Does anyone of you no the backgroud story behind..

General Udon Thani topics only!
DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Does anyone of you no the backgroud story behind..

Post by DuiDui49 » March 20, 2019, 9:00 am

...the two set amounts...800.000 for retirement and the 400.000 for Marriage VISA.

Thank you for reading,have a great day everyone..:-)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Does anyone of you no the backgroud story behind..

Post by Doodoo » March 20, 2019, 9:17 am

What kind of story ?

The government says to apply/renew for Retirement you must have 800,000 in an account in your name only for 2 or 3 month before applying for a retirement (2 or 3has changed back and forth so go with 3 ) Then you walk into your Bank on day of renewal and get a letter confirming amount in account (cost 200 baht)

400,000 Marriage I dont do so I wont comment

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 20, 2019, 9:38 am

The requirements were increased well over a decade ago, along with the renewal fees. My bowl of noodle soup has gone up several times in that time.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 20, 2019, 9:53 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
March 20, 2019, 9:00 am
...the two set amounts...800.000 for retirement and the 400.000 for Marriage VISA.

Thank you for reading,have a great day everyone..:-)
How did they comeup to those two amounts,why not lets say 1.5--->800.000.I read somewere that if you had lived here since 1998 i think it was,you only have to show 200.000Bath...for Retirement VISA.So what's the story behind those set amounts.

"GRANDFATHER RULE

Stunningly, under the new order the old provisions that people who have been living in Thailand for continually on a retirement visa since before Oct 21, 1998 (**See correction below) can still apply under the exact same conditions that they were first approved.

Under this “grandfather rule”, applicants who are over 60 still only need to show that they either have B200,000 in a Thai bank, or receive at least B20,000 income per month.So those people hasen't been effected buy the Strong Bath and that we are ALL getting LESS for our money today..don't think so.

Likewise, applicants under the same grandfather rule who are 55-60 years old can apply showing that they have B500,000 in Thai bank account or an income of B50,000 a month.

"For these people there is no option to provide a combination of monies to reach any special target, Col Acheep explained.

They must have the money in the bank or receive the required monthly income; they cannot add them together to try and reach any special figure, he said.

However, there is no minimum balance required to be kept in a Thai bank account, he noted".

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-t ... W8MBKwp.99

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 20, 2019, 10:17 am

The story Duidui
is
"So what's the story behind those set amounts."

800,000 for Retirement
400,000 for Marriage

That's the story you will get from Readers here. If you want a different one I would suggest you contact the Immigration Department and ask

I don't know of any story as to how they came up with it nor do I care. They say that amount or don't stay I say OK

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 20, 2019, 10:19 am

[/quote]

How did they comeup to those two amounts

[/quote]

Who knows and more importantly, why does it matter.

One just follows the rules at the time and get on with life.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 20, 2019, 10:19 am

Doodoo wrote:
March 20, 2019, 10:17 am
The story Duidui
is
"So what's the story behind those set amounts."

800,000 for Retirement
400,000 for Marriage

That's the story you will get from Readers here. If you want a different one I would suggest you contact the Immigration Department and ask

I don't know of any story as to how they came up with it nor do I care. They say that amount or don't stay I say OK
Thanks for your replye.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 20, 2019, 10:26 am

bluejets wrote:
March 20, 2019, 10:19 am
How did they comeup to those two amounts

[/quote]

Who knows and more importantly, why does it matter.

One just follows the rules at the time and get on with life.
[/quote]

Jepp,been living here fulltime for 17 years and alot have change me think.But the 800-400.000 hasen't change for al long time..and it's not getting cheaper to live here,right.I try to follow the rules but sometime i'm just curious of the background story.The set amounts have to be calculated and set in place for some reason,they didn't just pick two numbers out of their hats i guess...or maybe ;-)

Thanks anyway for your replye..:-)

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » March 20, 2019, 10:43 am

antwhere else in the world I would agree with your thinking but being Thailand it is quite possible they just dreamt the numbers I mean lets face it raising a family costs more than being retired but you only need half the money I guess they say on a marrige or dependancy visa you can still work but the perameters are so tight its layghable

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 20, 2019, 12:37 pm

MusicalBars wrote:
March 20, 2019, 10:43 am
antwhere else in the world I would agree with your thinking but being Thailand it is quite possible they just dreamt the numbers I mean lets face it raising a family costs more than being retired but you only need half the money I guess they say on a marrige or dependancy visa you can still work but the perameters are so tight its layghable
Atleast we have someone think like me,but like you say,thinking logical is maybe not one of the Thai's strong points.I totally agree,in my thinking i think it's moore expensive to be married then beeing "singel".Atleast when we can't merge salarys/income when are married..but only me thinking quiet here.

