Sourcing a few blank recordable DVDs

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Sourcing a few blank recordable DVDs

Post by ajarnudon » July 4, 2019, 8:08 pm

I haven't bought a DVD of any description for more than ten years. However, I have recently found the need to buy a couple (few) of blank recordable DVDs. My search so far has been unsuccesful.
Now I don't want to attract 'Why would you want to ... when ...' posts. If that is your thinking, start your own thread. I am simply asking for help on where I can buy some blank recordable DVDs in Udon.
Thanks in advance
John

Muni3
udonmap.com

Re: Sourcing a few blank recordable DVDs

Post by Muni3 » July 4, 2019, 9:06 pm

I have 2 DVD's (sorry only two..thought I had more but a bunch are blank CD's). You're welcome to all of them, DVD & CD. I'm at the T-Bar side of town so if you like, I can leave them there for you to pick up

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 4, 2019, 10:44 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
July 4, 2019, 8:08 pm
I haven't bought a DVD of any description for more than ten years. However, I have recently found the need to buy a couple (few) of blank recordable DVDs. My search so far has been unsuccesful.
Now I don't want to attract 'Why would you want to ... when ...' posts. If that is your thinking, start your own thread. I am simply asking for help on where I can buy some blank recordable DVDs in Udon.
Thanks in advance
John
The electronics shop in central or landmark plaza
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 5, 2019, 2:01 am

I find that understanding the differences among DVDs for recording somewhat confusing. I would like to record you tube discussion sessions and podcasts. Does anyone care to expound or comment on the subject?

Here is one explanation that I found on the internet.

"What is the difference between the DVD-R and DVD+R formats?

Answer: DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and DVD+R (pronounced "DVD plus R") are nearly identical formats. The discs look the same and are both supported by most DVD-ROM drives and DVD burners. The only difference between the formats is the way they determine the location of the laser beam on the disc. DVD-R discs use tiny marks along the grooves in the discs, called land prepits, to determine the laser position. DVD+R discs do not have land prepits, but instead measure the "wobble frequency" as the laser moves toward the outside of the disc.

The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer and was released in the second half of 1997. DVD+R was developed by Sony and Philips and was introduced in 2002. Companies that support DVD-R include Pioneer, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Panasonic, while companies that support DVD+R include Sony, Philips, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh, and Yamaha.

However, most of these companies now develop hybrid DVD drives that support both DVD-R and DVD+R formats. They are known as DVD?R or DVD?RW drives. When looking for media for your DVD drive, make sure it ends in "-R" if you have a DVD-R drive or "+R" if you have a DVD+R drive. If you have a DVD?R drive, you can use either format. DVD-R is still more popular than DVD+R, but since they are both widely supported, it should not matter which format you choose."

I appears to me that I must purchase a particular brand or type of DVD burner.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » July 5, 2019, 8:27 am

To answer your question, I recently bought a few at a small computer repair\cell phone shop on Soi Nongbua, it's two doors down (south) of the 7-11, same side of the street.

(I tried all the electronics shops at Central, none carried them.)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 5, 2019, 11:37 am

Having written hundreds of DVDs the DVD-R is the most used and easily available.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » July 7, 2019, 7:37 am

You will be able to find DVD-Rs at the Amorn Electronics store on the ground floor at the big C.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 7, 2019, 9:01 am

An old friend of mine had passed away (RIP) and I inherited an HP computer from him. I had bought it for him through Lazada. I tried it out and discovered the hard drive was shot. Looking back when I had bought it, I discovered that it had a three year in your house warranty. Since it had been bought in my name I contacted HP and sure enough they sent out a repairman who replaced the hard drive.

I mention this because at my Jomtien Condo, I was using a much faster i5 computer. It got dropped and destroyed the plastic front of the case. The power button no longer worked and the USB front ports were broken out of the case. I got tired of using the slow inherited HP and took the i5 computer to Tuk Com in Pattaya to have it put in a new box. For 1,800 baht I had basically a new computer. I used it for a month or longer and discovered that the DVD didn't work. I took off the side cover and discovered that they had not even hooked it up, no cables. I decided that CD's and DVD's are pretty much obsolete and now difficult to even find. I never did hook it up. I haven't missed it. Time moves on and so have I.

At home, I too needed a blank DVD. I went through my collection and found a couple of used re-writable DVD's. I formatted them and used them rather than search for new ones. That may be an option for you.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » July 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Will try Soi Nongbua when I get back

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”