Koh Samui

General Udon Thani topics only!
bluejets
udonmap.com

Koh Samui

Post by bluejets » April 1, 2019, 4:42 pm

Friends of mine are heading over to Koh Samui and apparently staying at Amera Villas for a couple of days.
I personally could think of a few other places to go, not really my cup of tea BUT......heard getting a taxi up the mountain can be a costly exercise.

Anyone had the experience?

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: Koh Samui

Post by Lone Star » April 1, 2019, 4:48 pm

bluejets wrote:
April 1, 2019, 4:42 pm
Friends of mine are heading over to Koh Samui and apparently staying at Amera Villas for a couple of days.
I personally could think of a few other places to go, not really my cup of tea BUT......heard getting a taxi up the mountain can be a costly exercise.

Anyone had the experience?
I wasn't impressed overall and traffic was insane. One main road around the island. Ferry ride to get there is 10-12 km an hour . . . about 90 minute ride.

I can say I've been there. Didn't lose anything. Probably won't return.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 1, 2019, 5:10 pm

Can't answer about taxis, but we stayed at the White Palm Villas on the northern tip of Samui in December. The condo manager arranged a nice rental car for 1000 Baht a day, big enough for 4 adults. I did the driving......and found navigating easy.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 1, 2019, 5:57 pm

mmm...had a bit of a gork at the Google map view and it seemed way too far from everything for me.
Thanks.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » April 1, 2019, 8:37 pm

Id go somewhere else, Samui is overcooked as a tourist spot these days.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 1, 2019, 9:45 pm

I spent about 6 weeks there while supervising some offshore stuff nearby. The client was picking up most of the tab but I was quite happy when the job was over. Subsequently did a couple of weekend trips there when working in KL where it was a toss up between Phuket and Samui since Langkawi was a bit of a damp squib. That was about 10 years ago so it's probably totally crap now.

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Post by johanthomsen » April 5, 2019, 1:03 am

I have been on Samui 3 times, and I can just say from my experience that I am NEVER going to rent a villa up in the hills again.. The most of them are extremely steep, and there are many taxi´s that refuse to drive up some of them...

The prices on Samui are also quite high compared to many other places around Thailand (not so strange with all the tourists) and the taxi´s are charging very high... If you can drive, then you are much better of and are going to have a much better holiday... Just try to stay away from Chaweng if you want a relaxing holiday...
Many like Chaweng for the nightlife and drinking but there is not so much else to do there... Some of the beaches around the island are quite nice though...
Just make sure that if you rent a villa, then check if it has a pool that the pool gets the sunshine during the daytime, otherwise it can be quite cold to enjoy.. I personally like it much better when the sun has been heating the pool during the sunshine hours :)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”