Do you agree or not to..

General Udon Thani topics only!
DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Do you agree or not to..

Post by DuiDui49 » July 15, 2019, 11:36 am

I'm NOT bashing Thais whith this,okey.

... is this a typically developing-world problem,like Thailand is trying to develop into a 4.0 developing world.

..People who’ve grown up not asking questions don’t know the answers - they don’t even know why asking questions helps. To them, you’re just annoying them unnecessarily. Either that, or they’ll think you’re doing it to ‘make them look bad

I'm thinking in the term of why Thais don't like to ask for help,like my wife for example..We go to do some shopping,i ask if i can help her find the product she has been looking for for 5 min,INSTEAD of asking some staff for help.Another thing is critical thinking..asking questions at home or in school...

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Re: Do you agree or not to..

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2019, 11:43 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:36 am

... is this a typically developing-world problem,like Thailand is trying to develop into a 4.0 developing world.

..People who’ve grown up not asking questions don’t know the answers - they don’t even know why asking questions helps. To them, you’re just annoying them unnecessarily. Either that, or they’ll think you’re doing it to ‘make them look bad

I'm thinking in the term of why Thais don't like to ask for help,like my wife for example..We go to do some shopping,i ask if i can help her find the product she has been looking for for 5 min,INSTEAD of asking some staff for help.Another thing is critical thinking..asking questions at home or in school...
Where ignorance is bliss... Tis folly to be wise.... Thailand in a nutshell.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 11:45 am

Disagree. My wife always asks for directions if she does not know the way to a place, and asks people in shops and wats for assistance in locating items and other things. This is true of her family and friends. Thais do not always think and act the same way just like people around the world do not act according to a national trait.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2019, 11:49 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:45 am
Disagree. My wife always asks for directions if she does not know the way to a place, and asks people in shops and wats for assistance in locating items and other things. This is true of her family and friends. Thais do not always think and act the same way just like people around the world do not act according to a national trait.
Your wife and her family are not the. Norm period.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Ok,what about the children and school..if you have any.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 11:52 am

As for critical thinking, the Thais I know are very politically aware and ask tough questions about the direction of the country, the strong baht and about events that happen around the world..

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2019, 11:56 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:52 am
As for critical thinking, the Thais I know are very politically aware and ask tough questions about the direction of the country, the strong baht and about events that happen around the world..
Good for you, you get to hang out with educated people, most of us are with the uneducated, village Thais.

You must be one in a million.
Last edited by newtovillagelife on July 15, 2019, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 11:56 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:49 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
How would you know if they are or not? Try to listen to their conservations in Isaan, Thai or whatever. You might be surprised by what you hear.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 15, 2019, 11:59 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
..me living here fulltime for 17 years find your answers "out of the norm" too for sure..but good for you.I guess the Thais you know may have been either educated abroad,or comes from familys that speaks English more or less fluently..If not,well then i stand corrected.

Thanks for your input.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 15, 2019, 12:03 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:

How can you possibly know this?

What is your reference size amongst a population of close to 70 million?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 12:03 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:56 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Good for you, you get to hang out with educated people, most of us are with the uneducated, village Thais. You must be one in a million.
You should try to get informed before you open your mouth, My wife has a high school education. Her three sisters and their husbands have the basic grade school education. I have spoken with very few academics or university educated Thais since I left Chiang Mai U. in 1988.

You might be acquainted with newspapers, TV news, and social media. Thais use these too and become informed.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
July 15, 2019, 11:59 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
..me living here fulltime for 17 years find your answers "out of the norm" too for sure..but good for you.I guess the Thais you know may have been either educated abroad,or comes from familys that speaks English more or less fluently..If not,well then i stand corrected.

Thanks for your input.
Stop guessing ! My wife knows very little english. Her relatives know less. and our friends also do not know English.
Last edited by Laan Yaa Mo on July 15, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:

Hmm, that's what is said about American Men. :lol:
Will guess I have a 1 in 70 million wife.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Maybe, NTVL, you are wrong.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2019, 12:19 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 15, 2019, 12:16 pm
Maybe, NTVL, you are wrong.
And maybe you are wrong, we will leave it at that.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 15, 2019, 12:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:

How can you possibly know this?

What is your reference size amongst a population of close to 70 million?
My wife was born in a small village in Sakon Nakhon, and has a high school education. So, your supposition is incorrect. We'll leave it at that.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 15, 2019, 12:33 pm
My wife was born in a small village in Sakon Nakhon, and has a high school education. So, your supposition is incorrect. We'll leave it at that.
My wife is college educated/degreed and works for the government.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:

When we bought our considering buying our first Toyota truck (a Tiger) in 1996, I wanted to know the truck's fuel capacity. I asked my wife to ask the salesgirl but she wasn't interested in knowing that info. I realized then I had to learn enough Thai to deal with some things myself. It took a few years.......but I don't deal with that sort of problem anymore.
Some Thais don't question authority (ask questions) for the same reason as some Japanese would never be caught licking an ice-cream cone while walking down the street.
Google "why American men don't like to ask directions" and read the 326,000,000 reasons. Every culture has their quirks.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 15, 2019, 2:56 pm

parrot wrote:
July 15, 2019, 2:36 pm
When we bought our considering buying our first Toyota truck (a Tiger) in 1996, I wanted to know the truck's fuel capacity. I asked my wife to ask the salesgirl but she wasn't interested in knowing that info. I realized then I had to learn enough Thai to deal with some things myself. It took a few years.......but I don't deal with that sort of problem anymore.

Some Thais don't question authority (ask questions) for the same reason as some Japanese would never be caught licking an ice-cream cone while walking down the street.

Google "why American men don't like to ask directions" and read the 326,000,000 reasons. Every culture has their quirks.
You're correct about quirks in every culture. 100% agree.

Fortunately, my wife has learned the skills and benefits of planning and asking the right questions. It's something that we rarely need to discuss anymore. By coincidence, by the time we bought our second 4-wheel vehicle, the fuel tank size was of importance to her too -- for reasons that most of us already know.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 15, 2019, 3:58 pm

I've removed a number of off-topic and inappropriate posts. Can we try to stay at least in the same neighborhood as the topic, please?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”