schools obsessed with uniforms

General Udon Thani topics only!
dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » June 19, 2019, 11:10 am

I have to say its driving me crazy. My oldest boy (10) goes to christian school who are being over the top now with uniforms
MONDAY red waistcoat , white shirt , blue shorts
TUESDAY green shirt , blue shorts
WEDNESDAY red waistcoat , white shirt , blue shorts
THURSDAY boy scouts , 2 different coloured socks , 2 different coloured neckchiefs
FRIDAY sports , yellow shirt and green trousers , or blue shirt and black trousers , or pink shirt , purple shirt or white shirt , also new school football strip and last week a mens thai wrap around dress ?

My youngest boy just started pre- school at 3 yrs old

MON pink bib with white shirt and blue shorts ,or on buddha days all white top and trousers ( they got upset when i refused to dress him in all white saying he is to young to be indoctrinated into buddha so on those days he does not go )
TUES cream top and blue shorts
WED green elephant shirt with black shorts
THUR checked shirt with blue shorts
FRI sports red shirt and black shorts

Nearly all these uniform are bought from someone at the school so a bit of corruption i think . To me schools and hospitals in thailand are just businesses to make money
I read a reprot from a professor in bkk recently , he stated thia schools are obsessed with uniforms and out of school activities so much they do not have time to teach.
Every week there is a buddha day, mothers day , childrens day etc all of which take the schools days to prepare for . I know my wife is a teacher and sometimes takes a week just to prepare for mothers day.
Every school in thailand all pupils have to be boy scout or girl guide , thats millions of bahts for uniforms . In uk boy scouts are something you join outside of school

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: schools obsessed with uniforms

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2019, 4:43 pm

You forgot to mention dragonz, the now regular habit at the Christian Friendship School of changing the dress for a particular day at 24 or 48 hrs notice. Last term on one occasion I was told on Tuesday night after school that my daughter needed to wear the same uniform on the Wednesday as she had worn on Monday (someone visiting I think). Thankfully it wasn't raining so 18:00 in wash machine, 19:00 outside to dry overnight 06:30 back in for ironing and 07:00 hung on daughter ready for school. Would have had NO CHANCE if it rained :evil: :evil: :evil:

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 19, 2019, 5:33 pm

dragonz wrote:
June 19, 2019, 11:10 am
I have to say its driving me crazy. My oldest boy (10) goes to christian school who are being over the top now with uniforms
MONDAY red waistcoat , white shirt , blue shorts
TUESDAY green shirt , blue shorts
WEDNESDAY red waistcoat , white shirt , blue shorts
THURSDAY boy scouts , 2 different coloured socks , 2 different coloured neckchiefs
FRIDAY sports , yellow shirt and green trousers , or blue shirt and black trousers , or pink shirt , purple shirt or white shirt , also new school football strip and last week a mens thai wrap around dress ?

My youngest boy just started pre- school at 3 yrs old

MON pink bib with white shirt and blue shorts ,or on buddha days all white top and trousers ( they got upset when i refused to dress him in all white saying he is to young to be indoctrinated into buddha so on those days he does not go )
TUES cream top and blue shorts
WED green elephant shirt with black shorts
THUR checked shirt with blue shorts
FRI sports red shirt and black shorts

Nearly all these uniform are bought from someone at the school so a bit of corruption i think . To me schools and hospitals in thailand are just businesses to make money
I read a reprot from a professor in bkk recently , he stated thia schools are obsessed with uniforms and out of school activities so much they do not have time to teach.
Every week there is a buddha day, mothers day , childrens day etc all of which take the schools days to prepare for . I know my wife is a teacher and sometimes takes a week just to prepare for mothers day.
Every school in thailand all pupils have to be boy scout or girl guide , thats millions of bahts for uniforms . In uk boy scouts are something you join outside of school
Teach them early that appearance is much more important than intellectual development.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 19, 2019, 7:27 pm

I don’t think you are correct newtovillagelife. It’s not about the appearance but the discipline of wearing a uniform, something the West has drifted from at times.
But I do agree that the number of uniforms is a little over the top. My young one has started at Ratchanu pit ??? This years and involved a whole new wardrobe. Nothing like dragonz’s kids. Is that just a Christian school thing.
Dragonz is it not hypocritical to send a child to a religious Christian school then deny 1 Buddha day at preschool. He may not know the difference at 3 and just wants to be with his mates.
We are not going to change it so go with the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » June 19, 2019, 7:51 pm

