dengue fever

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
timmy
udonmap.com

dengue fever

Post by timmy » June 13, 2018, 7:10 am

does any body know of any cases of " Dengue fever " here in Udon , as the village headman has just been on the tannoy system , and said 1 person had died and 2 others were in the government hospital , and that people were coming latter today to spray the whole village , most years I can remember the village being sprayed but never any mention of dengue , I,ve got a feeling it might be BS , but cant understand why say it if not true …..

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: dengue fever

Post by vincemunday » June 13, 2018, 7:14 am

Yes, my nephew had it a little while back made him really ill, we've not seen our soi sprayed for years now, we're just a stones throw from UD Town and used to get sprayed at least once a year.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 13, 2018, 9:57 am

The Dengue vector is the daytime prevalent Aedes mosquito as opposed to the nighttime Anopheles mosquito that carries malaria.

Dengue can be fatal in infants, elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, impaired immunity or otherwise poor health. The more fit and healthy victims will just feel like they've been hit by a train for a few days. It cures itself but depending on your basic physiology and levels of personal exercise, the return to full fitness varies. Anyone who has a regular sports of fitness regimen will take longer to get back to previous activity levels,ie. used to play an hour of tennis before breakfast or cycle 10 km will find 20 minutes tennis or 5 km is enough. On the other hand, the average couch potato, internet surfer may feel right as rain within a month since they have no fitness benchmark to return to.

No reason to doubt that there may have been fatality and illnesses caused by Dengue; why would the village headman lie?

They are never really proactive on these mosquito control programs but the fact that they are going to spray is a good thing no?

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 13, 2018, 10:00 am

yes Mate, Thailand is having its worst outbreak of dengue in two decades, according to Samuitimes, 126 deaths so far this year..we are 5km away from village that had Zeka, so a double whammy

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 13, 2018, 10:43 am

If you have one of those long-haired translators that have few pages, you can see all the stats for Udon as compared to the rest of the country. Udon numbers look quite tame as compared to other provinces.
http://www.thaivbd.org/n/histories/download/3507

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 13, 2018, 10:46 am

But then......the pdf at http://www.thaivbd.org/n/uploads/file/f ... 202561.pdf lists Udon province as "hazardous"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 13, 2018, 10:47 am

And more info at https://th.theasianparent.com/%E0%B9%84 ... 8%81-2561/
You can skip the translator and just use google translate on this one
The top 10 provinces in the last four weeks were Phuket, Phang Nga, Samut Sakhon, Bangkok, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Rayong, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phichit provinces. The dengue situation in Thailand was unlikely to be severe this year. But the data show that the morbidity rate is higher than normal. 0.25 and 0.26 percent mortality rate respectively, which is about twice as high as normal (normal mortality rate: 0.1).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2019, 2:39 am

"A six-year-old schoolboy has died of dengue fever in Mahasarakham’s Na Doon district, the province’s chief public health officer said on Thursday."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30371845

Anyone seen their local authorities out doing the fogging exercises? Mrs tam on the east-side of town, just off the Nong Sai junction traffic lights says the plague of 'yoong' at tam estates hasn't abated and nobody in the moobhan has seen (or heard) any foggers in action yet. Like many things, this can be requested by the local puyai bahn but ours is apparently worse than her predecessor when it comes to lifting a finger or community relations.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 28, 2019, 6:40 am

Out here in Kutchap they fog the place regularly, just last week there were 6 guys walking around our village. I was told they do it because most households keep livestock and have fish ponds, natural breeding grounds...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2019, 7:14 am

Chriss wrote:
June 28, 2019, 6:40 am
Out here in Kutchap they fog the place regularly, just last week there were 6 guys walking around our village. I was told they do it because most households keep livestock and have fish ponds, natural breeding grounds...
Good to know there Chriss.

Our problem is exacerbated by a neighbor, a boorish Thai who always steers conversations into how much money he has and how much land he owns who turned the very small swimming pool on his front porch into some sort of hatchery, either frogs, shrimp or fish. I can't tell as he has all sorts of tarps and nets around it. You would think whatever he's breeding would eat the mossie larvae but judging by the clouds of mossies emanating from this corner of his plot, I reckon all he's growing is algae! Maybe I need to drop some diesel in his pond one night.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » June 28, 2019, 8:00 am

tamada wrote:
June 28, 2019, 7:14 am
….Maybe I need to drop some diesel in his pond one night.
never ever mess with locals.
it's walking on very very thin ice.
if you have a problem with a neighbor, talk to the phuchai baan.
be careful here.
[-X

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 28, 2019, 8:57 am

tamada wrote:
June 28, 2019, 2:39 am
"A six-year-old schoolboy has died of dengue fever in Mahasarakham’s Na Doon district, the province’s chief public health officer said on Thursday."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30371845

