chines android tablets/phones

General Udon Thani topics only!
dragonz
udonmap.com

chines android tablets/phones

Post by dragonz » July 9, 2019, 7:10 am

Yesterday i bought a 10.1" tablet from china through lazada . Tablet was cheap but worked ok and was better for my little boy to watch youtube than my 5" phone . Also good for me when i am in hotels and hotel tv is worse now than 10 yrs ago and i can watch the news etc rather than my heavy noteboook .
Went to load the news channels aps from playstore ie fox news , cnn bbc etc . NO fox news or cnn!!!Did not show up but a lot of chinese news channels did.BBC was ok.

Put my android 7 tv box , samsung phone android 8 and the android 8 tablet together and did some playstore searches . The tv box and phone were the same but the tablet was not . I am in thailand so the searches should surely be the same ?
It had lots of chinese and indian aps . I know google blocks aps in china but i thought it was done through the internet . Can they put software in the phone to stop fox and cnn showing up ? Tablet is no use to me if it blocks american apps

Essex
udonmap.com

Re: chines android tablets/phones

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 11:25 am

Hi Dragon,

it is not unusual for cheap Chinese android devices to have apps that both block, and apps that contain spyware.

I would look in Settings, Apps for anything that looks suspicious and FORCE STOP and try again. Might take a bit of experimenting. Also look at browser properties and see if there are extensions. If using Chrome for instance, you can delete and reload from play store, or if you are proficient enough, get the download n your phone, transfer to tablet and install.

Good luck, if you get really caught, send me a PM and I can give you a call.
I am independently poor

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Dragonz, pull up the following website on your tablet's internet browser. You're probably using Google Chrome. Once the site is open, click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the window and click on "Add to Home Screen". That will store an icon on your Home page and it will act just like an app. From this site you can access Fox News, MSNBC News and CNN News. Hope this helps!

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/fo ... annel.html
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 11:48 am

Semper, if there are other apps monitoring internet access, or extensions in Chrome, I doubt if this will work. Worth trying, but.....
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Essex wrote:
July 9, 2019, 11:48 am
Semper, if there are other apps monitoring internet access, or extensions in Chrome, I doubt if this will work. Worth trying, but.....

I had similar problems with an Android phone from Ulefone. I finished up reloading a clean copy of Marshmallow Android and all my problems disappeared.
I am independently poor

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 9, 2019, 1:00 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
July 9, 2019, 11:29 am
Dragonz, pull up the following website on your tablet's internet browser. You're probably using Google Chrome. Once the site is open, click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the window and click on "Add to Home Screen". That will store an icon on your Home page and it will act just like an app. From this site you can access Fox News, MSNBC News and CNN News. Hope this helps!

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/fo ... annel.html
Dragons, I just uploaded that website to my Android device and it works great except there are too many advertisements. However, they also have an app called "live news now" that can be installed from Google Play and it works beautifully. Please try that!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » July 9, 2019, 1:01 pm

I opened my browser, chrome and the built in one , searched for cnn and fox and did the same on my samsung both using android 8 . No problem on my samsung but on the tab cnn says web page unavailable for cnn and both for fox opened the page but no pictures or videos just blank squares

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » July 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

I was really hoping that somebody would know if it was possible or likely that the chinese would put software into the device to block apps and websites they do not want chinese people to watch . I thought that would be done with your isp and search engines not with software . I would return it if i thought they had put malware into it . I know when i search websites and playstore i get a lot of chinese results that i do not get on my samsung even though i am in thailand with 3bb ??
No matter i will probably try to return it if possible

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 9, 2019, 5:24 pm

What make and model is the tablet?

It may be possible to flash a different ROM to get rid of all the Chinese garbage.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 5:30 pm

Dragon,

Commonplace for malware and blockers on cheap Chinese tablets. Most browsers go to internet via port 80. It is not difficult for software to intercept traffic to port 80 and block unwanted sites I would suggest this the likely cause.