I am pretty sure like me Dragonz has sent his older child to the Christiam school as better standerd and less students than the Thai goverment run schools without going all out private I have seen very little practice of being indoctrined into the christian faith infact they still have mostly budhist scriptures adorning the boards apart from Christmas the kids are not at school for most of the christian festivals so it dosent get overpowering unlike Buddism which they are brainwashed into from birth.
As for discipline coming from wearing a uniform well it certainly dosent work apart from the fake whais of respect there is zero discipline

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » June 19, 2019, 8:04 pm

Thais love their uniforms.
I recall seeing a car parking attendant in Bangkok for the first time all those years ago.
I thought he was some type of high brass or an intergalactic overlord due to his uniform,but no,he was just directing cars in the car park.
Voiceover for hire.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 19, 2019, 8:11 pm

Barney wrote:
June 19, 2019, 7:27 pm
I don’t think you are correct newtovillagelife. It’s not about the appearance but the discipline of wearing a uniform, something the West has drifted from at times.
My stepson (19 y o) has just started university in Udon - and is compelled to wear a uniform. :shock:

Getting a bit silly, when university is supposed to promote free thinking, rather than discipline.

I also can see the OP's point, with so many different uniforms at primary and high school. I know that some families really struggle with what seems to be an extravagant expense.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Yep my 24 yo step daughter wore a uniform right up to the time she graduated last year. She did 2 internships in her final year with a bank and NOK Air where she (we) had to buy uniforms for them as well? (hated being with NOK!).

Bottom line = 5 years of tertiary education, books, uniforms, accommodation hire, spending money and additional expenses down the s#^t tube. She is currently working as a clerk at some dive of a motor cycle pawn shop in Udon. NO chance of getting a position to suit her quantifications in govt, banking etc. without a buy in exceeding 300K Baht (our neighbor paid 450K to get his daughter a low ranking govt, position wage being 15000 Baht a month).

I positively REFUSE to pay blatant corruption.

Her long time boyfriend studied sports psychology (WTF???). He is filling/servicing ATM machines and only doing that because he has a high ranking uncle in a security firm.

Is it all worth it? Do the math.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 20, 2019, 6:36 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 20, 2019, 6:27 am
Yep my 24 yo step daughter wore a uniform right up to the time she graduated last year. She did 2 internships in her last year with a bank and NOK Air where she (we) had to buy uniforms for them as well? (hated being with NOK!).

Bottom line = 5 years of tertiary education, books, uniforms, accommodation hire, spending money and additional expenses down the s#^t tube. She is currently working as a clerk at some dive of a motor cycle pawn shop in Udon. NO chance of getting a position to suit her quantifications in govt, banking etc. without a buy in exceeding 300K Baht (our neighbor paid 450K to get his daughter a low ranking govt, position wage being 15000 Baht a month).

I positively REFUSE to pay blatant corruption.

Her long time boyfriend studied sports psychology (WTF???). He is filling/servicing ATM machines and only doing that because he has a high ranking uncle in a security firm.

Is it all worth it? Do the math.
Moral of the story seems to be, send your kids to the cheapest school, and the money saved, can be spent to purchase them a half decent job.

Or if you want to offer them a good education, and better chances of employment, move the family back to Falangland and forget about retirement in Thailand.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 20, 2019, 7:56 am

My experience is quite different. I paid for my oldest step-daughter, now 31, to do a business and computing degree at Mahasarakham University. After graduating she pissed around trying some self-employment with computer work in Udon. That didn't work out so she headed for corporate life in Bangkok around 8 years ago and has done well. She changes jobs every year or two for something better. She's often wearing uniforms. I think she's earning about 40,000 baht a month now and planning how to go higher. As far as I know she hasn't purchased a job in Bangkok and her work experience makes her marketable. She's a pretty determined person.

She has tried to get government or bank jobs in Udon but now I see what the problem is. I knew of it but it's more widespread than I thought. I keep encouraging her to aim higher in Bangkok. Paying for her education was one of the best things I did.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Raoul Duke wrote:
June 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
I recall seeing a car parking attendant in Bangkok for the first time all those years ago.
I thought he was some type of high brass or an intergalactic overlord due to his uniform,but no,he was just directing cars in the car park.
Got to agree with you . Uniforms and medals . They do love a medal ribbon .
First time i went to the land office all the staff were in official looking beige uniforms , all with at least one ribbon .
I asked the wife if they were all ex service persons , they looked that impressive .
No , she answers , what made you think that . All the medals , i said . Oh , they get those for so many years service , or they went on a certain course or to a special seminar . Didnt seem to help them know their job much though . :roll:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2019, 10:28 am