Anyone seen their local authorities out doing the fogging exercises? Mrs tam on the east-side of town, just off the Nong Sai junction traffic lights says the plague of 'yoong' at tam estates hasn't abated and nobody in the moobhan has seen (or heard) any foggers in action yet. Like many things, this can be requested by the local puyai bahn but ours is apparently worse than her predecessor when it comes to lifting a finger or community relations.
Bring a few neighbors with you to the local tetsabahn office and inquire. Most every tb office has a Facebook page where you can inquire about such things as well. Dengue fever stats are tracked nationally through local and provincial health offices.....and high numbers don't reflect kindly on a community.......so, as is in most countries, squeaky wheels get the grease.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2019, 10:01 am

samuel wrote:
June 28, 2019, 8:00 am
tamada wrote:
June 28, 2019, 7:14 am
….Maybe I need to drop some diesel in his pond one night.
never ever mess with locals.
it's walking on very very thin ice.
if you have a problem with a neighbor, talk to the phuchai baan.
be careful here.
[-X
See my earlier comment:
... Like many things, this can be requested by the local puyai bahn but ours is apparently worse than her predecessor when it comes to lifting a finger or community relations.
The PTT station is nearer anyway.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 28, 2019, 10:08 am

parrot wrote:
June 28, 2019, 8:57 am

Bring a few neighbors with you to the local tetsabahn office and inquire. Most every tb office has a Facebook page where you can inquire about such things as well. Dengue fever stats are tracked nationally through local and provincial health offices.....and high numbers don't reflect kindly on a community.......so, as is in most countries, squeaky wheels get the grease.
Good idea parrot. I am currently on a whaling ship off the WA coast but after we've killed them all and I get home, me and Mrs tam will find out where our local tessabahn and PHO is and see what we can find out. Apart from Kuhn Hoity Toity, the neighbors are all fed up with the phuyai over plenty of other things so we'll run a passing play instead.

mickthai
udonmap.com

Post by mickthai » June 29, 2019, 1:07 am

I caught Dengue fever about 7 years ago in Kut Chap and was told by the doctors at AEK hospital and was sent home to die on the 6th night ( Dengue is a 7 day cycle )
as my red blood cell count was so low, woke up the next morning with my two girls and wife and shouted “ Fxxk me, I’m still alive!” Proved them wrong obviously! Went back to the UK a week later straight into physical work and collapsed 2 days later. The UK doctor said I was bonkers going back to work ( after a year not working in Thailand and getting Dengue ) I was told it can take the body up to 3 months to recover, a very serious disease with no vaccine or cure although I am now immune to that strain, there are 3 more strains which I am not immune to.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 30, 2019, 3:08 am

how does it compare to west nile virus would you say ?
the only good Tory is a lavatory

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 30, 2019, 9:22 am

Seen nothing in KhamKling , Bantad way this year . Last year they was around a few times during the rainy season .
This year nada > Noticed a lot more mossies this year too .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 30, 2019, 4:53 pm

yartims wrote:
June 30, 2019, 3:08 am
how does it compare to west nile virus would you say ?
I've never had West Nile virus but have had dengue in Bangkok about 8 years ago. Looking at cdc.gov website for West Nile, it claims 8 in 10 people have no symptoms. I think with dengue it's pretty much 100% everyone will display the symptoms to varying degrees of severity. For the few West Nile victims that do show symptoms, they look broadly the same as dengue's and for infants, elderly and those with deficient immune systems, the warnings are pretty much the same.

I was diagnosed within 24-hours of feeling like a truck had hit and backed over me at work on a Friday morning in Bangkok. Back to see the doc 3 days later for the platelet count that indicated that raw Scottish power was kicking dengue's ass and the slow recovery aided by bowls of khaotom since the smell of regular food put me off. Felt right as rain after 10-12 days though. Mate of mine from the US who had been visiting around the same time had a tougher time getting a diagnosis when he got sick about 12 days after he got back to Houston. After learning I had dengue, he asked his doc to test and Bam! that was it. It's not endemic in the south Texas swamps so they hadn't tested for it.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 1, 2019, 9:29 am

Yartims With the aid of Google "Dengie vs West Nile Virus"

Answer
"West Nile virus causes an infection that is spread by certain species of mosquitoes, which become infected when they bite infected birds. The mosquitoes spread the virus to people. Most West Nile virus infections cause either no symptoms or symptoms that are so mild that people do not realize they have been infected. In rare cases, it can lead to inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) or the tissues surrounding the brain and the spinal cord (meningitis)."

"Dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) are viral diseases transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, usually Ae. aegypti. The four dengue viruses (DEN-1 through DEN-4) are immunologically related, but do not provide cross-protective immunity against each other."

So, no, they are NOT the same, just both transmitted by mosquitoes. Hope this answers your questions!

Return to “Health & Beauty”