and you thought prices were high in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

and you thought prices were high in Udon

Post by RLTrader » June 14, 2019, 2:58 pm

£20 for a boiled egg, one piece of toast and a mug of tea? The story of a modern London cafe... and it’s self service!
you have to cook your own egg, toast your own toast, then grab a cup of tea. WTF
D88SknqXoAEk-Mf.jpg
So this is the cafe. Just near Wood Street overground station. It’s nothing flashy...
D88Sw_QXUAEW6N5.jpg large.jpeg
No wonder it is empty. :-)

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: and you thought prices were high in Udon

Post by parrot » June 14, 2019, 3:14 pm

In the past two years we've been to Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, NKP, Nongkai, Loei, ........always on vacation, so we don't complain about the prices. But when we return to Udon, we always comment about how cheap things are in Udon compared to other parts of the country. And that's Udon city prices. If you shop in the Nongwahsaw market, you can usually get your food items even cheaper.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 14, 2019, 3:37 pm

Thanks RL, now i know where NOT to go for breakfast.... How about a decent breakfast-place in London and Udon. Thanks. Saturday morning , for the last several years, i have been going to the Thai local market to buy SANKAYA.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 14, 2019, 4:54 pm

Should have checked the menu :lol:

Bet you ordered the le oeuf poulet avec French toast which is bloody expensive after Brexit :-$

If youd had the tea in a Gooners mug it comes at half price :lol:

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 14, 2019, 8:45 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:54 pm
Should have checked the menu :lol:

Bet you ordered the le oeuf poulet avec French toast which is bloody expensive after Brexit :-$

If youd had the tea in a Gooners mug it comes at half price :lol:
Starts good point but maybe news hasn't filtered through to Udon but Brexit hasn't happened - yet

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 14, 2019, 9:30 pm

And it looks like a greasy spoon cafe.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 15, 2019, 12:04 am

RLTrader wrote:
June 14, 2019, 2:58 pm
£20 for a boiled egg, one piece of toast and a mug of tea? The story of a modern London cafe... and it’s self service!
you have to cook your own egg, toast your own toast, then grab a cup of tea. WTF

So this is the cafe. Just near Wood Street overground station. It’s nothing flashy...

But this isn’t the whole story is it?

The full article actually says breakfast is free in this cafe, you only pay what you want & the journalist chose to contribute £20.
There are boiled eggs (no other way) toast, jam, porridge, tea or coffee & you can have any combination.
37% of children in London are living in poverty, there’s also a massive homelessness problem. This cafe is open to *everyone*, and is “Free - pay what you like, if you like”. If you want to pay, there’s a small donation box next to where you drop off your dirty plates. But nobody sees, and nobody will notice if you can’t put anything in.

The idea is that if you can afford to put something in, maybe contribute for some other breakfasts too which I think is brilliant.

The website is www.eggsandbread.co.uk
Last edited by Niggly on November 12, 2019, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2019, 1:41 am

Thanks for the bigger picture. It would be shocking if that really cost 20 quid.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Just goes to show how half a story can be so misleading , and fake news can be spread so quickly .
We live in dangerous times im afraid . Great idea though , and good luck to them in the future .

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 15, 2019, 11:03 am

Niggly wrote:
June 15, 2019, 12:04 am
RLTrader wrote:
June 14, 2019, 2:58 pm

But this isn’t the whole story is it?

The full article actually says breakfast is free in this cafe, you only pay what you want & the journalist chose to contribute £20.
There are boiled eggs (no other way) toast, jam, porridge, tea or coffee & you can have any combination.
37% of children in London are living in poverty, there’s also a massive homelessness problem. This cafe is open to *everyone*, and is “Free - pay what you like, if you like”. If you want to pay, there’s a small donation box next to where you drop off your dirty plates. But nobody sees, and nobody will notice if you can’t put anything in.

The idea is that if you can afford to put something in, maybe contribute for some other breakfasts too which I think is brilliant

The website is www.eggsandbread.co.uk
I guess caught spreading Fake News. Picked it up from a post on Twitter. Shows what a little research can accomplish.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 15, 2019, 10:20 pm

Awhile back I posted that a burger and beer in my favorite pub here in Canada was close to what I would pay in Thailand, well not anymore. Went out yesterday to find the price has almost doubled. A double burger is now about a 1000 baht.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 15, 2019, 11:27 pm

1000 baht for a 1000 calories and 1000 mg of sodium, not a bad deal... What else did you get with the burger ?

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 16, 2019, 2:09 am

the-monk wrote:
June 15, 2019, 11:27 pm
1000 baht for a 1000 calories and 1000 mg of sodium, not a bad deal... What else did you get with the burger ?
A couple handfuls of fries and a weak smile from a rather rotund waitress, oh excuse me. I meant to say server and she wasn't rotund, can't say that. She was just a healthy Canadian female. ;)

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 16, 2019, 8:46 am

Perhaps not. The Canadian female might have high blood pressure and be pre-diabetic unless she's athletic and active and into something such as sumo wrestling.

I think beer in Thailand is pretty expensive for a developing country. It's not much more expensive in New Zealand than Thailand. Wine is probably cheaper here.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 16, 2019, 9:12 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 16, 2019, 8:46 am
Perhaps not. The Canadian female might have high blood pressure and be pre-diabetic unless she's athletic and active and into something such as sumo wrestling.

I think beer in Thailand is pretty expensive for a developing country. It's not much more expensive in New Zealand than Thailand. Wine is probably cheaper here.
The average healthy Canadian female is actually overweight and is definately unhealthy but it would be considered to be offensive if you said so. We do have to be polite and politically correct here, Turdeaus orders.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 17, 2019, 8:15 am

that 1000 baht burger must have been an "Artisan" burger eh? There's a place in Charlotte NC run by some Korean-American guys called "Bang-Bang Burger" which has quite good "Artisan" burgers (what the Hell makes it Artisan??) but the prices are ridiculous at $12-15 a burger..
Dave

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Having just been to NZ this year, I disagree on the price of beer
Thai beer is way cheaper
Even with the bad exchange rate here in Thai about 2.50 to 3 dollars nz for a large bottle lucky to get a stubbie for that in NZ

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 17, 2019, 10:18 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 17, 2019, 8:15 am
that 1000 baht burger must have been an "Artisan" burger eh? There's a place in Charlotte NC run by some Korean-American guys called "Bang-Bang Burger" which has quite good "Artisan" burgers (what the Hell makes it Artisan??) but the prices are ridiculous at $12-15 a burger..
Just a plain double cheeseburger with some fries, I could not believe it. A year ago it was half that price. The world is going to hell I say.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

noosard wrote:
June 17, 2019, 9:53 am
Having just been to NZ this year, I disagree on the price of beer
Thai beer is way cheaper
Even with the bad exchange rate here in Thai about 2.50 to 3 dollars nz for a large bottle lucky to get a stubbie for that in NZ
There are quite few brands where the price of a single large bottle of beer is 75 to 80 baht in a supermarket or liquor store. Some of those bottles are a bit larger than the Thai large ones. The price of beer in a bar here is pretty steep.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

"that 1000 baht burger must have been an "Artisan" burger eh? There's a place in Charlotte NC run by some Korean-American guys called "Bang-Bang Burger" which has quite good "Artisan" burgers (what the Hell makes it Artisan??) but the prices are ridiculous at $12-15 a burger.."

He MUST be paying his staff $15 per hour to charge that for a burger

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”