A Night in Nong Khai

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ajsp9
udonmap.com

A Night in Nong Khai

Post by ajsp9 » May 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thinking of taking a drive up the highway to Nong Khai and spending the day and overnight stay there, so looking for recommendations of places to stay and eat out

747man
udonmap.com

Re: A Night in Nong Khai

Post by 747man » May 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Nong Khai Resort Opposite the Railway Station is quite Nice Has A Pool & Can get Some Food there.....

Avoid.....The Pantawee Hotel Although it may suit you If you're looking for Somewhere in Town,But Quite Old & Lots of Farang There...

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 16, 2019, 5:47 pm

If you like Thai food l would recommend Apples bar. Some hotels within s few metres of it also.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 16, 2019, 6:56 pm

These are two of my favorites in Nong Khai and both are great values for money spent.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/crysta ... &#tab-main

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/park-a ... #hotelTmpl
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 17, 2019, 10:41 am

VANA Wellness Resort near Sala Kaew Ku has the nicest pool,which you can enter from your bedroom if you stay on the ground floor,but its about 6km from the centre of town so youll need transport to get to restaurants etc.
Park and Pool Resort near the railway station is also very good (not to be confused with Nong Khai Resort nearby).It has a good pool,decent accomodation and an OK restaurant that does both western and Thai food.
The Crystal Hotel also has good rooms and is nearer the centre of town,but no pool if that is important to you.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » May 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Zidane wrote:
May 17, 2019, 10:41 am

Park and Pool Resort near the railway station is also very good (not to be confused with Nong Khai Resort nearby).It has a good pool,decent accommodation and an OK restaurant that does both western and Thai food.
The pool; accommodations; staff attitude and environment, I consider excellent . Also from 900 Baht for the rooms and from 1100 for the bungalows, both inclusive of breakfast, I have found nothing of comparable value in Nong Khai, during the many years I have been visiting the town regularly, for short holidays

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » May 18, 2019, 12:42 pm

That’s brilliant info gives me enough to work through. Thanks boys.

Only ever been for the day so fancied a night just for a change

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » June 16, 2019, 12:03 pm

had a night at the " park & pool " resort last night just to check it out , got 1 of the small villas 1020 baht room was fine but the t.v picture and sound was crap , they said having probs with the signal ( no big deal ) was hot enough to use the pool and that was very good , we had diner at hotel restaurant and everything was good apart from the " rack of ribs " they were so BLAND and tasteless .. we had about 5 different dishes plus rice and chips 3 big chang s bill was 1050 baht so that was o.k plus there was a singer on all night . all in all would go back again no problem . sorry forgot breakfast this morning was very good had a cook there to cook your eggs anyway you want them , and when checked out was told you could still use the pool all day today if you wish ...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 16, 2019, 1:35 pm

" Every singe staff member acknowledged customers, even on the path to the pool, with a smile and a swasdee khrap. Every time, every day. They've been trained and they get it. "

And there is the problem .... they've been trained and they get it :roll:

No problem with staff acknowledging that I'm there ..... it's what you tend to get in LOS more times than not, HOWEVER i'd much prefer them not to say anything than to realise that the only reason the gardener is saying hello is because he has been trained and TOLD he has to.

Just the same as EVERY ONE of the MORONS who has been TRAINED to use the phrase "Have a nice day" even when they know full well that you must be fuming mad after the service their company has just provided [-X [-X [-X