Thanks for your answer,have a great day :-)

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 20, 2019, 9:02 pm

DuiDui, I totally understand why you asked the question, for I have wondered the same thing ever since I came here. It's just the nature of some people to be curious about these kinds of things while others would prefer to make flippant remarks, but that is just their nature as well, so don't let it bother you. If you're looking for logic and reason behind these financial parameters for extensions of stay...there isn't any if viewed through the lens of a Western perspective. What I do know is that those in power who make these rules couldn't possibly understand the mind of a Westerner and his spending habits, no more than we can understand theirs. If I'm guessing I'd say that perhaps they would consider a farang married to a Thai would have a more stable lifestyle with his wife in control of the finances, so there would be less likelihood of his living a frivolous life requiring more income. On the other hand they probably view a retired farang as more often than not a single guy who is living on the edge and throwing his money away on booze and whoremongering, and that requires more money. Living that kind of life would also pose a greater risk of winding up in the hospital with a huge bill to pay. The reality is that just isn't true at all because many of us on retirement extensions are well adjusted married guys who live very frugal and self-controlled lives. It's probably just indicative of their twisted attitudes towards us. Just my 2 cents worth!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 21, 2019, 7:02 am

I'm guessing that they cut some slack on the financial requirements for marriage visas in order to provide some consideration for the Thai Nationals whose lifestyles benefit from that marriage -- immediate and extended family.

However, some phony marriages have also created more scrutiny for everyone in that category. It's easy to prove legitimacy though.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » March 21, 2019, 7:18 am

Immigration do not now require the letter from the Bank issued on the day of application. An updated (day of application) "Fixed Account Passbook" if that is where your 800K is held indicating that it has been there during the previous 3 months is sufficient.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 21, 2019, 7:19 am

semperfiguy wrote:
March 20, 2019, 9:02 pm
DuiDui, I totally understand why you asked the question, for I have wondered the same thing ever since I came here. It's just the nature of some people to be curious about these kinds of things while others would prefer to make flippant remarks, but that is just their nature as well, so don't let it bother you. If you're looking for logic and reason behind these financial parameters for extensions of stay...there isn't any if viewed through the lens of a Western perspective. What I do know is that those in power who make these rules couldn't possibly understand the mind of a Westerner and his spending habits, no more than we can understand theirs. If I'm guessing I'd say that perhaps they would consider a farang married to a Thai would have a more stable lifestyle with his wife in control of the finances, so there would be less likelihood of his living a frivolous life requiring more income. On the other hand they probably view a retired farang as more often than not a single guy who is living on the edge and throwing his money away on booze and whoremongering, and that requires more money. Living that kind of life would also pose a greater risk of winding up in the hospital with a huge bill to pay. The reality is that just isn't true at all because many of us on retirement extensions are well adjusted married guys who live very frugal and self-controlled lives. It's probably just indicative of their twisted attitudes towards us. Just my 2 cents worth!
God morning brother in faith,and thanks for your replye sir.For myself i can only tell that living since 10 + years a marriage man i can only say that i might spend no more then maximum 8000Bth a month on food (make my own)maybe a couple of beers in a month.I don't smoke or drink,no bars and i usually treat myself maybe once a month with either a burger or Pizza bought outside.But that's me..Good to have ypou onboard my brother,take care now..stay healthy and strong in your faith.God bless.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 21, 2019, 7:21 am

Lone Star wrote:
March 21, 2019, 7:02 am
I'm guessing that they cut some slack on the financial requirements for marriage visas in order to provide some consideration for the Thai Nationals whose lifestyles benefit from that marriage -- immediate and extended family.

However, some phony marriages have also created more scrutiny for everyone in that category. It's easy to prove legitimacy though.
God morning Mr.Mark,and thanks for your input.
Have a great day sir.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » March 21, 2019, 1:32 pm

No should be Know!!!!!!!!!!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2019, 3:34 pm

goodison wrote:
March 21, 2019, 7:18 am
Immigration do not now require the letter from the Bank issued on the day of application. An updated (day of application) "Fixed Account Passbook" if that is where your 800K is held indicating that it has been there during the previous 3 months is sufficient.
Where did you get that information? Do you have it in writing? If confirmed it is a significant change.

From the old marriage guidance so 2 months
IMG_5810.JPG
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 21, 2019, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 21, 2019, 3:34 pm
goodison wrote:
Where did you get that information? Do you have it in writing? If confirmed it is a significant change.
It would be great.

It could be happening in some Immigration offices. A riding friend in Nakhon Sawan needs the letter at that office, but it can be 2 or 3 days old. Doesn't have to be dated same day.

That would also be great if they did it here.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2019, 9:59 pm

Lone Star wrote:
March 21, 2019, 3:38 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 21, 2019, 3:34 pm
goodison wrote:
It would be great.

It could be happening in some Immigration offices. A riding friend in Nakhon Sawan needs the letter at that office, but it can be 2 or 3 days old. Doesn't have to be dated same day.

That would also be great if they did it here.
I agree on that point and it could happen, however there is no backup to the story so far so I will not be taking the risk that it isn't true.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » March 22, 2019, 2:12 am

To avoid this req of 37 K Aus $ in Thai bank, it is far cheaper to for me to fly back to Aus n get an OA-M visa from Thai emb in Canberra as I did 18 months ago...I av also had an extension of 12 months till Oct 30th....Cheers, Mudguard

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”