppose having Stephen Fry on the board fulfills your quota?

"On The Ball City", the racist club with the rainbow flag

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 407
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by thaiguzzi » March 15, 2019, 9:22 pm

samster wrote:
March 15, 2019, 6:00 pm
Ooh, "numpty", I'm wounded.

Not going to get personal like you but, I am entitled to my opinion and that is that I have a dislike of happy clappy clubs epitomised by the likes of Reading, Norwich and Fulham

By all means, wait 'til the end of the season my "under the radar" friend but, if NCFC go up they will just be another Bournemouth/Fulham/Hudds/Burnley etc. Stay down or go up we will be Leeds - a club with an identity and real fans that 99% of the country envy.

Interesting that NCFC apparently welcomes women and children by the way but the city as a whole dislikes muslims. I guess it's an identity of sorts. What about homosexuals? I suppose having Stephen Fry on the board fulfills your quota?

"On The Ball City", the racist club with the rainbow flag
Yep, you got the identity right.
Same identity since the early 70's - Dirty Leeds. Filthy Cheating Leeds.
I was 10 y/o when we were camping and the FA Cup was on - 1970. Chelsea against - you guessed it. Guess again which side i supported.
And my Dad's side of the family still all live in Leeds.
Bit of a shithole but has got some nice bits in the city centre.
Will be there next month for a couple of days.
Have to drive past Elland Rd to get in.
I'll say hello.
My car will have the rainbow flag fluttering from the ariel then.
OTBC.

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 16, 2019, 9:12 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
March 15, 2019, 9:22 pm
Same identity since the early 70's - Dirty Leeds. Filthy Cheating Leeds.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sounding bitter and twisted in any way, Thaiguzzi gives his opinion.

Leeds United, hated because rated. \:D/

MOT

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 16, 2019, 9:55 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
March 15, 2019, 4:54 pm
Adhoc wrote:
March 14, 2019, 3:16 pm
An interesting video about Championship finances of each club. it's a bit long, about 1 hour 20 minutes, but well worth watching. You even get to hear the words 'Leeds United' and 'model of financial stability' in the same sentence. :shock:
It's done by a guy who does a fantastic blog about all matters Championship.

[youtube]6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s[/youtube]

if that doesn't work, here's the full link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECJwncXteQ&t=12s
Did'nt Leeds buy their very own stadium back a couple of years ago?
ie they actually sold their own stadium once!
And i read somewhere the new owner said he may have to sell the club if they are not promoted this year.
Doesn't sound like a "model of financial stability" to me.
Still each to their own.
It is correct that Leeds bought the ground back a couple of years ago after it was sold by Ken Bates some years previously.
Leeds are still paying the price of stupid spending by a previous owner, Peter Ridsdale.
The guy in the video, a professor who lectures on football finances at Liverpool university, is taking about the current situation not what happened in the past.
Still I suppose some concepts are difficult to grasp.
Enjoy your day.

MOT

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 407
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by thaiguzzi » March 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

Adhoc wrote:
March 16, 2019, 9:12 am
thaiguzzi wrote:
March 15, 2019, 9:22 pm
Same identity since the early 70's - Dirty Leeds. Filthy Cheating Leeds.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sounding bitter and twisted in any way, Thaiguzzi gives his opinion.

Leeds United, hated because rated. \:D/

MOT
Yeah, came across as a bit harsh.
Apologies - best of luck.
I also forgot to mention about the beauty of the county of Yorkshire once you're 10 minutes out of the city outskirts.
Stunning part of England.
Nice people.
Love it.

As for the other guy who dislikes clubs like Fulham?
Fulham & Palace may have 25k gates, but some of the best atmosphere at ay London clubs.
As for having a go at Huddersfield & Burnley - how many leagues and cups have these old, established, famous teams won?
And Bournemouth? Great football in the 21st century, but they not worthy?
The guy needs to get his priorities right re football in general.
What did Leeds do before Revie in the mid 60's? Not a lot...

Edit,
also disagree with this play-offs bullshIt, just another tv company money making excercise.
The best 3 consistently this year have been LUFC, SUFC, and NCFC in no particular order.
The top 3 should be promoted.
There are no play-offs for 3rd from bottom to be demoted....

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 223
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by samster » March 16, 2019, 1:34 pm

Don't think he likes me Adhoc. I love a reasoned debate though

What does "getting my priorities right" mean exactly?

I will say again that I hate muzak being played after a goal in the same way that I hate those Clapper things that Leicester fans are given.

Home gates are not the sole reflection of the passion of support. Leeds away support fills every ground and gives the game an atmosphere. I have been to Elland Road and seen teams like Norwich bring 2 men and a dog. That, in my opinion, is what sets teams like Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool apart. I cant see any of these clubs using artificial means to generate an atmosphere

I posed the question earlier as to who was still a proper football club as a genuine one.

Take West Ham for example. Upton Park used to fill you with dread and anticipation as an away fan and the team and their supporters had a true and discernible identity. It seems to me that, since they moved to the new stadium, all I hear is negativity and whining.

As far as teams like Citeh and Chelski are concerned, same comments apply following the injection of big bucks. It genuinely, breaks my heart to see empty seats at the City of Manc stadium. Their fans have lost their passion as they have got conditioned to success and they have attracted glory hunting spectators who have no real feel for the Club

I read an article recently about why LUFC are hated and, it concluded that it was envy. The envy stemmed from the fact that, deep down, everyone wants to be associated with what it means to be a Leeds fan. Maybe that applies to you TG, so, go on put on that Leeds scarf at 7.30 tonight because win, lose or draw, you will wake up tomorrow with a pride and passion that you will never feel supporting the rainbow club :D

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 16, 2019, 3:17 pm

Anyway, the actual football. A massive game at Elland Road this evening, 19:30 Thai.
My thoughts, for Sheffield it's a must win game, for Leeds it's a don't lose.
I fancy Leeds just to edge it by the odd goal.
Question; if you're a Norwich fan, what result do you want? If I was, I would want Leeds to win because that would make the 1st to 3rd gap 7 points, assuming Norwich win today. Leeds would stay only 2 points back. But finish 1st or 2nd, do you really care?

Come on you mighty whites.
MOT

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 407
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by thaiguzzi » March 16, 2019, 8:53 pm

Quote
"I have been to Elland Road and seen teams like Norwich bring 2 men and a dog".
Wow.
They made a helluva lot of noise when they won 3-0 at yours recently for two blokes and a pet then....
Is that why Millwall had to open both tiers of their away end instead of just the one,when NCFC recently visited, because they brought 3,600 with them?
Anyway, i'm outta here, i try and avoid posting too much on this forum.
Staying under the radar....
Best of luck boys.
Quote
"Question; if you're a Norwich fan, what result do you want? If I was, I would want Leeds to win because that would make the 1st to 3rd gap 7 points, assuming Norwich win today. Leeds would stay only 2 points back. But finish 1st or 2nd, do you really care?"
It's a good question and has been asked locally in Norwich, with a similar answer to what you have given.
I personally don't care, but i want us to finish as Champions and as i've said before, whoever finishes 2nd & 3rd to get promoted.
Have a nice day.
(still 0-0....)

User avatar
Adhoc
udonmap.com
Posts: 384
Joined: February 21, 2009, 11:28 am

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by Adhoc » March 17, 2019, 9:56 am

To say I'm gutted after that result is an understatement. But it's what happens if you don't take your chances, one defensive mistake costs you.
A 2 week break before the next games. 8 games to go, still fighting.

MOT

Post Reply

Return to “World Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests