debit cards

General Udon Thani topics only!
sparrow

debit cards

Post by sparrow » June 11, 2019, 9:03 pm

I need advice please , i have a Bangkok debit card (master card) it has 6 digits ,i have been told
i will not be able to use it at a Uk ATM as they require 4 digits , I checked today at Bangkok Bank
and they told know problem you can use in Uk . Have any Uk expats used their 6 digit card at
ATM in Uk for cash ,

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: debit cards

Post by deankham » June 11, 2019, 10:03 pm

Yes I've used cards with 6 digit pins in the UK
, however not a Bangkok Bank card. But regardless your 6 digit pin should work.
...Whether BK bank allows you to withdraw money in the UK is another matter!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 11, 2019, 10:10 pm

Sometime back an ATM ate my card. Rather than try to get it back, I cancelled it and got a new card. The new card required a six digit PIN.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 11, 2019, 10:18 pm

sparrow wrote:
June 11, 2019, 9:03 pm
I need advice please , i have a Bangkok debit card (master card) it has 6 digits ,i have been told
i will not be able to use it at a Uk ATM as they require 4 digits , I checked today at Bangkok Bank
and they told know problem you can use in Uk . Have any Uk expats used their 6 digit card at
ATM in Uk for cash ,
An ATM machine does not differentiate between 4 or 6 digits, you put in the pin and press the enter key, then info is sent. You might need to let Bangkok Bank know you are traveling so card doesn't get declined, happened to me a few years ago when visiting thailand and did not notify U S. bank

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

[/quote]
An ATM machine does not differentiate between 4 or 6 digits, you put in the pin and press the enter key,
[/quote]

Not sure about that. I have a Kasikorn 6 digit ATM card and last year in Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City, atms from a certain bank ( can t remember the name ) would allow you to key in only 4 digits. You were presented with a screen showing 4 little squares to enter the 4 digits. I used other Vietnamese bank ATM without a problem. Have a nice day.

sparrow

Post by sparrow » June 12, 2019, 4:31 pm

Thank you for your replies, Today i have sent an email via my online banking , asking Santander if my card
will work withdrawing cash from one of their Atms in the Uk.I will let you all know their answer when i receive it .

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 12, 2019, 8:15 pm

the-monk wrote:
June 12, 2019, 12:43 pm
An ATM machine does not differentiate between 4 or 6 digits, you put in the pin and press the enter key,
[/quote]

Not sure about that. I have a Kasikorn 6 digit ATM card and last year in Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City, atms from a certain bank ( can t remember the name ) would allow you to key in only 4 digits. You were presented with a screen showing 4 little squares to enter the 4 digits. I used other Vietnamese bank ATM without a problem. Have a nice day.
[/quote]
Haven't seen those type ATM'S in years, hopefully OP will not see in UK on his trip.

sparrow

Post by sparrow » June 13, 2019, 8:12 pm

Today i received a reply from Santander Uk , I told them my card was Bangkok Bank debit card , master card
with a six digit pin number .They said they accept all master cards and gave me a phone number if i had a
problem with my card .so problem solved so six digits or four all accepted .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”