Jack is correct, but I have also found that standard flash access utilities do not work on Chinese devices, regardless anybody using such software should be fairly competent IT people with a fair knowledge of Android.
I am independently poor

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 9, 2019, 6:57 pm

what do you expect with cheap chinese tablets ? they are all full off bloatware...the only decent chinese made tablet is actually a very good one ,is the xiaomi mi pad 4 /plus , but even with these still no official global rom (they say it is coming) , only multi language rom but not OTA ...so no updates, but you can remove easy the chinese bloatware on these ,and are very good tablets ....as info .. ;)

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

I have one of the kopkei, but battery life is awful. Nice one, apart from that one limitation, I always carry a portable charger
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

Essex wrote:
July 9, 2019, 7:18 pm
I have one of them kopkei, but battery life is awful. Nice one, apart from that one limitation, I always carry a portable charger
I am independently poor

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 9, 2019, 7:25 pm

kopkei wrote:
July 9, 2019, 6:57 pm
what do you expect with cheap chinese tablets ? they are all full off bloatware...the only decent chinese made tablet is actually a very good one ,is the xiaomi mi pad 4 /plus , but even with these still no official global rom (they say it is coming) , only multi language rom but not OTA ...so no updates, but you can remove easy the chinese bloatware on these ,and are very good tablets ....as info .. ;)
I have to disagree.

I have recently purchased a Chuwi Hi9 Pro for US$130, which comes with virtually stock Android 8, and a bare minimum of bloatware. The quality is fine, and the performance (for my usage) is excellent.

It probably won't get an Android update, but that doesn't particularly worry me. I will look for a ROM on XDA at a later date if I feel the need.

ps pretty much all tablets are "chinese made". :D
Last edited by jackspratt on July 9, 2019, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2019, 7:43 pm

I recently bought a Huawei MediaPad T5......to replace my 5 year old Samsung Galaxy TabS. I was going to replace with another Samsung tablet, but the only available versions were a few years old. The Huawei runs Android 8.0.0, 16gb internal storage and SD card capable, virtually zero apps preinstalled (google, chrome, calendar, play store, gmail), a 4980mAh battery, 10" screen. 5990 Baht in the Banana Store (Central). I could have gotten it slightly cheaper through Lazada....but I needed it and I needed it now. I've had it for a month and no problems.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » July 9, 2019, 8:31 pm

Sorry i did not mean it was full of bloatware . It came with nearly nothing installed . Not even youtube It just will not carry out my searches correctly and some news apps on playstore do not appear as in cnn and fox . The web browser will also not open fox or cnn but bbc and msnbc are ok .
When i search playstore for fox and cnn it just has chinese news apps and cnn indonesia turkey etc . It works ok , speakers are a bit quiet . I am sure there is a way to install the pkk files etc to install these apps but as i may want to send it back i do not want to mess with it to much and i would never use it for booking.com or agoda or even lazada as i do not trust what is in it. I think this tablet was made for china only and even though some thais give good reviews it is only the anti western apps that seem to be blocked

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 9, 2019, 11:44 pm

Your tablet has one of three problems.

1. It has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

2. it has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

3. It has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

Forget about all else. Are
you planning on fixing it or sending it back?
I am independently poor

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 10, 2019, 8:45 am

If you are considering fixing it, it would be very helpful to know the make and model.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 10, 2019, 9:39 am

The first Chinese phone I bought was a top of the line Xiaomi for my wife. I bought that when the third main board in her Galaxy S5 failed. When the S5 came back from the shop, she told me to use it because her Xiaomi was faster and better. I used it until it died again and finally threw it in the trash. After that I bought myself a mid range Xiaomi that was pure Android with none of those irritating apps that you cannot remove. My wife uses all that social crap and her phone has a really hard life. Since then I bought a Meizu because of the camera. It has a truly excellent camera and the phone was less than $200. I have changed the launchers on all three phones, downloaded from Play store. I have tried several launchers and settled on POCO launcher from Xiaomi on all three phones. When/if her Xiaomi dies, she will have the choice of my Xiaomi or the Meizu. Since I don't use any of that social crap, I really don't need a top of the line super fast phone although I do like a good camera.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » July 10, 2019, 12:14 pm

Essex wrote:
July 9, 2019, 11:44 pm
Your tablet has one of three problems.

1. It has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

2. it has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

3. It has software loaded at the factory that blocks a number of identified sites.

Forget about all else. Are
you planning on fixing it or sending it back?
yes i worked that out . i understand software to block sites on the internet but i do not understand when i search playstore i cannot see cnn or fox and get lots of sites chinese sites that i have not searched for . Surely they cannot control playstore in thailand and surely would need googles cooperation . I have already started return proceedings. It is a cheap non branded make i bought for me to watch the news etc and my little boy to watch youtube kids . It is ok but no good if i cannot watch the news

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”