The HORN

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

The HORN

Post by Doodoo » June 3, 2019, 7:05 pm

I have been told various times not to use the Vehicles Horn while driving. The reason for this is that in Thailand this will upset the Thai diver to the point of vicious retaliatory actions ( This was seen last week when 2 individuals attacked an ambulance with an ax(videoed))

I have asked these people ,"Then what is the purpose of the horn that was factory installed?"

Does anyone have a LOGICAL answer

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: The HORN

Post by deankham » June 3, 2019, 7:10 pm

The horn is fitted so that you can give a 'toot' while driving past any Buddhist shrine. A bit like the one next to my in-laws house where the whole village blasts their horns day and night :)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 3, 2019, 7:21 pm

AH yes Thanks

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 3, 2019, 7:49 pm

The horn is to replace the not used or wanted demister
Thailand not need said thing

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 4, 2019, 6:42 am

deankham wrote:
June 3, 2019, 7:10 pm
The horn is fitted so that you can give a 'toot' while driving past any Buddhist shrine. A bit like the one next to my in-laws house where the whole village blasts their horns day and night :)
Same for the creek crossing near Chum Phae.

Just wait until you experience night time running with the headlights suddenly turned off "to save petrol" .

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » June 4, 2019, 4:18 pm

The real reason I have been told is that using the horn wears out the battery - which is also why Thais do not like using light at night.....
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 4:40 pm

Joepai
Thanks If that is the case of wearing the battery down that is probably why a high percentage of folks never replace the taillights on their vehicles and use the electric windows

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Mrs. Shado says honking the horn is just considered to be impolite mai soo phaap (ไม่สุภาพ). Apparently, it's acceptable under certain circumstances but generally Thais save the horn honking for driving past the wat or a shrine.

Yes, I know the explanation seems incongruous considering all of the other Thai driving habits but I find it rather nice to not have horns constantly blaring as is common in many countries. So, according to the wife horn honking is just bad form and could easily provoke a negative reaction from other drivers. I guess it's more cultural than anything.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 4, 2019, 5:08 pm

I never honk the horn before running over unsuspecting Soi dogs, sleeping on the road, it might annoy the neighbourhood.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » June 4, 2019, 6:32 pm

I love my horn.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 4, 2019, 9:20 pm

I do honk my horn at dogs and kids. One in a while at stupid careless stupid drivers That's what the horn is for.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2019, 9:33 pm

Mine gets most use telling the misses to stop yakking with the neighbours and get in the car as we were supposed to be somewhere 10 minutes ago =;

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » June 5, 2019, 12:43 am

It's a bizarre country and gets more bizarre still out in the sticks. There's so much that could cause stress to a grumpy old man in Thailand I think part of the immigration process should be to spend a month in the local temple meditating and destressing. Preferably not one that locals honk at when they drive past.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 5, 2019, 6:28 am

I jump on the horn everytime some other driver , Thai or farang , yes farang , make me jump on the brakes because of their stupid and often dangerous driving . Especially when they stop at a junction see you coming at a rate of knots and pull out in front of you anyway . Usually driving a pimped out Vigo or Fortuner .Or in the Thais case a beat up old pick up , belching out smoke that they dont care if its written off , that then proceeds in front of you , in the middle of the road at an artharitic snails pace .

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 5, 2019, 6:31 am

saint wrote:
June 5, 2019, 6:28 am
I jump on the horn everytime some other driver , Thai or farang , yes farang , make me jump on the brakes because of their stupid and often dangerous driving . Especially when they stop at a junction see you coming at a rate of knots and pull out in front of you anyway . Usually driving a pimped out Vigo or Fortuner .Or in the Thais case a beat up old pick up , belching out smoke that they dont care if its written off , that then proceeds in front of you , in the middle of the road at an artharitic snails pace .
If stupid and dangerous driving bothers you, you are living in the wrong place.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 5, 2019, 6:32 am

saint wrote:
Well said I do the same with these idiots

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 5, 2019, 3:04 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 5, 2019, 6:31 am
saint wrote:
If stupid and dangerous driving bothers you, you are living in the wrong place.
I never said it bothers me . Thats your interpretation , not mine .I just do not yield to these halfwits who try to bully you into submission . Unless they are driving a 10 wheeler or bigger . That why theres a horn fitted . To show your distaste at their stupid antics . Funny how ive survived on the roads for over 15 years here with not so much as love kiss .!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”