saint wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:31 am
Raoul Duke wrote:
June 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
Got to agree with you . Uniforms and medals . They do love a medal ribbon .
First time i went to the land office all the staff were in official looking beige uniforms , all with at least one ribbon .
I asked the wife if they were all ex service persons , they looked that impressive .
No , she answers , what made you think that . All the medals , i said . Oh , they get those for so many years service , or they went on a certain course or to a special seminar . Didnt seem to help them know their job much though . :roll:
Pretty much the same as at home then with our military ribbons and medals :-"

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » June 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Barney wrote:
June 19, 2019, 7:27 pm
But I do agree that the number of uniforms is a little over the top. My young one has started at Ratchanu pit ??? This years and involved a whole new wardrobe. Nothing like dragonz’s kids. Is that just a Christian school thing.
Dragonz is it not hypocritical to send a child to a religious Christian school then deny 1 Buddha day at preschool. He may not know the difference at 3 and just wants to be with his mates.
We are not going to change it so go with the flow.

sorry its not one day at the school , it is one day at the temple praying . they walk from the school to the temple all dressed in white like the clothes they wear in asylums . Its called christian school but do not teach christianity , as far as i am concerned schools are for education not indoctrination

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » June 20, 2019, 11:29 am

This is just the tip of the iceberg . My teacher wife has about 6 uniforms same as do all government workers and bank employees etc . Military style on monday boy scouts for TEACHERS! on thursdays .Why should teachers be forced to wear scouts uniforms . ludicrous !! black clothes for respect days,pink or blue shirts for royal birthdays and a few more i am not sure of .
As far as i am concerned the whole existence of a school is for education , not for taking to a temple . Lucky not like the rest of the world where can have a dozen religions in 1 class . what would they do then . I am agnostic and really despise all religion for the evil they have done around the world over the ages and up to the present day and making the 3/4 yr old kids dress in all white and go to the temple to pray seems like extremism to me .
Problem is parent treat teachers like vip`s and are scared to complain unlike me who have told them i will not buy all their uniforms and if they do not like it i will not send the little boy to school . He only goes on non buddha mondays, thursdays and friday sports days .Does not go on tues cream elephant shirt day or wed green elephant shirt day .
I know some of the parents struggle massively to buy these stupid uniforms.

I know in uk a long time ago it was deemed a bad thing to make children wear uniforms and in state schools only do so at 12 yrs old then just white top black trousers or skirt same every day of the week

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » June 20, 2019, 2:56 pm

saint wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:31 am
Didnt seem to help them know their job much though . :roll:
If my memory serves me correct that gent was impressive with a whistle so he may have deserved those Gaddafi esq medals/ribbons!
Voiceover for hire.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 20, 2019, 3:20 pm

I think the topic has digressed from just Thai schools and should be falang obsessed with uniform.
Uniforms are everywhere.
Just passed through Udon airport, Beijing airport, Ulaanbaatar airport and the capital Ulaanbaatar. Uniforms a plenty in all those locations in a military style.
Maybe uniforms are a way of the hierarchy keeping us in line with their order.
The unwashed will never comply.
Tomorrow when I wake there will be 6,000 sheep all dressed the same in blue and orange at the mine.

If you were looking for good looking girls in or out of uniforms Mongolia is a nice view.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2019, 3:50 pm

I'd heard you Southern Hemisphere guys were dressing your sheep up now for the "selfies" ..... boyo's to our West still prefer them in black or white :lol:

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 20, 2019, 4:36 pm

I happen to think that uniforms are a good thing. I'm not talking about a number of different uniforms for different days. Kids from wealthy families wear expensive designer clothes and kids from poor families are looked down on because they wear bargain market clothes. Uniforms can be sold, traded or passed down to younger smaller kids. It's not like they are going to go out of style.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 20, 2019, 4:46 pm

glalt wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:36 pm
I happen to think that uniforms are a good thing. I'm not talking about a number of different uniforms for different days. Kids from wealthy families wear expensive designer clothes and kids from poor families are looked down on because they wear bargain market clothes. Uniforms can be sold, traded or passed down to younger smaller kids. It's not like they are going to go out of style.
I think everyone is in agreement on the point you are making, that's not what this thread was about.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 4:47 pm

glalt wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:36 pm
WTF
Some common sense? Are you sure your on the right site?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”