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 20, 2019, 1:55 pm

:D
stattointhailand wrote:
June 16, 2019, 1:35 pm
" Every singe staff member acknowledged customers, even on the path to the pool, with a smile and a swasdee khrap. Every time, every day. They've been trained and they get it. "
And there is the problem .... they've been trained and they get it :roll:
No problem with staff acknowledging that I'm there ..... it's what you tend to get in LOS more times than not, HOWEVER i'd much prefer them not to say anything than to realize that the only reason the gardener is saying hello is because he has been trained and TOLD he has to.
Just the same as EVERY ONE of the MORONS who has been TRAINED to use the phrase "Have a nice day" even when they know full well that you must be fuming mad after the service their company has just provided [-X [-X [-X
On topic, (which Statt's post is NOT!), I can state categorically that neither the owners nor ANY of the staff at Park & Pool are 'mentally defective' or 'very stupid, (i.e. a moron), as Statts insultingly asserts is the case. Furthermore, I have NEVER seen any guests fuming :evil: either at the service they have received or because a staff member has directed at them the expression 'Have a good day' ; which is, at worst, a well intentioned expression. Actually the vast majority of the staff do not speak a single word of English. and I certainly have never heard any of them use this expression, which it seems causes Statts such emotional distress. :cry: :evil:
My comments here, and my earlier post are based upon my upwards of twenty very satisfactory stays at Park & Pool. =D> :D When deciding whether or not to give that Resort a try, I strongly recommend members be guided in their decision by the factually based 'on topic' comments in this thread, and ignore Statto's opinions, which appear to be based on emotion rather than any factual examples of his personal experiences of staying in Nongkhai - which latter, I emphasize, is the OP's intended TOPIC of this thread, NOT the generalized views of members upon the standard of the Hospitality Services throughout Thailand.
Perhaps Statto would like to open a new thread, wherein he could give full flow to his pent up anger and emotions on that topic. :D :D :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

Perhaps if Mat actually read my post, he would see that at no point do I "insultingly assert" anything towards either the owners or staff at said resort [-X which I have, as yet not visited and so cannot pass any sort of judgement (although Mat's recommendation may lead me to stay there the next time I visit the area.)

My comments were in fact to do with the sentence that I quoted, that is, inferring that all staff at resorts should be trained to react like robots, stop what they are doing and say "swasdee khrap" every time someone came near them, which to me is treating the staff as nothing more than slaves =;

The "Have a nice day" reference was just highlighting that 90% of the time a person "TRAINED" to say something, does so without ever meaning it ......... check out guy at BK couldn't care less if I have a nice day or not, but still thoughtlessly blurts it out to every customer :roll:

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 20, 2019, 4:53 pm

We have crotchety farangs who get upset at being called a farang and those same people talk about phony smiles. All the kids in my village call me a farang and the majority of them give me a warm smile. Those who don't smile are too shy to even look at the farang.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 20, 2019, 5:01 pm

glalt wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
We have crotchety farangs who get upset at being called a farang and those same people talk about phony smiles. All the kids in my village call me a farang and the majority of them give me a warm smile. Those who don't smile are too shy to even look at the farang.
Farang just means ANYONE not Thai national don't see any issue with being called one, but the Thais that do know me call me by my first name not just ferang. Still the the smiles you get here too from young to old many smile and very friendly unless I'm out with the misses then no smiles at all lol

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 20, 2019, 5:02 pm

glalt wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
It depends on their connotation of the word farang. If in their minds it means you are a dumb buffalo, or less than them, and they are giving you a knowing smile, then not so good.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 20, 2019, 5:53 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 20, 2019, 2:43 pm
Perhaps if Mat actually read my post, he would see that at no point do I "insultingly assert" anything towards either the owners or staff at said resort [-X which I have, as yet not visited and so cannot pass any sort of judgement (although Mat's recommendation may lead me to stay there the next time I visit the area.)
My comments were in fact to do with the sentence that I quoted, that is, inferring that all staff at resorts should be trained to react like robots, stop what they are doing and say "swasdee khrap" every time someone came near them, which to me is treating the staff as nothing more than slaves =;
The "Have a nice day" reference was just highlighting that 90% of the time a person "TRAINED" to say something, does so without ever meaning it ......... check out guy at BK couldn't care less if I have a nice day or not, but still thoughtlessly blurts it out to every customer :roll:
So glad we cleared that up , John. :-k ;) :D :lol:

Return to “Travel & Transport”