US Soc. Security Questionnaire

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

US Soc. Security Questionnaire

Post by LoneTraveler » June 28, 2019, 10:13 am

I usually receive the annual SS Administration questionnaire around mid-June. The one in which you have to answer a few questions and return it by a certain date or they say your benefits may cease. To date I have not receive it. There is no way to contact this Office, no phone number or email. Written questions sent to the Office go unanswered. I contacted the Manila Office only to be told there is no way to contact this office and have to wait for the next mailing in October.

Therefore has any Americans receiving SS have their annual questionnaire? I ask because maybe they stopped sending them out as a budget cut measure.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: US Soc. Security Questionnaire

Post by parrot » June 28, 2019, 10:40 am

A number of military veterans in Udon and widows of military veterans received their form in May. You should have received yours already.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » June 28, 2019, 10:46 am

Received mine a week ago. Returned it next day "return receipt requested."
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 28, 2019, 11:22 am

Should receive mine around 2029.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 28, 2019, 1:16 pm

I had received a letter (would have to look) but maybe 6 or 8 months ago, saying that they would Not be sending out these forms SSA-7161 anymore, but if there were changes, I needed to notify them. So when I received said form a couple of weeks ago, I said to myself WTF.

Ah, life under the DT

Update: Checked and received notice dated 9/18/2018
and on the back has 800 number for in US and contact "Federal Benefits Unit" outside and US web site WWW.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/foreign.htm to find them. Which does not seem to work. :D
Hope this helps?
Last edited by RLTrader on June 28, 2019, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » June 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

I received mine on June 12th . Mailed it back registered Mail on the 15 th June . I just checked status and it is currently in JFK New York .

waltpong
udonmap.com

Post by waltpong » June 28, 2019, 11:07 pm

I received mine a week ago sent it regular post thailand did this last year also cause registered mail wants 1200 baht here in phen.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » June 29, 2019, 3:27 am

RLTrader wrote:
June 28, 2019, 1:16 pm
I had received a letter (would have to look) but maybe 6 or 8 months ago, saying that they would Not be sending out these forms SSA-7161 anymore, but if there were changes, I needed to notify them. So when I received said form a couple of weeks ago, I said to myself WTF.

Ah, life under the DT
It is quite likely that President Trump's kept promise to reduce federal regulations could have caused some changes to SS administration paperwork. For example: If I remember correctly, for every new agency regulation that agency must remove two regulations.

"Social Security is the single largest federal budget item. The FY 2019 budget estimates it will cost $1.046 trillion." This massive agency is likely to have a matching massive bundle of regulations which will require massaging, whether needed or not, as is the nature of giant bureaucracies.
Last edited by TJ on June 29, 2019, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 29, 2019, 3:31 am

TJ wrote:
June 29, 2019, 3:27 am
RLTrader wrote:
June 28, 2019, 1:16 pm

Ah, life under the DT
It is quite likely that President Trump's kept promise to reduce federal regulations could have caused some changes to SS administration paperwork. For example: If I remember correctly, for every new agency regulation that agency must remove two regulations.

"Social Security is the single largest federal budget item. The FY 2019 budget estimates it will cost $1.046 trillion." This massive agency is likely to have a matching massive bundle of regulations which will require massaging as is the nature of giant bureaucracies whether needed or not.
Or it could be that the Thai postal delivery man just decided not to deliver the mail

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 29, 2019, 9:03 am

confused me for a minute until I looked up the form.. It's actual title is: " REPORT TO UNITED STATES SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION BY PERSON RECEIVING BENEFITS FOR A CHILD OR FOR AN ADULT UNABLE TO HANDLE FUNDS" So unless you are administering SS funds for someone it wouldn't apply. Here's the form: https://ec.usembassy.gov/wp-content/upl ... a-7161.pdf
Dave

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » June 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

Be Thankful that the US Social Security payment didn't get "Frozen" (YET) As my UK pension was some years ago .My contention is that if you have earned a pension it should be paid no matter where you choose to retire .

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » June 29, 2019, 2:28 pm

seagulls wrote:
June 29, 2019, 2:22 pm
Be Thankful that the US Social Security payment didn't get "Frozen" (YET) As my UK pension was some years ago .My contention is that if you have earned a pension it should be paid no matter where you choose to retire .
I'm not anticipating YET as being in the cards.

Americans still pay federal income taxes no matter where they live in the world, which doesn't happen for most other expats who leave their home countries. The US government still gets their pound of flesh.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » July 3, 2019, 3:22 pm

Post by waltpong » June 28, 2019, 11:07 pm

I received mine a week ago sent it regular post thailand did this last year also cause registered mail wants 1200 baht here in phen.

My Letter was sent Registered Mail and cost 85 Baht and should be the same from any thai Mail office .Where did you come up with a 1200 baht figure ?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 3, 2019, 9:42 pm

Wife sent ours, receipt says Air 19฿ EMS World 85฿ for a total of 104฿. Seems a little higher this year.

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » July 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

I sent the letter on the 15th June registered Mail . As of yesterday 11th July it is still in JFK .It has never taken this long before to reach its destination in PA .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
June 28, 2019, 10:13 am
I usually receive the annual SS Administration questionnaire around mid-June. The one in which you have to answer a few questions and return it by a certain date or they say your benefits may cease. To date I have not receive it. There is no way to contact this Office, no phone number or email. Written questions sent to the Office go unanswered. I contacted the Manila Office only to be told there is no way to contact this office and have to wait for the next mailing in October.

Therefore has any Americans receiving SS have their annual questionnaire? I ask because maybe they stopped sending them out as a budget cut measure.
I wouldn't worry about it, I don't. I haven't received mine either. As far as mine, there has never been any certain date. Sometimes it comes as late as October You would certainly receive a reminder before they even threaten to cut you off.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » July 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Yes, I am not as concerned as I used to be. This happened to me once before but I did receive it in October rather than June. I was told there are 2 mailings. If the do not receive a response from the June mailing they send out another form in October. I think you are right, hopefully, they will give a notice before cutting off funds.

ezrider
udonmap.com

Post by ezrider » July 14, 2019, 6:24 pm

The child benefit form used to come mid-year i think but just recenly got a letter informing me the SSA has stopped sending out the forms for child payments. Any changes must still be reported. Could start back up though. I used to fill it out online after logging in to my SS account. Was never a problem

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » July 15, 2019, 10:56 am

ezrider wrote:
July 14, 2019, 6:24 pm
The child benefit form used to come mid-year i think but just recenly got a letter informing me the SSA has stopped sending out the forms for child payments. Any changes must still be reported. Could start back up though. I used to fill it out online after logging in to my SS account. Was never a problem
Did you set up your SS on-line account in the US? I have been here over 12 years and I have yet been able to access the US Soc. Sec. website. A friend managed but was told he had to register a US address to use the site. The only SS help is by using the Manila Office for expats and that is useless. Too many times the response was "sorry cannot help you"

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 15, 2019, 12:33 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
July 15, 2019, 10:56 am
ezrider wrote:
July 14, 2019, 6:24 pm
Did you set up your SS on-line account in the US? I have been here over 12 years and I have yet been able to access the US Soc. Sec. website. A friend managed but was told he had to register a US address to use the site. The only SS help is by using the Manila Office for expats and that is useless. Too many times the response was "sorry cannot help you"
Years ago (maybe back in 2006) was able to set up access the US Soc. Sec. website, but then later on it stopped let me to log in, comes up with some error message, but can't remember. The Manila Office always helps me thru email with any problem I have had.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”