YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 12:49 am

When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Sounds like my last job in the US. I was a process engineer and used Auto-cad to design tools. Granted that it did not have all the bells and whistles but tool vendors used it and I could simply send then files over the Internet. The company then bought a high end design program that I never learned how to use. Fortunately the guys who made the official tool drawings were able to translate my drawings to their new program. Time moves on.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 12:49 am
When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.
It is only dumbed-down MS products because you failed to learn them...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?

Natas

Post by Natas » May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

tamada wrote:
May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?
I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified nonsense was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to- ... 0680d811d4

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Oi, settle down. Some of us losers are probably proud to be in team loser. There are less desirable teams out there.

:lol:
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

Natas wrote:
May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified nonsense was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

[link to something irrelevant deleted]

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa
In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?

Oh, never mind...

If it riles you so much that you need to comment, why are you stalking my posts here? Does perpetually sucking the salty sweat from my nutsack every day of your petty internet forum subsistence give you wood or what? You have absolutely bugger all relevant or even nice to share with anyone here but as strange as that is, thanks anyway for your strangely undivided attention. My butthole tells me it really appreciates your fawning gaze but does find it all a wee bit disconcerting.

You don't know me and I don't know you but one thing I can discern with 100% certainty from your personal attacks and self aggrandizement is that despite your grand claims, you have learned nothing.

Absolutely NOTHING.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 10, 2019, 8:54 am

I find that young guys enjoy poking fun at us old farts. We have forgotten more than they now know. The funniest part is that they don't seem to understand that they too will get old. Hopefully during those years until then they will have learned at least something.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm

tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?
The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV

PS it also taught me the uses and benefits of a kill file and the pleasantness it can reintroduce.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 10, 2019, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV
Jealous of what??

I had a C-64 with a PC emulator to dial up BBS'.. I got to learn BASIC and DOS on the PC at school.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 10:23 am

After getting the first MS startup warnings of impending W7 end-of-life (support), I have dragged myself not quite kicking and screaming into Windows 10 land. I did an upgrade on one of the home computers about 4 days ago just to see if they sorted out the issues when MS offered the free upgrade to Windows 8 a few years back. That was a bit of a disaster and I rolled back within the 30-days as permitted.

Despite this upgrade taking a little over 2 hours, it took another 48-hours of behind the scenes updates before it all became functional and so far, so good.

FWIW, although the 'fast track' free option to migrate from Windows 7 to 10 was taken down last year, the option to upgrade for free is still there. My bought-and-paid-for W7 license was automatically transferred to W10 during the process. The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version. I am pretty sure that's a deliberate ploy to force me onto a subscription with Office 365.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

tamada wrote:
October 25, 2019, 10:23 am
After getting the first MS startup warnings of impending W7 end-of-life (support), I have dragged myself not quite kicking and screaming into Windows 10 land. I did an upgrade on one of the home computers about 4 days ago just to see if they sorted out the issues when MS offered the free upgrade to Windows 8 a few years back. That was a bit of a disaster and I rolled back within the 30-days as permitted.

Despite this upgrade taking a little over 2 hours, it took another 48-hours of behind the scenes updates before it all became functional and so far, so good.

FWIW, although the 'fast track' free option to migrate from Windows 7 to 10 was taken down last year, the option to upgrade for free is still there. My bought-and-paid-for W7 license was automatically transferred to W10 during the process. The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version. I am pretty sure that's a deliberate ploy to force me onto a subscription with Office 365.
If you have the media to install office 2010 it is very likely that your licence (I assume you still have the details) will work with it.

If you don’t have the media then you may have to search around for somewhere to get it from.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 25, 2019, 12:46 pm

tamada wrote:
..... The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version.....
My MS Office 2007 multiuser licence transferred automatically to Windows 10 on my desktop (shortly after Windows 10 was released).

It may be possible that you could install your version of Office if you have the original hard media (in my case, DVD discs) for it.

I got a new laptop earlier this year and Office 2007 was installed on it using my original discs and multiuser licence.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 12:57 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 25, 2019, 12:21 pm
tamada wrote:

If you have the media to install office 2010 it is very likely that your licence (I assume you still have the details) will work with it.

If you don’t have the media then you may have to search around for somewhere to get it from.
Yes, I downloaded the W10 installation iso from MS about 6 months ago when I first considered biting the upgrade bullet. Not sure if it is still available from that same source these days as MS do like to move the support goalposts around.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

JimboPSM wrote:
October 25, 2019, 12:46 pm
tamada wrote:
..... The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version.....
My MS Office 2007 multiuser licence transferred automatically to Windows 10 on my desktop (shortly after Windows 10 was released).

It may be possible that you could install your version of Office if you have the original hard media (in my case, DVD discs) for it.

I got a new laptop earlier this year and Office 2007 was installed on it using my original discs and multiuser licence.

Good to know as I still have the original Office 2010 media and license keys. As I mentioned earlier, MS may have subsequently put a more recent hook in the upgrade process to try and force people onto the Office 365 platform. A friend of mine is worried that along with the withdrawal of support for his registered Office 2007 and the nature of W10's back-door upgrades, he may awake one morning and find it 'broken'.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: You Will Be Forced to Upgrade From Win 7 to 10

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 25, 2019, 3:41 pm

Microsoft has been trying for decades to get as many people on to a subscription model as possible, so they are not going to make it obvious that your existing programs are going to continue to function with no problems. Nor are they going to publicise the ways to do that but there are enough websites where the information is available if you go looking.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 25, 2019, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » October 25, 2019, 6:50 pm

7 is the end of the line for many of a pirate nature
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 3, 2019, 10:16 am

tamada wrote:
May 4, 2019, 4:40 am
And man went to the moon on DOS 3.0

...allegedly.
Man went to the moon using an IBM water cooled 360/90 Mainframe. All of the software was developed many years before the existence of any PC, even before the adoption of the silicon chip in mainframe computers.

It initially ran DOS (Disk Operating System) that bore no relationship to Microsoft DOS, it was then upgraded to a more advanced operating system called OS/360.

Just a bit of history. I started of operating and later programming these huge beasts
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 3, 2019, 2:10 pm

Just curious why anyone would use a desktop installed version of office these days for non-professional needs. I've been using google docs for a few years now.....free, all in the cloud so you can view/edit/share your files from any location/computer. All the spreadsheet and document functions that I used to use on my older version of Office work the same in google docs.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » November 3, 2019, 2:39 pm

My experience with Microsoft Server and Client Operating Systems is that Microsoft fixes things by releasing upgrades and then you need to fix, replace or abandon all of the things that the upgrade broke. It is a cycle that they keep ongoing. You are left with no choice if you decide to stay with Microsoft because they eventually abandon previous operating systems. It keeps life challenging and interesting. On a side note. The Physics Department at the university where I worked had an RCA 110 computer that was used in the Saturn rocket launches from about 1965 through 1975. It was an Octal Based machine. It occupied the entire room and it was water-cooled and had its own power source. The intention was to use it for data collection from a 2 MEV Partial Beam Accelerator in another room. The 2 MEV Partial Beam Accelerator was located in a room built with 3 foot thick reinforced concrete walls and a 3 foot thick reinforced concrete ceiling. They did not have a lot of success with the RCA 110 and they scraped the RCA 110 computer in the mid-1980s when data collection equipment with embedded microprocessors became available. The previous post with the picture of the man with is head hung down was a common site in those days with that project. Before that the bulk of the data collection was done on ASR 30 Teletypes and they worked with the printouts.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”