Wat Pa Pu Khon (วัดป่าภก้อน)

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
parrot
udonmap.com

Wat Pa Pu Khon (วัดป่าภก้อน)

Post by parrot » June 8, 2019, 2:22 pm

We finally visited this site yesterday.....about a 300km roundtrip from K. 18. The temple occupies several thousand rai of forested land in the Nahm Som Park reserve. Lots of trees, varieties of bamboo, and steep hills lead to the top of the range where the temple is situated. The massive statue is carved out of 43 blocks of Italian marble, each block weighing 15-25 tons. The head is carved out of a single block weighing about 50 tons. If someone told me the statue was carved in a 3D printer, I'd be impressed, but I'm more impressed knowing someone probably took hammer and chisel to the marble. I saw the Pieta in NYC in 1964 and even then, as a young teenager, there was something awe-inspiring at seeing it in person. I felt the same way seeing the white marble statue yesterday.
The roads from Udon to the temple are all well-paved....an easy drive all the way. There were not many people there when we visited.....Friday, workday, school day .....that's why we went.
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Re: Wat Pa Pu Khon (วัดป่าภก้อน)

Post by MusicalBars » June 8, 2019, 3:27 pm

great to think of how much that italian marble will have cost instead of going to the poor and needy not just blaming budhism all are the same you dont need gold or marble to worship

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2019, 5:18 pm

Not a big temple buff but we visited this one about 2 years back and it was one of the nicer ones. If I go again, I will bring my own pakamah as the ones they have are scandalously short for a 6'4" Jockinese.

I also discovered Nayung coffee at the restaurant upstairs and have been a fan ever since.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 15, 2019, 7:57 am

MusicalBars wrote:
June 8, 2019, 3:27 pm
great to think of how much that italian marble will have cost instead of going to the poor and needy not just blaming budhism all are the same you dont need gold or marble to worship
I went a few years ago. IIRC the entire place was privately paid for by one wealthy woman.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 15, 2019, 8:42 am

I loved the place , dispite it being a bit of a ball ache to get to . However it appears to have turned into a right money spinning tourist trap , a bit like Kham Chanute .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

Udon Map wrote:
June 15, 2019, 7:57 am
MusicalBars wrote:
June 8, 2019, 3:27 pm
I went a few years ago. IIRC the entire place was privately paid for by one wealthy woman.
Khun Mae Piyawan Veerawan Ubasika คุณแม่ปิยวรรณ วีรวรรณ. She was wealthy. She played a big role in getting the government to donate the forest land and I'm guessing she paid out a chunk of change. But none of the literature that I've read mentions an amount.
As for tourist draw....well, of course it is.
Attachments
fdd458b1cb43cc16431b3421660a64ec.jpg

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 15, 2019, 9:26 pm

Thanks for mentioning this wat, Khun Parrot, I plan to visit in the next month or two.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 17, 2019, 8:18 am

nice place, big tourist draw, not too far from Udon and for most of the way the roads are quite good until you get to Nam Som/Na Yung area and they go winding up through the hills. Best to NOT go on a weekend or Thai holiday since the tourist coach buses will be jamming the road up through the hills for about the last 25km. Across the valley from the Temple area is the Nam Som Na Yung national park which has some good waterfalls and a concrete path up the side of the ridge that's a bear to climb for an older geezer but good views of the various falls.
Phu Pa Kon:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wat+P ... 02.1181706

Nam Som/Na Yung park:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wat+P ... 02.1181706
Dave

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”