learning the thai language

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » April 11, 2019, 6:56 pm

The three-way intersection at kilo 8, with a new PTT station just past it, is unique in Udon. As you're approaching Udon from Nongwahsaw, at a normal traffic light, you'd either stop at the red light or go at the green. But at this light......you have the option of staying left and going through the intersection.....even when the light is red. So, for me, the sign equates to....keep left and pass through anytime.

There are a few other 3 way intersections....similar: the 3 way at UD-town that allows you to bypass the light and continue on toward AEK. The 3 way just past Makkaeng school allows you to do the same.

But the light at kilo 8 is the only one where I've seen a sign like the one I posted.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 11, 2019, 9:25 pm

they could easily make the 3 way at the airport turnoff coming east from Nong Wau Sau have a similar straight through lane.. I'm surprised they haven't done it... There are a number of other 3 way intersections in town that could benefit from it too..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 14, 2019, 10:42 am

For those of you who show bones through your skin, you wife might refer to the depression in your collar bone area as ไหปลาร้า. Sound familiar??

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » April 14, 2019, 11:29 am

A while back my wife had a slight injury to her right clavicle, not broken or cracked but quite painful. We went to see Dr. Chatchi on Si Suk Rd. and he took care of the problem. It was then that I learned that the Thai word for clavicle was gra duuk hai bplaa raa. I assumed it must have to do with the rim of the jar used in making bplaa raa.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » April 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

These are the jars that made me think they may have given the name to the clavicle. The rim looks a bit like a collarbone. That's just my take on it though.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

ไห is the barrel. My wife threatens to fill up the depression in my collarbone with fermented fish.....although I doubt she'd ever waste it on such a thing.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

We've parked next to this top-up machine many times.....I've always assumed the people who use it are just topping up their phones.
It's another one of those situational awareness reasons for learning how to read Thai
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 27, 2019, 1:58 pm

The language never ceases to amaze me. (Excuse me for the wire fur ball.)
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 27, 2019, 2:00 pm

i before e except after c. There are similar tricks for the Thai language. Does anyone know the code for the months of the year?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 28, 2019, 10:31 pm

yon 30 days, kom 31.. February a stand alone with no yon or kom
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

"yon 30 days, kom 31.. February a stand alone with no yon or kom"

I'm a fan of rules like i before e except after c and other tools to help learn a language. But in all my Thai books and few Thai teachers, none ever taught me things like that. I'd usually be in the middle of a Thai lesson when a light bulb would go on and I'd realize the learning hint. Another spelling hint on months besides the one that FrazeeDK points out:
the syllable before the final yon/kom/pahn are all long vowel า and most all the syllables preceeding that are short (except: มีนาคม and เมษายน)

In the movie photo above (at Central), the name of the movie is ออนซอนเด.......yet another example of the English language infiltration

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » April 29, 2019, 2:32 pm

I thought it was On Sunday but surely it would have been spelt ซันเด.
I give up put me out of my misery :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 29, 2019, 3:00 pm

Easy there, Chuchi. If things were that easy all the road signs for เลย would say Leeuy!

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » April 29, 2019, 3:04 pm

parrot wrote:
April 29, 2019, 3:00 pm
Easy there, Chuchi. If things were that easy all the road signs for เลย would say Leeuy!
:D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 29, 2019, 3:45 pm

A Thai friend says it's Isaan:

It basically means: lovely, amazing, so cute..............nothing to do with Sunday. So sorry about that! I've got sooooo much to learn

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » April 29, 2019, 5:59 pm

parrot wrote:
April 29, 2019, 3:45 pm
A Thai friend says it's Isaan:

It basically means: lovely, amazing, so cute..............nothing to do with Sunday. So sorry about that! I've got sooooo much to learn
So have I :confused:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 30, 2019, 2:28 pm

A week or so ago our dog had a toenail removed.....she had snagged it on something and the vet decided it was best to pull it out. No problems. Today, over our morning coffee, my wife lamented that our dog was no longer ครบ 32. When my wife says it, she doesn't pronounce the ร. I asked what that meant.....she said that our dog was no longer complete.......sort of like 10 little fingers, 10 little toes, two little eyes, and one little nose. I wanted to know more......asked how to spell the word......ค ร บ and off to google I went.
After a bit of reading, I now understand why, on the morning after my mother-in-law's cremation, the head monk asked me for 32 one-baht coins. He removed the ash tray from the crematorium, shaped the remains into the form of a human body, and placed the 32 coins at various points in the ashes....all the while chanting away. I never understood the significance of those 32 coins.....until today.
And it's why you might tell an expecting mother to take care of herself ให้ลูกเกิดมาครบ 32

Reason #4392

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 4, 2019, 7:43 pm

In classier restrooms, a sign like this would come with the international symbols. But in the Nongwahsaw Hospital, they've opted for the cheaper self-printed version of the Thai instructions:

As I recall, in the late 90's/early 2000's, the Army leader mandated that all military bathrooms upgrade to the western style toilet. Not long after, there was an article in the Bangkok Post about a rash of broken toilet seats.....and the military apparently neglected to instruct its recruits on the proper use of a western toilet.

I haven't seen the second line in many restrooms in Thailand. But it's reason #4591 for learning a little Thai......lest you find yourself showering in the wrong place.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » May 4, 2019, 9:48 pm

Don’t stand on the toilet bowl
Don’t wash your feet in the toilet
And if you are a golfer, ห้ามล้างของคุณลูกบอลในอ่างล้างมือ🧐😉😌😌😌😌😌😌

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 5, 2019, 11:18 am

"Don’t wash your feet in the toilet "

Just to avoid any confusion, I'd say "Don't wash your feet in the bathroom". But then, I recall reading somewhere that someone got their feet stuck in the toilet bowl. Maybe I was dreaming!

ห้ามล้างของคุณลูกบอลในอ่างล้างมือ.....probably more correct to say ห้ามล้างลูกกอล์ฟของคุณในอ่างล้างมือ, but I think people would get the idea.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (8.65 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

Return to “Society and culture”